Time

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I saw this and thought it was worth sharing as something we should think about:

"Time is like a stream. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment in life."

There is a saying that Rick Pitino uses, "Live in the precious present".

I see so many people who are bitter over some injustice they suffered. They spend such very very very precious time in thoughts of the injustice. It is wasted water over the dam. I realize we all have different spiritual beliefs but one thing I think we all can agree on is this: no one gets out alive in their biological body. Every one will lose their looks, their bodies will wear out, their money, their property, they loved ones AND yes, their mortal life. The life that eats, breathes, feels sorrow, feels pain, laughs, and works.

I sincerely try every day that I am in my biological existence to focus on the positive. I see so many who focus on the negative. Maybe it is rewarding to them. But my rewards in life are my accomplishments how ever great or insignificant. Building a fence, the satisfaction of breeding a cow, petting my calves, my dog laying in my lap in the evening, talking to my son, fixing something good to eat or drinking a good shot of whiskey.

Life goes by like a stream of water, it never comes back!

Thank you for sharing this. I try to abide by the same philosophy...even grow from past injustices or transgressions.
Petting the cows really resonated with me. I recently purchased an Angus bull named Leroy from the daughter of a cattleman friend who very recently died of cancer. The operation was too much for his daughter to keep up with so she was dispersing.
So every day, i take a scoop of feed out to the bunk, throw it in and Leroy comes up to eat. I stand there and give him a rub or 2 on his shoulders and think about what a great person his previous owner was.

And before anyone jumps me, no im not making a pet out of a bull, i have an escape route and a pistol should Leroy change his disposition. And i know the risks a bull presents.

after much research I have found 10 out of 10 people will die and statistics will back me up. I make my bed every morning where I can say I accomplished at least one thing for the day, hopefully I can do more but by golly I want to start the day with at least one accomplishment. I am a blessed woman, I have a husband that loves me and I love him right back, I have two wonderful sons, I get along great with their significant others and my grandkids think GG hung the moon. Raven thanks for shareing life is like a stream and the older I get the faster it seems to be running past, but it has been a great ride!

Gizmom

Well Ma'am..Time is the eternal river..................I suggest we not try to swim upstream
Desert Jack...Tremors3 ...Back to perfection.

Dam, I remember when that song came out. I thought he was dead by now.

gizmom":2ii8toe7 said:
after much research I have found 10 out of 10 people will die and statistics will back me up. I make my bed every morning where I can say I accomplished at least one thing for the day, hopefully I can do more but by golly I want to start the day with at least one accomplishment. I am a blessed woman, I have a husband that loves me and I love him right back, I have two wonderful sons, I get along great with their significant others and my grandkids think GG hung the moon. Raven thanks for shareing life is like a stream and the older I get the faster it seems to be running past, but it has been a great ride!

Gizmom
Start my day the same way...in the bathroom.
Job1 accomplished..on to the rest of the day, be it extremely short or sunrise to sunset.

But, made a promise a few days ago, that I would live enough for 2. Gonna try to keep it.

the way people are.. starring at the screens/phones/tablets all day... They don't even "see" things. They dont' hear those birds chirping.. they don't see that amazing sunset.. they don't even see the beauty of blowing leaves..

Sad for them. What a waste of a life to go through it on a computer screen.

But.. I did just watch some scientists talking about how its around a 35% chance we are already living in a 'matrix' type manipulated life with computers feeding us everything

Bright Raven":4sxgphg8 said:
dun":4sxgphg8 said:
Dam, I remember when that song came out. I thought he was dead by now.

He played the role of Mingo on the TV series Daniel Boone played by Fess Parker.
I remember him from the Ames Brothers

ddd75":35z3m3mr said:
the way people are.. starring at the screens/phones/tablets all day... They don't even "see" things. They dont' hear those birds chirping.. they don't see that amazing sunset.. they don't even see the beauty of blowing leaves..

Sad for them. What a waste of a life to go through it on a computer screen.

