time to wean??

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
My calves are about 4 months old with the cows being rebred. The moms are really getting pulled down although the calves look good. Am I correct to think I should pull the calves off to let the moms catch up? Would it be better to leave the calves with the herd and feed the cows to put more weight on or put the calves up? I am keeping all the calves but 2 steers.

What are your cows grazing now, and what kind of shape is it in? Are the calves growing like they should? If you have to feed either now, it all comes out of the bottom line.

I'm in North Ms. There is a little grass but mostly they are just getting hay. I have 21 cows and 8 babies. I'm putting out a large round roll every other day. This lets them clean that up pretty well before getting another. The cows don't look real bad but you can see some ribs. I suppose that's to be expected with a calf nursing and being bred also. Maybe they could do with a supplement?

if there bred back and your certain of it i would leave the calves on them that's the cows job to raise a calf every year its our job to keep the cows fed & healthy pulling the calve's off to play catch up is like leaving money on the table if there not in real bad shape they got time to recoop.

rc":3iakgri7 said:
I'm in North Ms. There is a little grass but mostly they are just getting hay. I have 21 cows and 8 babies. I'm putting out a large round roll every other day. This lets them clean that up pretty well before getting another. The cows don't look real bad but you can see some ribs. I suppose that's to be expected with a calf nursing and being bred also. Maybe they could do with a supplement?

A little cottonseed meal and salt (2 and 1) will sure help and shouldn't cost much. Cow should only eat 2 to 3 pounds a day and cost about $12.00 a hundred here.

Latest posts