This one's for Nesikep

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't quite see why it's for me.. but it was a well thought out piece :)

There are things that confuse me though.. Kneel to pray to be respectful, stand for the anthem to be respectful, and then lets get into hats.. on or off?
https://youtu.be/NNkkko4vlBs (Trigger warning, people who need a safe space may not like this piece from George Carlin)

When it all comes down to it, respect and patriotism go beyond all this symbolic crap, it's what you DO that matters.. you know, the choices you make on a day to day basis that affect how your country will be viewed, etc.

I like how he talks about not doing something b/c it's unchristian yet drops the F-bomb.

And this video is a just a rehash of the redneck that sits in the truck and talks.

What I'm wondering is how many good, white, Christians are there that rail against those taking money out of the system but they themselves are some sort of government assistance? How many cheat on their wives? How many good "patriots" that stand for the anthem and all that rah, rah, go America stuff cheat on their taxes? Which is essentially handicapping the country, and their state and community, that they profess to love. Or shop in a state that doesn't have sales tax to save a buck? How much money does that Prather guy give to the Wounded Warrior fund? The Pat Tillman Foundation or the Chris Kyle Foundation? Or if he doesn't donate, does he volunteer somewhere to help those that are in need of some sort of assistance? Have these good "Patriots" that stand at the anthem done anything more for their country than to just pay their taxes or do they do community service and make a difference?

What I'm getting at is that just because someone stands for the anthem, or goes to church every week does not make them a good person. In the same light a person that kneels, peacefully, at the anthem to support a cause which they think needs their support is not a bad person.

Bestoutwest":1l8w7ylc said:
I like how he talks about not doing something b/c it's unchristian yet drops the F-bomb.

And this video is a just a rehash of the redneck that sits in the truck and talks.

What I'm wondering is how many good, white, Christians are there that rail against those taking money out of the system but they themselves are some sort of government assistance? How many cheat on their wives? How many good "patriots" that stand for the anthem and all that rah, rah, go America stuff cheat on their taxes? Which is essentially handicapping the country, and their state and community, that they profess to love. Or shop in a state that doesn't have sales tax to save a buck? How much money does that Prather guy give to the Wounded Warrior fund? The Pat Tillman Foundation or the Chris Kyle Foundation? Or if he doesn't donate, does he volunteer somewhere to help those that are in need of some sort of assistance? Have these good "Patriots" that stand at the anthem done anything more for their country than to just pay their taxes or do they do community service and make a difference?

What I'm getting at is that just because someone stands for the anthem, or goes to church every week does not make them a good person. In the same light a person that kneels, peacefully, at the anthem to support a cause which they think needs their support is not a bad person.

You could have saved a lot of time and thought! You are saying:

We are all HYPOCRITES. yep, we are.

Dogs and Cows":2wbb96fw said:
Is your use of the term redneck meant as a slur?? Just curious...

Also, standing for the Anthem for me is honoring every service man and woman that has served this country...Including my son, my future son in law, my father, my grandfathers, my father in law...as well as all the great men and women that serve that I do not know, but sure appreciate everything they have done for this country. Heck, I am in NC and a big hockey fan...and I used to get choked up on the hockey night in Canada intermission show when they showed the names and pictures of the Canadian youngsters who had lost their lives in service to their country. So I do take it personally that these folks are showing disrespect to the people that fought/fight to allow them to do so...I am a believer that they have the right of free speech to demonstrate in this manner...especially if the NFL allows it...but I and everyone else sure has the right to speak our minds about how we think.

Lastly, you talk a lot about taxes...I am in love with the United States of America not with the federal government...the federal government has engaged in mission creep since FDR. I take care of my and my own as my family comes first. It is then up to us to decide where excess monies go to help the less fortunate...church, Shriners hospital for children, St. Jude...local animal shelter...where ever someone want to contribute (these are just examples). The federal government has proven way too many times that they waist my tax contributions on things they have no business being involved in.

These are just my thoughts, so please don't think of me as some heartless person...I am just a fella who is self made (never got a gov handout), pays his "share" of taxes only to be abused by those who think they know better what to do with my money, and who donates time and resources to my community. Funny thing...the taxes folks pay...how many liberals volunteer to pay more taxes to help the unfortunate??? They always want someone else to pay more...never them..wonder why?

Long ramble...sorry.

Tim

Not really a slur per se, just a commentary on the commentary guy.

I understand what you're saying about paying taxes, no one likes to do it. And like you, I hate seeing how much money is taken out of my checks and then see people spending on items that I deem wasteful. What I was referring to, rather, where the folks that skimp out on paying it in some way. Hiding their money here and there, and being deceitful about themselves, ie. not being a good member of society. Personally, I donate money to several charities and I donate as many items as I can to my local schools and libraries.

