Ticks

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
Is there any way to control ticks ?
The new place I'm looking at is covered up with ticks
I went out and walked the pasture that is grown up with knee high grass and literally had over a 100 ticks on my pants and I had sprayed them with permithein
Does mowing help
How do cattle handle ticks like that

I think I'd take fire ants over ticks
The locals think I'm being a sissy city boy but I can't handle ticks

cross_7":3ga6hzb3 said:
Is there any way to control ticks ?
The new place I'm looking at is covered up with ticks
I went out and walked the pasture that is grown up with knee high grass and literally had over a 100 ticks on my pants and I had sprayed them with permithein
Does mowing help
How do cattle handle ticks like that

They are much worse here, somedays than others. Maybe your walk thru the grass was on a bad day. I just about won't fence in the woods anytime besides winter. Ticks will pack you off.

When I was about 16-17....on ANY given day, I could walk across any of this area, look down and see them by the hundreds and hundreds moving up my pants legs. I hated dressing out for gym class in school because of all the bites on my ankles, calves and behind my knees.

Didn't you ask us about ticks this time last year? :roll:

Mowing will help, because they hang on the end of the tall grass with their little hands waving until you come along to grab onto. :lol:
As you know, Ticks can carry several diseases that cattle can contract. Anaplasmosis is the biggie here, not sure about there. Some pour ons and rubs will help keep them off of the cattle. As for you, I don't know. You must be awfully sweet! ;-)

branguscowgirl":1sbltt94 said:

Some pour ons and rubs will help keep them off of the cattle. As for you, I don't know. You must be awfully sweet! ;-)

Didn't you 2 go this route this time last year?

greybeard":1vsdg3dn said:
branguscowgirl":1vsdg3dn said:

Some pour ons and rubs will help keep them off of the cattle. As for you, I don't know. You must be awfully sweet! ;-)

Didn't you 2 go this route this time last year?
:lol: Nope.
If it makes ya feel any better, I'd say you were sweet too GB! :mrgreen:

I don't like it but the only solution is to kill every deer you see, when I was a kid I might get 2 ticks a year and spent all summer in the woods. Unbelievable now, I too will not fence in the woods except winter. My boys and I get hundreds of them every year. I'm about Fed up with it. Deer are the main part of their life cycle. It's all you can eat buffet and every doe has twins, plus trophy hunting = overpopulation. It's a proven fact that if you reduce the deer population you reduce ticks. We have so many deer they had to replant last year. The adult ticks aren't bad, it's those juveniles by the thousands. You can get a farmer permit or some such. Good luck and permethrin doesn't touch them around here, doesn't seem to work on flies anymore either?

Yes and last year I was in the dry part of the state
Now I'm in tick country and I have a tick phobia
I'd like to have the place but I can't handle the ticks
I see people out in pastures all the time, they must not have them as bad or are being eaten alive
Surely there is a way to deal with them

If it is for sale it may not have been grazed for a while and being the right time of year you have come along and they have all rushed to you. Probably would not be as bad if it is regularly grazed. They would still be there but just not stampeding to you when you go walking.
Ken

TennesseeTuxedo":hcki89l8 said:
I'm not a fan of ticks either but I find they are at their worst this time of year.

That's a terrific stream.

I figured they'd get worse as it warmed up

Kell-inKY":fi4yzj5a said:
I don't like it but the only solution is to kill every deer you see, when I was a kid I might get 2 ticks a year and spent all summer in the woods. Unbelievable now, I too will not fence in the woods except winter. My boys and I get hundreds of them every year. I'm about Fed up with it. Deer are the main part of their life cycle. It's all you can eat buffet and every doe has twins, plus trophy hunting = overpopulation. It's a proven fact that if you reduce the deer population you reduce ticks. We have so many deer they had to replant last year. The adult ticks aren't bad, it's those juveniles by the thousands. You can get a farmer permit or some such. Good luck and permethrin doesn't touch them around here, doesn't seem to work on flies anymore either?

The problem nowadays is that farmers complain all the time about crop depredation but wont allow anyone to hunt deer on their property (I know that some have gotten burned by people leaving gates open, cutting fences etc.....I get that) and the ones that do allow hunting charge an arm and a leg for a hunting lease and nobody wants to pay a lot of money to hunt just to shoot does. The good ol' days are gone when a man could get permission to hunt in exchange for a handshake and some help with a few chores around the place.

The deer population is more than I've ever seen
The quality of the bucks isn't like west Texas but at night you literally see 30 or 40 head of does out in the pasture

I figure I'll give it a try and hope with mowing, grazing and summer comes on I can manage it
If not I ain't skeered to move :D

Thanks for the help and info

When I'm going to be walking where I know or suspect there will be redbugs (chiggers) I spray my boots and the bottom of my pants legs with Off or something similar. It's worth trying for ticks.

Latest posts