Thoughts on these two (soon to be) Shorthorn Steers.

Help Support CattleToday:

RoppFamilyFarm

Reaction score
This fall will start my sons first year in 4H, he is super excited and can't hardly wait!
We only had 2 Bull Calves born this spring and we need to choose one to keep for his project and one to sell to help pay for all the expenses. I am looking for everyone's honest opinion and input. They are both February Calves born 5 days apart. They both have a wonderful temperament and are already halter broke. We weaned them early due to lack of forage and needing to bring up mamas condition before breeding again. They were both weaned off mamas at 90 days and put on PreCon and milk replacer. They are fed free choice hay and creep feed while on pasture.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions!

"Johnny Cash" Sire: Hot Commodity DOB: Feb 9 BW: 72lbs Weight 420 lbs. ADG: 2.67
IMG_7723-e1469593282522.jpg

IMG_7728-e1469593246340.jpg

"Captains Valentine" Sire: Captain Obvious BW: 100 lbs. Weight: 492 lbs. ADG: 3.01
IMG_7724-e1469593268742.jpg

IMG_7736-e1469593214150.jpg

IMG_7726-e1469593258321.jpg

Kingfisher":13b8q3sn said:
Captain Valentine. What's that metal piece in the picture?
The metal structure is an old gas station awning. I was planing to put it on skids and use it as a portable Cover to move between pastures with the tractor.

Those two are very close in type and kind. I like the first one better, mostly because I can spot two faults on the second right away. IMHO, the second one roaches over the loin and is bold in his shoulders (to pointy in front, and makes his fore rib look pinched behind). Do they both fill their tracks on each stride? Do they both have proper flex in their joints and flexible but not weak pasterns? Start with structure, once they hit 1300 pounds, failure to recognize these issues with be a glaring reality that you can't change. I do like both for the fact that they appear square, growthy and clean fronted. Both look like they will carry 1300 pounds in a nice package. I just like the fist one a touch better.....

Boot Jack Bulls":1y3rr5f0 said:
Those two are very close in type and kind. I like the first one better, mostly because I can spot two faults on the second right away. IMHO, the second one roaches over the loin and is bold in his shoulders (to pointy in front, and makes his fore rib look pinched behind). Do they both fill their tracks on each stride? Do they both have proper flex in their joints and flexible but not weak pasterns? Start with structure, once they hit 1300 pounds, failure to recognize these issues with be a glaring reality that you can't change. I do like both for the fact that they appear square, growthy and clean fronted. Both look like they will carry 1300 pounds in a nice package. I just like the fist one a touch better.....

Thanks Boot Jack Bulls - They both have great stride and form. The only thing that I don't like about #1 Johnny Cash is that he is completely tame and nice as can be, but once you put a halter on him and try to walk him, he locks up worse then a donkey and you cannot drag him around if you tried! He will stand there and not move a muscle, you start walking and he hunches down and locks up! #2 Captains Valentine on the other hand walks perfectly on the halter. Thanks for the input!

Latest posts