Thistles and weevils

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention cerning the weevil larvae eating the thistle flowers. They're only active for a specific period of time, the late blooming thistles aren;t affected. Like f'rinstance the ones that are blooming now

dun

we must have different kinds. what do you have. i have the tall christmas trees with white flowers and smaller, purple flowered ones that are no plant and all seed.

I only have one word for thistles and it is Grazon. I know the weevils work but it takes to long to get them established.

Angus Guy":1a83xg0k said:
I only have one word for thistles and it is Grazon. I know the weevils work but it takes to long to get them established.

This area is fortunate that they were imported 20-30 years ago so we have a good population. But as I've said before, they're only one part of a control program. If everyone would totally erradicate thistles the poplulation is gone and then you're back to square one. Around dairys in this area that will never be a problem. We have a couple of waste areas that we've oput aside for wildlife and don;t even bother with the thistles in them.

dun

We have the ones with the purple flowers on top, Grazon P+D didn't do that great this year for us so we've been spot spraying with crossbow. It is amazing to see after a couple of years that you spend killing thistle how much the population decreases.

Herefordcross":2xrin0nf said:
We have the ones with the purple flowers on top, Grazon P+D didn't do that great this year for us so we've been spot spraying with crossbow. It is amazing to see after a couple of years that you spend killing thistle how much the population decreases.

Had one field this spring that has lots of rosettes and some starting to send up seed spikes. Grazed the grass short enough the the rosettes were exposed and boom sprayed the field with 2,4-d. Brush hogged the fescue seed heads yesterday and theo nly weeds present were bull nettle. No thistle and none of the other junk that usually takes that field over during the summer. Surprisingly, no spiny pig weed, although I don;t recall it ever being a problem in that pasture in the past anyway.

dun