But.. I did just watch some scientists talking about how its around a 35% chance we are already living in a 'matrix' type manipulated life with computers feeding us everything

And here I am reading this on a computer monitor, and you're telling me this is a waste of my life, and you took the time on your gizmo to post it! I'm confused. :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AnWWj6xOleY

I was 16, working at a water blasting company part time when this song came on the shop radio. The owner of th he company, who was quite philosophical, commented on the depth of the song. Which in turn prompted him to explain the frailty of the human condition to a teenaged boy(read invincible), the closest thing we have to immortality, and the real value/wealth of relationships.
You know, I have had the privilege of knowing some really great people in my travels.

bball":qq3o9z8p said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AnWWj6xOleY

I was 16, working at a water blasting company part time when this song came on the shop radio. The owner of th he company, who was quite philosophical, commented on the depth of the song. Which in turn prompted him to explain the frailty of the human condition to a teenaged boy(read invincible), the closest thing we have to immortality, and the real value/wealth of relationships.
You know, I have had the privilege of knowing some really great people in my travels.

Those words summarize what a person could spend a part of each day thinking about.

bball":1ml03k7e said:
Thank you for sharing this. I try to abide by the same philosophy...even grow from past injustices or transgressions.
Petting the cows really resonated with me. I recently purchased an Angus bull named Leroy from the daughter of a cattleman friend who very recently died of cancer. The operation was too much for his daughter to keep up with so she was dispersing.
So every day, i take a scoop of feed out to the bunk, throw it in and Leroy comes up to eat. I stand there and give him a rub or 2 on his shoulders and think about what a great person his previous owner was.

And before anyone jumps me, no im not making a pet out of a bull, i have an escape route and a pistol should Leroy change his disposition. And i know the risks a bull presents.

I like my bulls gentle and calm....
just like I like my cows....
I have had numerous bulls I could pet...
does not mean I did not know they could kill me as easily as I swat flies...
an animal that weighs a ton can hurt you accidentaly...
I would still rather have them calm than crazy...

oddly just this morning I shared out the below message to my e-mail list

Below is a link to a good article on training cattle to come to call.

This concept is common in the eastern United States but is generally unheard of in the West.

It is something I have done for years….

But the food reward is important…it does not have to be a great reward…just a pleasant experience. A few years ago when I first started rotational grazing I had a bull who followed me around whenever I was in the field just hoping I would open a gate….fortunately he was a quiet and calm bull…but he was hungry…

Opening a gate to new grazing does wonders…cows accustomed to that will follow you anywhere….some will even run before you trying to be the first to the new grass.

I even use a cup of feed every time I put one in the head chute for anything…..my cattle do not fear the head chute and several will go into the chute any time the gate is open and bang on the head gate wanting their cup of feed.

Many old time cattlemen think I am crazy but I can easily work my cattle by myself without stress for them or me…I have three fifteen hundred lb cows…I don't want them stressed…...two of them I can walk up to and pet in the pasture…I like calm cattle.

It is breeding season at our place and I am trying to Artificially Inseminate a couple of groups. I have bred my few cows this past weekend. But they are in with a group of the neighbors heifers….I get home right at dark…I change clothes and go to the barn and on the way call for the cows….it is dark by then…and they are in a 20 acre pasture out behind my place. I go to the barn and fire up the generator to have lights in the barn and stable and the cows come running…my cows come into the barn and wait for me to open the headlocks…they were fed in headlocks from weaning to first breeding and still all remember coming to the barn to eat.

The neighbors heifers now come running with the cows and most often ahead of the cows and stand in the barnyard waiting for a handout…we will start them through the chute next week. By breeding time half of them will auto load into the breeding chute and the rest will be no trouble.

No matter where or to whom I relate these events…..I get looked at like I am insane…..

I don't care….all I care about is the results….I am too old to fight with cattle and would rather enjoy quiet calm and productive cows. Positive reinforcement works with dogs horses and people….why would it not work with cattle?

Conversely I also believe that cattle need to know how to be driven ….but that is another subject…cattle are not born knowing how to behave…they have to be taught and not terrified.

Enjoy the article and hopefully I will find part 2 when it is published.

https://onpasture.com/2017/11/27/traini ... ow-part-1/

pdfangus":106cjxc9 said:
bball":106cjxc9 said:
Conversely I also believe that cattle need to know how to be driven ….but that is another subject…cattle are not born knowing how to behave…they have to be taught and not terrified.

This part really resonated with me. Our cows are trained to a whistle, with some sort of food reward waiting for them. It's just me and my wife, both are still green compared to most. But, anyway, we took one to the vet and the vet we use is a little, tiny woman who grew up on a cattle ranch. Our cow was circling the pen, not wanting to load but not being crazy. So the vet comes in and starts yelling and waving and whacking the cow with the sorting stick. Only thing it helped to do was get her stirred up more. We backed off and in she went. Had to load our bull last week to butcher. Used grain to get him everywhere I needed him to go. No yelling, no whacking, just letting him eat his way onto the trailer. It went so smoothly. Took some time, but everyone is healthy (well, he's not anymore) and happy. Slow is fast. I've learned a lot of things on this board, but the biggest lesson I've learned is that slow is fast.

