This bull is starting to get on my nerves

Help Support CattleToday:

I too don't understand why you all are raising cattle that you need to carry weapons when your around them. The first reply I will get I am sure is "when one of yours stomps you into a pile of #%^&." Well if it does it does. I started raising Angus in 1958 and it has not happened yet. I have cattle prods located here and there around the farm. I might carry one when I am checking out a new calf or when I go into the pasture with a bull and cow in heat. I said might !!!! usually not. Not only do I not fear my cattle but my wife and daughter does not have to fear them either. We feed treats daily to all females and bulls. We try to be cautious when needed by we have no need to fear our cattle. This might be because we have a small herd and are around them daily. I fully understand that with a much larger herd and less contact the situation is completely different. :tiphat:

HomePlaceAngus":jd8ekmqz said:
I fully understand that with a much larger herd and less contact the situation is completely different. :tiphat:

I don't believe that is true either,i run 200 cows and there is always at least 8 bulls in the bull pen when it's not breeding season,and i fear none of them or even give any of them a second thought.I might be a little cautious of a couple of cows after they have calved,but not to the point of having to carry a weapon.There are way to many good cows going for slaughter,to be keeping some of this crap at home on the farm.

George":3vej59id said:
HomePlaceAngus":3vej59id said:
I fully understand that with a much larger herd and less contact the situation is completely different. :tiphat:

I don't believe that is true either,i run 200 cows and there is always at least 8 bulls in the bull pen when it's not breeding season,and i fear none of them or even give any of them a second thought.I might be a little cautious of a couple of cows after they have calved,but not to the point of having to carry a weapon.There are way to many good cows going for slaughter,to be keeping some of this crap at home on the farm.
GOOD TO HEAR THAT GEORGE !!!!! MY HATS OFF TO YOU :tiphat:

HomePlaceAngus":21cya4s6 said:
George":21cya4s6 said:
HomePlaceAngus":21cya4s6 said:

GOOD TO HEAR THAT GEORGE !!!!! MY HATS OFF TO YOU :tiphat:

I agree with you guys. If i have to carry a gun to check my cattle I'll find another "Hobby."

fitz

There must be something in cow manure that make people lose their ability to read AND comprehend. If you braniacs will go back and check, i usually carry the sidearm anyway for snakes.
The bull is a borrowd bull that I didnt raise. And just for the record all of my cows are calm so its not like i go around mistreating and yelling at em all the time.
Now if the douchebags are done so am i. This place has gotten far to judgemental for my liking.

hooknline":1nn73p6t said:
There must be something in cow manure that make people lose their ability to read AND comprehend. If you braniacs will go back and check, i usually carry the sidearm anyway for snakes.
The bull is a borrowd bull that I didnt raise. And just for the record all of my cows are calm so its not like i go around mistreating and yelling at em all the time.
Now if the douchebags are done so am i. This place has gotten far to judgemental for my liking.

Hook ole buddy you just gotta quit holding back like that. :tiphat:

My comments were not directed so much at you hooknline, more to the others that replied that they have to carry a gun in there pocket, 3 ft. piece of pipe, etc. Never been against shooting a snake once and a while.

douchebags?Hey i wasn't the one that started this post,or was complaining about being scared of a bull!! By the way who borrows a bull?That would be the day i would borrow someone,one of my bulls!! I would be more in fear of that bull bringing something home with him,then i ever would be a bull myself!! Have a nice day.

We're starting to sound like a bunch of guys still at the bar around closing time! Good reading - like an action novel! got a little something for everyone...But time to go home and go to bed.

Jim

The comment about borrowing a bull. I have borrowed one from a friend 2 or 3 times. He has a different breeding season from me so it works out good for both of us. He has a larger herd than I do also. He tells me which bull he thinks is good and I usually go with it. I have a some nice calves in the pasture from his bull I borrowed last year. As far as catching something from it he raised it and knows its conditions. I feel better with it than one I might buy at the sale.

I think the whole point of this has been missed, maybe just my impression though. He's irritated because the bull doesn;t give him space, not that he's afraid of it. For any animal that doesn;t know it's space anything in hand is just a method of informing it what is too close. The other day our bull was pushing a gate to get through, the wife snapped him on the nose with her finger. Now he knows to give her LOTS of room because he seems to think she will kill him if she snaps his nose again.

dun":k95x1byx said:
I think the whole point of this has been missed, maybe just my impression though. He's irritated because the bull doesn;t give him space, not that he's afraid of it. For any animal that doesn;t know it's space anything in hand is just a method of informing it what is too close. The other day our bull was pushing a gate to get through, the wife snapped him on the nose with her finger. Now he knows to give her LOTS of room because he seems to think she will kill him if she snaps his nose again.

Absolutely....Besides we all know that Ole Hook ain't skeered of nuthin! :nod:

dun":j942yq6z said:
Excellent assessment Dun.

dun":3l68z1xq said:

I take from this story, and your reasoning ("seems to think she will kill him...."), that you, dun, have been snapped on the nose a time or two???? :lol: :cowboy:

Ouachita":27yh14w5 said:
dun":27yh14w5 said:

I take from this story, and your reasoning ("seems to think she will kill him...."), that you, dun, have been snapped on the nose a time or two???? :lol: :cowboy:
Nope. But he seems to think that it is just excrutiating pain, right on par with having an electroejaulator up his butt. Leastwise that's how he acts

dun":2my92ud0 said:
Ouachita":2my92ud0 said:
dun":2my92ud0 said:

Nope. But he seems to think that it is just excrutiating pain, right on par with having an electroejaulator up his butt. Leastwise that's how he acts

OK, but my wife has snapped me on the nose a few times (not for pushing open a gate :lol: ), and I could easily understand why a bull would fear for his life if she ever has a reason to snap him on the nose :shock: :lol:

Just changing the subject again:

The comment about borrowing a bull. I have borrowed one from a friend 2 or 3 times. He has a different breeding season from me so it works out good for both of us. He has a larger herd than I do also. He tells me which bull he thinks is good and I usually go with it. I have a some nice calves in the pasture from his bull I borrowed last year. As far as catching something from it he raised it and knows its conditions. I feel better with it than one I might buy at the sale.

Mine are leased because it was the easy option - they come from a company I trust, who supplies a certificate of the bulls' BVD-free and vaccinated status (I don't have to make extra phone calls resulting in a verbal assurance that it must've been done) and *if they go lame* the lessor will replace them. Last time I bought bulls two of them were found to have pre-existing foot injuries that put them out of action for the rest of the breeding season within the first week. There's a one-off lease fee which at least is something you can budget on - some years you can get your purchase price back on re-sale, other years you can lose half the value of the bull.
Last time I lost 1/3 to half the value of every bull on re-sale & had to replace the ones that went lame at my own cost & had to cover the cows with AI and extend the mating season to ensure they actually got in calf while the bulls were lazing around nursing their feet.
I'm still planning to buy a bull next year. I doubt I'll ever buy one through a stock agent again.

I would just like to add that I would hate to see hooknline leave the boards as I so often appreciate his avatar. :D

Latest posts