This Bull Was Sold

Help Support CattleToday:

OK Jeanne

Reaction score
This bull was sold on Saturday, on the Murray Grey internet auction, located at:

http://www.murraygrey.net/cgi-bin/auction.pl

max3.jpg

max2.jpg

max1.jpg

The "instant purchase" price was $2950.00

OK Jeanne":1trm3x70 said:
This bull was sold on Saturday, on the Murray Grey internet auction, located at:

http://www.murraygrey.net/cgi-bin/auction.pl

max3.jpg

max2.jpg

max1.jpg

The "instant purchase" price was $2950.00
OK Jeanne-

TERRIFIC! This is the example of Phenoptype which will make a Beef Producer realize a PROFIT at the end of a breeding season! Color or not, eventually the beef consumers in America are going to realize that it takes more than a slab-sided, funnel-butted, ewe-necked, pencil-gutted cow to produce the kind of quality beef that they want to see in the Retail Market shelves. This kind of bull is how the industry can be improved! The sooner that the BEEF producers in the USA can get this fact pounded into their skulls and wake up to the need to obtain QUALITY genetics for their seedstock, the sooner they will stop whining about black being the only color that people will eat! The feedlot owners are more of a problem in that regard than the uneducated and UNinformed feeder calf producers.

We can ALL recover from the SHOCK of the recent stock market "Wake-UP" call if we will take the opportunity to re-examine our priorities in breeding our cattle, and learn the lesson that is right in front of our eyes: "Your CAN'T make a silk purse out of a sows ear", and the Beef Cattle Producers of the country had better wake up and smell the Kool Aid - and take this opportunity to re-vamp their lousy Beef genetics. It is easier to cull a herd through the Bulls that you use, than to completely cull your cows, but use your heads and cull a few of the bad producers, get maybe ONE top donor, along with your improved Bull selection choice - and make a difference in a few years, rather than to just go along with the same old same old - and improve your life.

It does no good to continue to sing the same old Blue's - And moan and groan about things that you CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2mmby4uz said:
We can ALL recover from the SHOCK of the recent stock market "Wake-UP" call if we will take the opportunity to re-examine our priorities in breeding our cattle, and learn the lesson that is right in front of our eyes: "Your CAN'T make a silk purse out of a sows ear", and the Beef Cattle Producers of the country had better wake up and smell the Kool Aid - and take this opportunity to re-vamp their lousy Beef genetics. It is easier to cull a herd through the Bulls that you use, than to completely cull your cows, but use your heads and cull a few of the bad producers, get maybe ONE top donor, along with your improved Bull selection choice - and make a difference in a few years, rather than to just go along with the same old same old - and improve your life.

It does no good to continue to sing the same old Blue's - And moan and groan about things that you CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT!

DOC HARRIS

Very well said. I think the reference to the stock market is important. This is a wake up call for all of us - life is going to be different. Past ways of doing things will have to change in many cases. And hopefully we will come out of this stronger for the future.

Hard to think of a bull being that important but maybe what that sort of bull represents, as Doc points out, is important for all of us to consider. Thank you Doc and Jeanne.

PS the only word I can think of for that bull is "Wow". Probably a bit out of my price range though. And I don't do AI. I would like to know what sort of program he has been on as far as grass/corn/silage and for how long. Sometimes bulls can be blown up for a sale in an environment far from what most commercial animals will see. (more time/lbs on grass and less time/lbs in the feedlot) Let us not forget the importance of disposition also. But still, Wow! jmho

Above bull is OK Maximum Power, a 3 year old purebred. He has all the tenderness genes presently tested for by Bovigen, and possibly one factor
on the marbling. He was our "back-up" bull this past season. These photos were taken just as we were putting him into the breeding
pasture to replace OK Seth---who had developed a big knot in his jaw from needle grass awl working into his jaw. Max had been on
a 15 acre trap with native grass & two other younger bulls. Max is a frame 5 and Seth is a 4----both were listed in the internet
auction. We don't grain feed nor have a "bull development" type program; but just try to make sure they have (along with the beef
steers)the best forage spots that we have available. Seth(now 2 1/2 yrs old) is still on the sale:
http://www.murraygrey.net/cgi-bin/aucti ... 1225574100

My sweetie priced Seth a bit higher than Max because we have a group of heifers to breed next spring---his calves so far have
weighed between 60 and 70 lbs; both heifers and bulls....but have really packed on the pounds since their birthdays. So I'm thinking
he really doesn't want him to sell:

DCP_4020.jpg

OK_Seth_1.jpg

Seth3.jpg

Latest posts