Ticks

Help Support CattleToday:

Shanghai

Reaction score
I'm from the desert so this is a new experience for me
I got into ticks today somewhere. I had them on my pants and brushed them off, but I found one on my leg when I showered :shock:
Kind of weirded me out some

What's the proper protocol for tick prevention ?

Shanghai":3gugx45h said:
I got into ticks today somewhere. I had them on my pants and brushed them off, but I found one on my leg when I showered :shock:

Real cold weather, like 30 below...

Bug repellent sprayed right on your pants can help some. Long sleeves and just checking and showering well. Even with all that, you may still find them!

branguscowgirl":22xgsbdk said:
Bug repellent sprayed right on your pants can help some. Long sleeves and just checking and showering well. Even with all that, you may still find them!

I don't want to find them
I want to keep the dang thinks off me :D

Anything with deet. Spray it very liberally on your pants, especially were they meet your boots.

Shanghai":whgnnb1h said:

Get used to it. Just wait till your in bed one nite and you go to scratch something that itchs and its a tick that is swelled to the size of a pencil eraser and you have to dig his head out of your skin.

M5farm":2tji4jf6 said:
Shanghai":2tji4jf6 said:

Get used to it. Just wait till your in bed one nite and you go to scratch something that itchs and its a tick that is swelled to the size of a pencil eraser and you have to dig his head out of your skin.

I may just stay in the pickup till winter, it's more comfortable with the a/c running away

That's why we wear shorts and flip flops so we can feel them crawling. I get more ticks that seize when I'm wearing long pants. I don't feel them for some reason.

I would t pull them out with tweezers. Try to get them out, without applying a lot of pressure to their body. It seems to itch a lot less when you do. My record is about 150 on me at once. One of my girls came in last summer with about 170.

Bigfoot":2ktl6unf said:
I would t pull them out with tweezers. Try to get them out, without applying a lot of pressure to their body. It seems to itch a lot less when you do. My record is about 150 on me at once. One of my girls came in last summer with about 170.

That is insane BF. I freak over 1 or 2.

Bigfoot":3731pac5 said:

:shock: I wouldn't go back outside

Oh trust me, I freaked out. I also itch in the site of the bite, for the rest of the summer

If you have any brush there you'll want deet on your neck around your collar and your cuffs as well. I don't know about your area at all but here lyme disease for us and foothill abort on the cattle are the major concerns beyond the creepy crawly factor.

I used to get the tiny ones on me by the thousands on any given day back in the late 60s. Seed ticks, which is just another name for baby ticks or the larvae stage of an ordinary woods tick. We brushed our jeans legs and boots down with powdered sulphur to try to keep them off--dunno if it decreased the numbers or not--I still had hundreds on me at the end of every day, working right here on the same place I now live. They look like this:
XLWZGLWZXLNZ6HLR8LVZ8LYHPH1HIHYHIH8ZIH4ZSLTHGHEZZL6ZRLGZGHEZGHGZ7HVHRLGZRLAH.jpg

When the fire ants moved in back in the 70s, the seed ticks seemed to have disappeared.

Only safe way to never get ticks is don't have pets that go outside and you never go outside... That being said I wet myself pants shirt with sportsmans off 40% deet does a great job for me.

Flea Collars on your boots. That's what everyone at Fort Hood does during military training. Spray deet on your cap/hat and let it dry.

Chiggers were really bad here this year.

Embeeded ticks will leave their heads behind every time. Cover them in vaseline or oil. When they back out to breath, pull them. Otherwise you'll never get the head out without cutting.

I agree with the poster who claimed that wearing pants makes it difficult to feel them crawling up your legs. We pulled a lot of them off this year. Its not clear why they are bad, someone suggested that the 17 year cicada batch hatched last year killing off much of the oak and hickory twigs and their nuts, and the lack of mast led to a decline in deer and squirrel hosts.

The danger is Lymes, and thats carried by the deer tick which looks like the baby wood tick. Its bad here in VA, and even worse in places like New England and Michigan and Wisconsin. My dad has it and he has some continuing issues related to his nervous system. The general guideline is to try to get them off within 24 hours of embedding in order to not get diseases they carry. Smothering them with vaseline is not recommended because when they go to pull out they will spit their saliva into you, infecting you with whatever bacteria they carry. Its best to try to grab the head with tweezers and pull and then apply some alchohol.

Latest posts