Timed breeding using CIDR's- success rate?

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Just curious, what would the expected rate of success be if a CIDR was put in a cow for 7 days, removed a shot given at that time, then AI 72 hours later?
Thanks!
Susie

about 50% on timed breeding give or take a few %. You would get better results if you watched for heat and breed on standing heat.The difference is you are only going to be breeding the cows that actually came into heat. With the cidr protocol, every cow does not respond to the synchronization. So on time breeding , you are inseminating some cows that arent even in heat.

Newbie here.

Neighbor gets 70% using his method with CIDRS.

Okay, now for the newbie question. I work. My husband works. We aren't home during the day. Can you please give me some hints as to how to tell the cows are in standing heat without having a bull right handy? We plan to AI.

There are a number of methods to determine heat if you are there watching cows. We have used the Estrus Alert patches and they seem to work well. You can tell if the cow has beed ridden just once or several times. They aren't very expensive, just over $1 each and usually come in a pack of 50. Vet supply houses or semen suppliers would be your best bet for locating.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl":3ou0j374 said:
There are a number of methods to determine heat if you are there watching cows. We have used the Estrus Alert patches and they seem to work well. You can tell if the cow has beed ridden just once or several times. They aren't very expensive, just over $1 each and usually come in a pack of 50. Vet supply houses or semen suppliers would be your best bet for locating.

Farmgirl

Or if you're real fruagl (cheap like me) you can paint the tail heads with a paint stick like they use in sale barns

dun

We tried the paint stick method and found that it didn't work real well for us. Maybe the way we did it.

I work fulltime also so I can't heat detect like I want to, so next year I'm going to use Lutalyze. I've used it in the past and had very good luck with it. I AI in the fall since that's what works for me, but working 10 hour days leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark is the pits.

Bobg

Anyone use Kamar Heat Detectors? Probably generally the same thing as mentioned here, but from what I've seen they work quite well. Dairy I work for just paints the tails for most of the herd. Cheap way that works, at least for me.

To heat detect we use kamars since we both work. To synch, we use CIDRs, lutalyse, and cystorelin. We AI and give every one a kamar. When it turns red we rebreed. Only had to rebreed twice this year. Seems to work for us.

If you dont mind spending a little money , and want to know exactly when every cows stands without having to spend alot of time watching the cattle, I would go with the electronic HeatWatch system. We use it exclusively and love it . Infact I would not consider breeding any other way. The cost of this system will be made back very fast in labor savings and increase in conception rates.

What is the HeatWatch system? What does it do? We haven't AI'd in years so I'm not up to par on the new stuff. :oops:

JustACountryGirl":10teb8ls said:
To heat detect we use kamars since we both work. To synch, we use CIDRs, lutalyse, and cystorelin. We AI and give every one a kamar. When it turns red we rebreed. Only had to rebreed twice this year. Seems to work for us.

I think that the Estrus Alert is a great idea. Can you tell me about the lutalyse and cystorelin? I don't know what this is or does? You had to rebreed twice with how many cows?

I want to use some expensive bulls on my cows. Cows (we just bought) are getting older. Angus--Traveler grand daughter, Right Time daughter, and Backstop daughter. I'd really like to get replacement heifers out of them. They are 7 and 8 in 2005, so we don't have much time.

Neighbor said he used one straw her cow, and had a 70% success ratio on his cows. He has about 8 I think. Sounds good to me. I think he gives some shot, then puts in a CIDR then pulls it, give another shot and breeds. Probably just what you're describing.

txag":2z6162xw said:
msscamp":2z6162xw said:
What is the HeatWatch system? What does it do? We haven't AI'd in years so I'm not up to par on the new stuff. :oops:

it's an electronic system that does the heat detection for you.

http://www.heatwatch.com/index.html

Thank you! :) Wow, that looks pretty cool! I'm thinking you have used it? Do you have any problems with the patch containing the transmitter getting detached?

ABS puts out studies that the results won't be that much lower with timed breeding than detecting induvidual heat. The cost and savings in labor and time for me is why I time breed with around 78% sucess rate.

msscamp":14fa5j5e said:
Thank you! :) Wow, that looks pretty cool! I'm thinking you have used it? Do you have any problems with the patch containing the transmitter getting detached?

we haven't used it but have looked into it. i've heard there is some loss of the patches but overall, fairly good retention.

part of our reluctance to purchase is the fact that our cattle are run in separate groups & there is some distance between the places. we've also been told there can be transmittance problems if your place is hilly or even if there are lots of trees. some friends of ours use the system & really like it. each patch has a number & the computer keeps track of each time that animal is mounted & the length of time it was mounted so you can tell if they're the one standing or another is just trying to mount. pretty neat & can save a lot of time detecting heats.

If you are going to time breed, when exactly do you breed? We put some cidr in last saturday and was going to leave in till Monday after noon. Heard leaving them in 10 days will help groupe them better than 7 days. Should a person breed them 60 hours after pulling out cidrs and giving shot?

Leaving the cidr's in for an extra three days could hekp with those cows that have weak heats or never express any heat. I usually breed at 60 to 65 hours. Yes, at that point they are usually still standing, but I get them when I know they are hot. I have managed to run a consistant 80% using one unit per cow, and it only increases by roughly 6 or 7 percent by using two units per cow. I would say that 75 to 80 percent conception should be a realistic goal.

The cow we had bred using a CIDR didn't take -- AI guy said he usually bred 72 hours after pulling the CIDR. It's his job, but I though she should have been bred the night before, which would've been 60 hours or so--- she just seemed to far when 72 hours came . We ended up taking her to the neighbor where she ran with both his Hereford bulls for 4 cycles. Sold her as probably bred-- we'll see, I'd be really surprised if she's open.

Susie

msscamp":y7xrotou said:
txag":y7xrotou said:
msscamp":y7xrotou said:

it's an electronic system that does the heat detection for you.

http://www.heatwatch.com/index.html

Patch retention is over all very good. In certian cases were patches were left on cows , say for 60 days or more , you could have a few to come off. Ususally , you can hardly tear it off. I use this system and sell them also.

Latest posts