And I will agree that those who feel like the rest of us "regular" folks need to pay more in taxes, can do their fare share and pay extra if they'd like.

There are many things that can make someone a patriot in my opinion, it does not simply stop at serving in the military. In fact, I believe that "Thank you for your service" has become one of the biggest platitudes in society. And I don't mean that to disrespect anyone who has ever served. It has just been said so many times by so many people in a capacity of "I need to say this because it's politically correct" that it has lost it's meaning. It's akin to every time a politician gets caught with their pants down they apologize because that's what we all want to hear. I believe that any person that opens a manufacturing facility in America would be eligible to be labeled a patriot. Anyone that serves their fellow citizens in any capacity to achieve a better world for us can be construed as a patriot. This includes police, fire/EMS, teachers, priests/ministers/chaplains (minus the megachurch guys and gals), hospital volunteers, those working for the Red Cross, those working in government because they care (and yes, I know a few believe it or not).

Finally, I don't believe you're a heartless person. A heartless person doesn't passionately, and politely debate something like this, especially online. This has hit a passionate fiber in America's heart, and we do need to debate what makes a patriot a patriot, because labeling everyone that stands for the anthem as one and everyone who doesn't isn't, isn't necessarily the truth.

Bestoutwest":57l24zqt said:

I bow my head to pray, I stand at attention to anthem. I pay my taxes. I don't cheat on my wife. I never even cheated on a girlfriend. I don't lie. I apologize when I'm wrong( which is a lot) I am very polite unless you're rude to me then I can be very impolite. I open doors for women. And I say sir and ma'am.
Because that's how I was raised.
It's customary in this country to stand at attention for the anthem. To not do so is bad manners and shows sorry upbringing.
Most of these people you are supporting don't know what their even protesting. And that they don't have the right to do it at work should their employers. The NFL forbid it.

After some thought since this kneeling thing started and my participation in the Kneeling thread that got locked.

Personally, it does not affect me one way or the other if someone does not stand during the National Athenm. I do but tomorrow, I may decide not to. If I become disillusioned with our nation which is not out of the question, I may not stand.

To me this issue truly defines freedom and liberty. If someone does not stand for the National Athenm, I am going to assume they have a justifiable reason. For all I know, maybe they have a bad case of hemorrhoids and the pain is unbearable.

callmefence":2835xp17 said:
I bow my head to pray, I stand at attention to anthem. I pay my taxes. I don't cheat on my wife. I never even cheated on a girlfriend. I don't lie. I apologize when I'm wrong( which is a lot) I am very polite unless you're rude to me then I can be very impolite. I open doors for women. And I say sir and ma'am.
It's customary in this country to stand at attention for the anthem. To not do so is bad manners and shows sorry upbringing.
Most of these people you are supporting don't know what their even protesting. And that they don't have the right to do it at work should their employers. The NFL forbid it.

You missed my point completely. Because someone doesn't stand for a song that we, as a society, have deemed to be sanctified, they are automatically a bad person. We know nothing more about this person than this simple fact that they do not stand for this song. But, since this song is essential to the fabric of America, they must be inherently evil. And because a person goes to church every week and stands for the anthem, they are obviously a good person because they follow a specific guideline that states, "in a blink of an eye" assumption of this person's character, they are a good person. Now, we know nothing of this second person's behavior behind closed doors either. They could beat their children and wife. They could cheat on her. They could steal from their fellow employees, etc, etc, etc. It is human nature to make broad, quick assumptions of a person's character, and evolutionarily this may serve us well, but is it fair?

Secondly, why do you feel the need to defend yourself? I hope you don't feel that I insinuated that all people who fit the church going, self employed group are a bunch of crooks. I don't believe that for a second. Nor would I judge you a bad person by minimal interactions on an internet forum. They, like all segments of society have their bad along with their good. I used that as an example because that type of person is one that we can all relate to as we all know a person that fits that description.

Finally, I would like to clarify that I do not support, nor do I condemn the individuals who kneel during the anthem. Rather I support their first amendment right to do so. There is a clear distinction. And while they are at work, it is obvious that their employers allow them to, and support their decision to, voice their opinion. Likewise, I support the right of white supremacists to peacefully march through the streets of any town in America spouting off about other races-as long as it ends at verbal diarrhea and doesn't progress to violence. While I do not support their message in any way, shape, or form, they have the same rights to free speech that you and I do. Whether anyone listens is an entirely different debate.

Take care

Nesikep":2e35rkzn said:

There are things that confuse me though.. Kneel to pray to be respectful, stand for the anthem to be respectful, and then lets get into hats.. on or off?
https://youtu.be/NNkkko4vlBs (Trigger warning, people who need a safe space may not like this piece from George Carlin)

When it all comes down to it, respect and patriotism go beyond all this symbolic crap, it's what you DO that matters.. you know, the choices you make on a day to day basis that affect how your country will be viewed, etc.

