Ticks

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know about the cattle but you can use OFF on your jeans. Spray barns, pens ect with Malathon.

Its not recommended on the label but I spilled some pour on Ivomec on my leg one year working cattle and did not have one tick or flea bite all year. :)

Cross, the reason I said the ticks seem worse in the spring is based purely on observation that the teeny tiny babies are hatching now and it seems that by June or so they are gone (eaten maybe) and the rest of the summer I am normally left to deal with the occasional adult tick or tow.

Good luck on your venture.

TennesseeTuxedo":2a8lnx7x said:
Cross, the reason I said the ticks seem worse in the spring is based purely on observation that the teeny tiny babies are hatching now and it seems that by June or so they are gone (eaten maybe) and the rest of the summer I am normally left to deal with the occasional adult tick or tow.

Good luck on your venture.

There were lots of small ones
The locals say seed ticks will be coming on before long
They think I'm being a sissy and joke they are going to get me a big plastic bubble to get in :D

Brute 23":2ahqjxr1 said:
I don't know about the cattle but you can use OFF on your jeans. Spray barns, pens ect with Malathon.

Its not recommended on the label but I spilled some pour on Ivomec on my leg one year working cattle and did not have one tick or flea bite all year. :)

I may give the pour on a try :D

The owners now have 30-40 head of guineas for that reason and claim they keep everything around the house clear

cross_7":1314eadf said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1314eadf said:
I'm not a fan of ticks either but I find they are at their worst this time of year.

That's a terrific stream.

I figured they'd get worse as it warmed up

According to our vet, they are worst (here anyway) in spring and fall. They prefer somewhat cooler damp weather to the dog days of summer. Spouse and dog have both had Lyme in past 2 years, and nearest neighbor just diagnosed with it (as well as her toddler). Note that deer are not the only tick carriers (at least for many/most tick species); mice carry them too.

Nonetheless, I am sick of ticks and sick of deer. I've been watching a whole herd (deer, not ticks) eating up my pasture just as fast as it can grow. Buddy told me you can get a nuisance permit off-season--may have to look into it. No one around here can believe how they all survived our monstrous winter, but survive and thrive they did. We have several dozen just on our 170-ish acres. Tear our my dang fences too. Bambi--pah!

if possible throw a match on it, you can put ivomec on the cattle & any that get on them will die. when I bought this place it was the same way. now it is hard to find one. when we first moved here coyotes & deer were all covered & we actually lost some cattle to ticks

I don't think burning is an option
Maybe the open part without trees but the wooded part might get out of hand and set the woods on fire across the fence

Tick: Look here we have us some new blood! Flatlander!
Cross: Lord what have I gotten myself into!
Gods Country Folk: (aka Northeast Oklahoma Ranchers) I guess he is better than a city person!
Tick: We'll see how tough he is!
Gods Country Folks: Wait till the chiggers get him!

LimoX":3grl6vzh said:
Tick: Look here we have us some new blood! Flatlander!
Cross: Lord what have I gotten myself into!
Gods Country Folk: (aka Northeast Oklahoma Ranchers) I guess he is better than a city person!
Tick: We'll see how tough he is!
Gods Country Folks: Wait till the chiggers get him!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think LimoX hears voices in his head! :mrgreen:

Yep! definitely one or two voices in there. I guess it is all this cattle raising, ticks and chiggers in God's country! :lol:

I heard someone say you can spray them a couple times in the summer to help control them but I didn't get the opportunity to ask what to spray them with
Also there is a creek that runs through the property so I can't spray anyhing that would cause an issue there

One more question I was told the ticks are in the woods
I want to keep the wooded areas I have for hunting not to mention I have wooded areas outside my fence I have no control over

Is there anything I can do to control them in the wooded areas ?

cross_7":3pjjey2p said:
I heard someone say you can spray them a couple times in the summer to help control them but I didn't get the opportunity to ask what to spray them with
Also there is a creek that runs through the property so I can't spray anyhing that would cause an issue there

One more question I was told the ticks are in the woods
I want to keep the wooded areas I have for hunting not to mention I have wooded areas outside my fence I have no control over

Is there anything I can do to control them in the wooded areas ?
Import more fireants...... :hide: maybe some of our scorpions too? :)

Latest posts