time for horse to settle in?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
How long do you typicaly expect for a horse to settle in once you bring her home? I know its different among horses however I have read different rules of thumb on this issue. A new mare brought into a group of 2 other horses. How long should you expect it will take for her to settle in? I have a horse that has lots of potential under saddle but is very nervous since she has been here. approx 1 week. i dont want to keep her around if this is her personality. thanks.

It may take as long as several months for her to settle in and for her to get used to you and you to her.

There can be personality clashes between horse and rider that may not show up for several months.

Give her time and don't get in a rush. She may get better and she may stay the same.

Good luck.

i go back and forth with this mare. i can sent her back so i dont want to wait to long. she is spooky in the pasture and in the stall. once i get her in the round pen and saddle her up and put the bit in she is calm and takes a bit easier than any i have. once i get on she does not walk but rather lops or as i see it walks at a fast pace. the day she was delievered she worked cows for 12 hours. she is go on whoas, legs cues and basics. since she is so spooky i am concerned about talking her in with the cows until is settle down. i dont want a run away. i am a newbie but have been at it almost everyday since i got horses. ground work and riding. thanks for the advice.

was she spooky when you looked at her in her last environ ? are stalls new to her ?

A week is really nothing in time to absorb a new environment , a new owner , and a new rider.

she was out in a rough condition from what i gathered from the last owner. it was a down and out cowboy story.

yesterday we had a real break through. less ears pinned and once i rode her for about 10 minutes in the round pen she settle down pretty good.

she is very good with leg cues, stopping, standing and general commands. very attentive to the rider. i am going to give her time. i think she was ridden pretty rough and now i see her coming out and worth the time.

Every horse is different, the stallion we bought this year was settled in, in less than a week. We bought a mare a few years ago that took about a month to settle in. A brood mare we bought a couple of years ago is still shy around me, but my wife can walk right up to her in pasture and pet her and pick up her feet and so on. It all depends, I say if you like the horse don't worry. Give her time and work it out with her. Don't push her too hard either. Being in a new place with a new owner and new horses, theres a lot to adjust to.

jvicars":2tu4c6pq said:
she was out in a rough condition from what i gathered from the last owner. it was a down and out cowboy story.

yesterday we had a real break through. less ears pinned and once i rode her for about 10 minutes in the round pen she settle down pretty good.

she is very good with leg cues, stopping, standing and general commands. very attentive to the rider. i am going to give her time. i think she was ridden pretty rough and now i see her coming out and worth the time.

Sounds like you need to do some ground work first. It's not hard to de-spoke a horse, you just need to de-sensitize her a bit, but don't do that while she's under you for good measure. Find out what she spokes at, and work her out of it, she'll gain trust in you, form a bond, and I'm sure settle in faster..

i am new to horse but have been going at it almost everyday. today i rode her with a new bit since the last one cause her alot of head throwing. no better. she tossed her head and decided to get going and buck me off. i stayed on and rode her more. of course in the round pen. i am sure her teeth have never been done. i will do her teeth and go from there. she hates to make right circles. she give me fits when i try to get her to make right small circles. the right side of her mouth is every sensitive from what i can see. left circles she is great. she is spoky but knows her cues. i hope its her teeth and floating solves it. i have used a curved bit and snaffle so far.

jvicars":iupqju2w said:
i am new to horse but have been going at it almost everyday. today i rode her with a new bit since the last one cause her alot of head throwing. no better. she tossed her head and decided to get going and buck me off. i stayed on and rode her more. of course in the round pen. i am sure her teeth have never been done. i will do her teeth and go from there. she hates to make right circles. she give me fits when i try to get her to make right small circles. the right side of her mouth is every sensitive from what i can see. left circles she is great. she is spoky but knows her cues. i hope its her teeth and floating solves it. i have used a curved bit and snaffle so far.

there are lots of different definitions of "spooky". is she high strung? scared of you? scared of environment? edgy? panicky? you have to figure out why she is spooky and eliminate or solve the problem

Latest posts