Tie Down or this.... i think called Training fork????

Help Support CattleToday:

Jazzin

Reaction score
My horse Jazzin likes to thrown her head around and I have used a tie down and it works pretty well but a person at my
4-H gave me a training fork and said that should work better than a tie down... Never used it before. Any ideas on the trainin fork?

Dump the tie down and the training fork. Somebody somewhere missed some basic training. Put a snaffle bit on the mare (D-ring offset DEE whatever) no shanked bits. Get you hands down and soften them up. If I had the mare we'd go back to the round pen for a while and do flexing and bending exercises and turning into the rail.Z

MillIronQH":2fhza99q said:
Dump the tie down and the training fork. Somebody somewhere missed some basic training. Put a snaffle bit on the mare (D-ring offset DEE whatever) no shanked bits. Get you hands down and soften them up. If I had the mare we'd go back to the round pen for a while and do flexing and bending exercises and turning into the rail.Z

Yep, the tiedown will stop the problem, but not fix it. And IMO the training fork won't help you out at all. Go with what MillIron said.

Both pieces of equipment have their place.And if used properly work quite well.How old is your horse and what do you use on her now.She may not be really broke.Just because a horse does't buck and get wild doesnt mean they are broke.Another thing could be her teeth if their is a problem then nothing will help untill you address that.Another thing is you may be pulling too much with a bit that pinches.A running martingale and a fork work simular.Every one in the horse training business uses one at one time or another.The thing most do not like about a fork is it can not be let out as far as a martingale and the pull on one is nearly straight down,works good on race horses though.With a martingale you can addjust it to where you can bend a horse farther with less restrection on them.A good ring snaffle and a martingale adjusted to just tuck the horse a little work pretty well.I don't use a tie down on one untill I just have to on roping or barrel horses.On riders I don't see they work well.And I never use one on a pasture horse.All this will be of no use if you don't check her theeth and if you pull too much on one.Another thing you can not train a fresh horse they need to be rode down and the edge rode off of them.Some take a lot and some not so much.Untill she drops her head and will lope a nice easy about a 30ft circle, on a loose rein and stop smooth and flat and easy stand still back a step or two,and stand still, and take a breath and lick their lips they are not ready.Just like I said every piece of equipment has a place if used properly.But mostly it is in your hands.

i agree with MillIron and randiliana, use the training fork(also called a running martingale, or a set of rings)
ss

smart_slider":380r1yuk said:
i agree with MillIron and randiliana, use the training fork(also called a running martingale, or a set of rings)
ss

Read me again young'un. I said DUMP the training fork. I don't use or advocate the use of artificial training gimmicks. More often then not they compound the problem.Z

I'll also throw in with MillIron, dump everything and go back to basics. Soften your hands (less mouth pressure, without losing contact). go to an easy on the mouth bit, as suggested a snaffle and lots of round pen work before you turn her loose on the barrels or calves of any type of "yee haw".

Good luck,
Alan

Thanks ya'll yeah my horse is very well broke and right now I just started 4-H with her... and planning on team roping with my dad. don't know how to do it yet but done with the desensitizing part of the rope.She is 11 yrs old and I won't let her get away with ANYTHING!

with the experience i have, it depends on the horse and the diciplin.... we have used mostly the rings; they make sure the horse can't lift his head up to avoid the pressure... just do wat u think,
ss

Jazzin":3ahdt0kf said:
She is 11 yrs old and I won't let her get away with ANYTHING!

Just remember (In my opinion), it is alot harder to fix a problem with a horse if your too hard on the horse and jerking her around. All I'm saying is start easy, back way off and gain her trust, then get harder with her slowly after she trust you. Check for other problems that may cause her to throw her head around, dental problem, bit problem, too much hand pressure, saddle fit, soar back, soar mouth, balance problem. lots to think about before you start playing around with different tack and not letting her get away with anything. Horse needs to enjoy it also.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it.
Alan

I was going to say it, but Alan beat me to it. Check the fit on your bridle, nose band, etc. We had a couple tossing their heads only to find out the bit was too small or the chin strap too tight. Changing to a hackamore and quiet hands stopped it....it could be a habit from someone who rode to much on the bit and too harsh, you can stop them with a little bit of patience.

Tukie

Latest posts