Bestoutwest":3o9wgkqy said:
pdfangus":3o9wgkqy said:
bball":3o9wgkqy said:

This part really resonated with me. Our cows are trained to a whistle, with some sort of food reward waiting for them. It's just me and my wife, both are still green compared to most. But, anyway, we took one to the vet and the vet we use is a little, tiny woman who grew up on a cattle ranch. Our cow was circling the pen, not wanting to load but not being crazy. So the vet comes in and starts yelling and waving and whacking the cow with the sorting stick. Only thing it helped to do was get her stirred up more. We backed off and in she went. Had to load our bull last week to butcher. Used grain to get him everywhere I needed him to go. No yelling, no whacking, just letting him eat his way onto the trailer. It went so smoothly. Took some time, but everyone is healthy (well, he's not anymore) and happy. Slow is fast. I've learned a lot of things on this board, but the biggest lesson I've learned is that slow is fast.

It's kinda funny. My cows are all trained to a bell ringing because I don't yell very loud and I never could whistle very loud either. I bought my father in law a bell 5 years ago to start to train his cows with, but he just never really used it. All my cows are up at his place right now on cornstalks(45 min north). I got a call from my MIL about a week ago saying all the cows were out, some were a mile north. Deer ran through temporary fence and let them loose. I jumped in the truck and was headed north. 10 minutes later I get a call back from her saying don't bother, all but 5 or 6 were back in and the leftovers were headed in now. FIL started ringing the bell, my cows came running and his cows followed mine up. He is a believer now.

pdfangus":1mtykvln said:
bball":1mtykvln said:

I like my bulls gentle and calm....
just like I like my cows....
I have had numerous bulls I could pet...
does not mean I did not know they could kill me as easily as I swat flies...
an animal that weighs a ton can hurt you accidentaly...
I would still rather have them calm than crazy...

oddly just this morning I shared out the below message to my e-mail list

Below is a link to a good article on training cattle to come to call.

This concept is common in the eastern United States but is generally unheard of in the West.

It is something I have done for years….

But the food reward is important…it does not have to be a great reward…just a pleasant experience. A few years ago when I first started rotational grazing I had a bull who followed me around whenever I was in the field just hoping I would open a gate….fortunately he was a quiet and calm bull…but he was hungry…

Opening a gate to new grazing does wonders…cows accustomed to that will follow you anywhere….some will even run before you trying to be the first to the new grass.

I even use a cup of feed every time I put one in the head chute for anything…..my cattle do not fear the head chute and several will go into the chute any time the gate is open and bang on the head gate wanting their cup of feed.

Many old time cattlemen think I am crazy but I can easily work my cattle by myself without stress for them or me…I have three fifteen hundred lb cows…I don't want them stressed…...two of them I can walk up to and pet in the pasture…I like calm cattle.

It is breeding season at our place and I am trying to Artificially Inseminate a couple of groups. I have bred my few cows this past weekend. But they are in with a group of the neighbors heifers….I get home right at dark…I change clothes and go to the barn and on the way call for the cows….it is dark by then…and they are in a 20 acre pasture out behind my place. I go to the barn and fire up the generator to have lights in the barn and stable and the cows come running…my cows come into the barn and wait for me to open the headlocks…they were fed in headlocks from weaning to first breeding and still all remember coming to the barn to eat.

The neighbors heifers now come running with the cows and most often ahead of the cows and stand in the barnyard waiting for a handout…we will start them through the chute next week. By breeding time half of them will auto load into the breeding chute and the rest will be no trouble.

No matter where or to whom I relate these events…..I get looked at like I am insane…..

I don't care….all I care about is the results….I am too old to fight with cattle and would rather enjoy quiet calm and productive cows. Positive reinforcement works with dogs horses and people….why would it not work with cattle?

Enjoy the article and hopefully I will find part 2 when it is published.

https://onpasture.com/2017/11/27/traini ... ow-part-1/

Thanks once again for sage advice. I try to do this with my few and also and it works wonders. So many people around work them with dogs and prods but I take my time and let them set the pace. I know it is not practical for a giant operation b ut it is perfect for my size.

Latest posts