This bull is starting to get on my nerves

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita":1461uyno said:
I was wearing every piece of clothing I had, carharts with the hood, and a scarf (like having on blinders), squinting my eyes because of wind and sleet, with a sack of cubes on my left shoulder. Next thing I know, I'm 4 feet in the air, upside down.

Yeah, they notice any drastic change in appearance, you are something different and you might be a threat. I have a winter coat with a hood, and I have to be careful cause when I turn my head, some of my vision is blocked.

Gale Seddon":1s3ajymz said:
Ouachita":1s3ajymz said:
I was wearing every piece of clothing I had, carharts with the hood, and a scarf (like having on blinders), squinting my eyes because of wind and sleet, with a sack of cubes on my left shoulder. Next thing I know, I'm 4 feet in the air, upside down.

Yeah, they notice any drastic change in appearance, you are something different and you might be a threat. I have a winter coat with a hood, and I have to be careful cause when I turn my head, some of my vision is blocked.

I'm sure that looking different was a major factor. And I also talk to them in a normal tone when I feed, just to keep them used to my voice. I wasn't talking that day; to cold, hurt to breathe

Dang, ya'll got me looking at my bull in a different light. I have had him two years and he has always given me space and backed off from me with nothing more than shaking my hand at him. Lately he has been shaking his head at me when I am getting ready to dump the cubes in the bunk. No snort or pawing, but I don't like it. Is this alone enough to sell him off? I am very happy with his calves and he is an easy keeper. If I don't have the feed bucket, he ignores me and stays away, as all the cows but one do.

Double E":37r8gdrv said:
Dang, ya'll got me looking at my bull in a different light. I have had him two years and he has always given me space and backed off from me with nothing more than shaking my hand at him. Lately he has been shaking his head at me when I am getting ready to dump the cubes in the bunk. No snort or pawing, but I don't like it. Is this alone enough to sell him off? I am very happy with his calves and he is an easy keeper. If I don't have the feed bucket, he ignores me and stays away, as all the cows but one do.

Not for me. He just sounds anxious for his treat. Cows are just as bad or worse at times. You have to be cautious when that close to livestock. I wouldn't consider leasing or loaning a bull out for several reasons but that kicking and beating stuff is just one more to add to the list.

fitz

Red Bull Breeder":1sm74bb1 said:
I have been around a few fairly rank bulls, and that kick between the eyes would have just been a invitation.
Exactly, that's just antagonizing him and making him aggressive, that's when the defense mechanisms click in.
hooknline":1sm74bb1 said:
Im going to do my best to break him of it while ive got him. And ill make dern sure the owner knows whats going on. At least hes not mine and i dont have anything invested in him.
He is not yours to 'break' either Hook, avoid confrontation with him for two weeks and let him get the job done or if he is really aggressive send him back soonest.

Had a similar trouble with a bull blowing snot and tossing dirt at me. I put the business end of a pitchfork into his nose. He busted up our corral later and we shipped him.
Also that Churchill bull put me up the corral fence too.

Watch your back very carefully and ALWAYS carry your sidearm.

Mine are taught from the day they arrive.

Walking means nothing. If I stamp it means stop. If I jump it means turn and go.

None is allowed near me when going in with a wheelbarrow of hay and it is very easy to get them away from a gate to take the tractor through.

Our bulls act no different then the females. They are all just big babies. The thing is you have to treat a 2300 lb. baby with respect. Years ago I had one that I would go in and clean his pen with him in it. He loved to be scratched like a dog. when I would quit, he would but me in the rear for more just like a 2300 lb. dog. BE CAREFUL !!!!! :deadhorse:

Even though my bull (almost 2 yrs old) has bred every one of my cows, he is starting to get way too aggressive around feed/hay and has just this week broken a Rubbermaid round bin to bits, thrown a heavy poly water tank (with only a little water in it) 30 yards out into the pasture and flipped over a feeder filled with a brand new bag of minerals.

I am not going to put up with that destructive behavior and his ass will be McDonalds in the very near future.

I am going to start to AI my cows. Don't have to feed and care for the bull, don't have to put up with destruction, and can carry more cows to boot.

hooknline":218lregb said:
Well im goung out there with 3 ft of 1" black iron pipe from now on. And a side arm.

I still can't get over this post!!You are having problems with a bull,you are a guru on this board,so you must have lots of experience about cattle to post that often.Yet you have to carry a side arm just to feel safe around a bull?Does that not tell you something?That would be the day i had a bull around here that i was scared of,you do realize that bull can sense that you are scared of him.You also realize since the bull has attitude,his daughters will probably also have attitude,so don't bother keeping any replacements off of him.So now you have also wasted a year,of trying to build a even better herd then you have right now?I really don't get it :roll: !!

No. I carry a sidearm mainly for snakes round here.
Guru status doesnt mean squat to me because i dont know squat
All calves are terminal unless the heifers show me something really good.
Anything else?

hooknline":5u565qel said:
Hes constantly up my rear at feeding and anytime im near the cows or calves.
Just now he dropped his head on me so i kicked him square between the eyes with my boot heel. Yep he was that close. 20 more days give or take and hes back where he belongs
His calves are good but this is last time ill use him

Watch he doesn't get you at 19 days. I have to say that the first time one of my bulls lowers his head to me he gets a quick ride in the trailer and baloney sale.

I do stay away from my bulls and never touch them nor look them in the eye. In return they are deferential and move out of my way when needed. I do have a young homegrown bull who loves to play by rolling expensive Mineralyx tubs down the hill to the point where I need to chain the tubs to a stout post. Yet so far I see this a playful behavior and he has never shown a sign of being aggressive. The key is they defer to me. When they don't they go for a trailer ride.

There is always some time when you are not looking that yours sounds like he might get you. We need all the contributors here we can get - don't want to lose any. And if you feel you need to carry a gun I think he should be on a trailer now. A pistol bullet is not likely to stop him before he hurts you anyway.

And watch his sons and maybe daughters. This attitude problem is a heritable trait. Good luck.

Jim

I carry pistol in my pocket at all time, you just never know what you might run into. But when I feed or am working cows I carry a piece of 1" PVC pipe and make the bull's stay back and the cows to for the most part.

Boy, I was wondering, why are some of you raising such "dangerous" animals if you have to beat 'em with t-posts iron bars, pvc pipe, stabbing them with pitchforks, firing guns, just to walk thru your herd. None of that would do you a helluva lot of good if they decided to stomp you into the pile of crap that's laying by your feet. I think the biggest problem with unruly cattle stares back at you every morning in the mirror.

Roadapple":1qoaiz8a said:
Boy, I was wondering, why are some of you raising such "dangerous" animals if you have to beat 'em with t-posts iron bars, pvc pipe, stabbing them with pitchforks, firing guns, just to walk thru your herd. None of that would do you a helluva lot of good if they decided to stomp you into the pile of crap that's laying by your feet. I think the biggest problem with unruly cattle stares back at you every morning in the mirror.

No offense Roadapple but after reading your post it tells me that you probably aren't going to see it coming when one of yours decides to use you for a chew toy!

3waycross":3qtvijw5 said:
Roadapple":3qtvijw5 said:

No offense Roadapple but after reading your post it tells me that you probably aren't going to see it coming when one of yours decides to use you for a chew toy!

Well, that is true.
The one other bull I worked with (in 2003) that showed stalking behaviour, we laid into him with pvc pipe right from the start. He respected that bit of pipe - and he sure respected you when you were holding it.
This Jersey bull I've never touched and I'm not about to start. He's got no fear of humans and I'm not going to change that in the few weeks that are left before he goes home. Yep, I'm wishing I'd gone out there first time eight weeks ago with something in my hand to give him a crack across the nose when he got too close, but now we've established a routine where he follows and nothing happens.

And now you all know the reason(s) I rent a bull every year. Two months for 10 cows costs me $250.00. I haul him in, haul him home, pay the man. My small herd of quiet cows, I get a virgin bull as a general rule. He is here June and July so they are on grass, I am in with them only to clip pasture. Be careful Hook.

Latest posts