ticks on the ear

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I noticed about 4 calves today with 10 or 15 ticks on each ear. These ticks are about the size of a thumbnail. There ear looks swollen and drooped like there is an infection. Going to put them in the shoot tommorrow and treat them. My question is would I be better pulling the ticks off or spraying with something that will kill the ticks.
I am planning on treating with iodine spray and la 200 for infection.

denoginnizer":2l78mtxg said:
I noticed about 4 calves today with 10 or 15 ticks on each ear. These ticks are about the size of a thumbnail. There ear looks swollen and drooped like there is an infection. Going to put them in the shoot tommorrow and treat them. My question is would I be better pulling the ticks off or spraying with something that will kill the ticks.

I could very well be wrong here, but I'm thinking 10 to 15 ticks/ear would be more than enough to account for the swelling and droopiness. I think I would pull the ticks - carefully, so as to ensure getting the head out (I've found needle-nose pliars work very well) - spray with the iodine and just watch the calves. I've dealt with multiple ticks on my dogs many, many times while living in Georgia and have never used iodine or antibiotics - but have not had the 'pleasure' of dealing with them on cattle.

I think I would put something in there that would actually kill the ticks - dip, or mix that is an actual insecticide.

(follow directions on product label) then clean them out if any remain in the ears in a week or so. yuck

We used to keep tick "dope" in an oil can.

msscamp":2z8odsqb said:
denoginnizer":2z8odsqb said:

I could very well be wrong here, but I'm thinking 10 to 15 ticks/ear would be more than enough to account for the swelling and droopiness. I think I would pull the ticks - carefully, so as to ensure getting the head out (I've found needle-nose pliars work very well) - spray with the iodine and just watch the calves. I've dealt with multiple ticks on my dogs many, many times while living in Georgia and have never used iodine or antibiotics - but have not had the 'pleasure' of dealing with them on cattle.

I think I live in the tick capital of the world. MSSCAMP is right on. Sounds like you got some dog ticks. Get the needle nose pliers up by the head and a sharp tug will pull them out. Dont squish the sac or they can regurgitate back into whatever they are in and cause other problems.

That many ticks in a ear would definitely make it look swollen and droopy.

You can get something to kill them in place, but if you dont pull them out as soon as they die the will get infected. Its also a lot easier to break the head off a dead tick then a live one.

denoginnizer":191i687i said:

We use a pour on insecticide sometimes, Durasect II. I think it helps, if anything does.

We have alot of ticks here in Ohio, but haven't found none on the calves yet, (thank goodness) but the kids have came in with quite a few. When I was at a check-up for them, I asked the doctor what was the best way to pull a tick out and he said to make it do a backflip when pulling that way the head comes out also. I am going to assume that it would work the same way for animals too. Also, something we use around here and on the animals is permectrin pour-on, it works pretty good on the dogs, cats, and cows!! It's about 17.00 or so for a gallon. Just my thoughts!!

;-)

I guess the wipes are doing some good. All fo the animals will have them here and there, usually around the buncg hole or low on the neck. And we have lots of ticks. Just walking through the pastures I'll pick up a half dozen of them.

dun

We use ivomec injectable on the calves at branding time (May) and that will kill all the ticks on them and keep ticks, flies, mosquitoes and other bugs off them for a month or so. Plus it gets rid of any worms.

A few drops of a permethrin pour-on in the ears should kill the ticks.

No need for antibiotics at this time. Use antibiotics only in the event of an actual bacterial infection.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock