Thinking about leasing a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Cassidy

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has every leased a bull for their operation? Is it a good option while bull prices are so high or is it pretty risky? Thoughts? I want to hear your experiences!

Cassidy":1va7wz9i said:
I was wondering if anyone has every leased a bull for their operation? Is it a good option while bull prices are so high or is it pretty risky? Thoughts? I want to hear your experiences!

Have leased bulls several times in the past. Make sure youre leasing from a reputable outfit that tests their bulls regularly(BSE, trich, etc). I always tried to get there early (before peak breeding season kicks off) and speak for the bull I wanted. Gives you a chance to ask questions, observe, note temperament, etc. There is always risk involved. Make sure to discuss how long you expect to have the bull in your care, and what the arrangement will be should the bull become injured. It happens. Good luck.

Make sure you have all of your paperwork in order as well! A good operation is going to want to see your health records or health certificates on your herd before they bring any of their bulls to your place.

Freind of mine leases/rents Bulls, $50 per cow you own, you get the bull for three heat cycles about 70 to 75 days. It works great for him and for the person leasing the bull. He doesn't feed the bull but for a couple of months a year and the person leasing the bull only has to feed a bull for a few weeks.

I have thought about buying a bull at the sale, having them test him, take him home for 90 days and then run him back through the sale...... I have just a few head these days, in the rebuilding stage.

Alan":3hr4ompj said:
Freind of mine leases/rents Bulls, $50 per cow you own, you get the bull for three heat cycles about 70 to 75 days. It works great for him and for the person leasing the bull. He doesn't feed the bull but for a couple of months a year and the person leasing the bull only has to feed a bull for a few weeks.

I have thought about buying a bull at the sale, having them test him, take him home for 90 days and then run him back through the sale...... I have just a few head these days, in the rebuilding stage.
That's about the going rate around here as well Alan.

Cassidy, where are you located?

We leased our first 5 years and it worked out well because we're a small operation and have a friend that will "rent a bull"...they deliver and pickup, no housing of a bull the other 9 months. Recently, we bought ownership in 2 bulls and used them the last couple years. I'd rather lease and likely will next year. Every situation is different.

Latest posts