George Carlin. There will never be another like him and it is my understanding he wrote his own comedy.

Bright Raven":3sbpua7o said:
Nesikep":3sbpua7o said:

George Carlin. There will never be another like him and it is my understanding he wrote his own comedy.
He had the balls to say a lot of things before it was popular to say them..
Louis CK has an excellent interview where he describes how Carlin influenced him.. He said for his first 10 years of doing standup, he was stuck, he had some jokes that were good, etc, but just nothing ever seemed to really take off. He started observing Carlin, and found that every year or two on his HBO shows, every bit of content was new (and all written by Carlin).. At the end of a tour, all the old stuff would go in the trash, and he's start off with a clean slate. Louis CK said it took an incredible courage to throw his old material away and have to start fresh, but in the end it worked.. he's got a number of his own HBO shows too... I just find he doesn't have the political insight Carlin did, or at least not at this point in his career.. Carlin didn't care who he offended.. the left, the right, he'd stab at any of them.

Here he's poking at the liberals.. I don't think there are too many F bombs in this one
[youtube]https://youtu.be/vuEQixrBKCc[/youtube]

Bestoutwest":ki5a7l80 said:
callmefence":ki5a7l80 said:

You missed my point completely. Because someone doesn't stand for a song that we, as a society, have deemed to be sanctified, they are automatically a bad person. We know nothing more about this person than this simple fact that they do not stand for this song. But, since this song is essential to the fabric of America, they must be inherently evil. And because a person goes to church every week and stands for the anthem, they are obviously a good person because they follow a specific guideline that states, "in a blink of an eye" assumption of this person's character, they are a good person. Now, we know nothing of this second person's behavior behind closed doors either. They could beat their children and wife. They could cheat on her. They could steal from their fellow employees, etc, etc, etc. It is human nature to make broad, quick assumptions of a person's character, and evolutionarily this may serve us well, but is it fair?

Secondly, why do you feel the need to defend yourself? I hope you don't feel that I insinuated that all people who fit the church going, self employed group are a bunch of crooks. I don't believe that for a second. Nor would I judge you a bad person by minimal interactions on an internet forum. They, like all segments of society have their bad along with their good. I used that as an example because that type of person is one that we can all relate to as we all know a person that fits that description.

Finally, I would like to clarify that I do not support, nor do I condemn the individuals who kneel during the anthem. Rather I support their first amendment right to do so. There is a clear distinction. And while they are at work, it is obvious that their employers allow them to, and support their decision to, voice their opinion. Likewise, I support the right of white supremacists to peacefully march through the streets of any town in America spouting off about other races-as long as it ends at verbal diarrhea and doesn't progress to violence. While I do not support their message in any way, shape, or form, they have the same rights to free speech that you and I do. Whether anyone listens is an entirely different debate.

Take care

You missed my point
It'd not about rights its about manners.
When you go in someones house you wipe your feet and remove your hat.Because it's customary and good manners. And in most cases you don't talk politics in mixed company. because it's bad manners.These players should do their protesting on their own stage and their own dime.
No it doesn't mean that they are bad people. It means they where raised by bad people. Because a good American father would wear his sons azz out for kneeling down during the national anthem.
As for the NFL. They will see the light or they will suffer greatly.

Bestoutwest":fty61fdj said:

Not intending to take this further into a religious discussion, but feel it necessary to say that you are correct in your assessment that just because someone goes to church every week or even every time the door is open, doesn't make them a good person. Likewise the fact that someone doesn't go to church does not mean that they are not a good person. It is what is in each individuals heart that matters. We will all be held accountable for what is in our hearts and the decisions that we do or don't make. If a person's heart is truly invested in their faith, then they should ideally strive to live that example, by showing kindness, love, honesty and understanding.

Ky hills":3fjy7ayp said:
Bestoutwest":3fjy7ayp said:

Not intending to take this further into a religious discussion, but feel it necessary to say that you are correct in your assessment that just because someone goes to church every week or even every time the door is open, doesn't make them a good person. Likewise the fact that someone doesn't go to church does not mean that they are not a good person. It is what is in each individuals heart that matters. We will all be held accountable for what is in our hearts and the decisions that we do or don't make. If a person's heart is truly invested in their faith, then they should ideally strive to live that example, by showing kindness, love, honesty and understanding.

I find that last one the hardest, there's things I see and read daily that I can't comprehend.

True Grit Farms":r9m57vzx said:
Ky hills":r9m57vzx said:
Bestoutwest":r9m57vzx said:

I find that last one the hardest, there's things I see and read daily that I can't comprehend.

I find some things hard to comprehend too, we each have our limits no doubt. I guess when I say understanding I am not meaning justification, I'm meaning having compassion and knowing that each of us, myself included are human beings and as such we are flawed creatures on our own.

Latest posts