Things my Neighbors Do when Spraying Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

10-e-c-dirtfarmer

Reaction score
Neighbor 1, 300 gal tank: No matter what he sprays with he adds 1 more gal. of 24D. 2.5 gal Crossbow +1 gal 24D, 2.5 gal Brash + 1 gal 24D, 2.5 gal Forefront + 1 gal 24D, 2.5 gal Weedmaster + 1gal 24D, and the list goes on!

Neighbor 2, Makes his own Crossbow, 3 parts Remedy, 5 parts 24D, says its much cheaper + stronger, so he uses even less..

Neighbor 3, In a 50 gal tank, spraying with 24D or Crossbow he will add 4 ozs of Roundup..

What you'll think of all this??

This year i am going to ease off spraying and let stuff go to seed its no point overseeding and plant clover each year to kill it with 24d so I will be spot spraying weeds only.

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":2pzup6ga said:
Neighbor 1, 300 gal tank: No matter what he sprays with he adds 1 more gal. of 24D. 2.5 gal Crossbow +1 gal 24D, 2.5 gal Brash + 1 gal 24D, 2.5 gal Forefront + 1 gal 24D, 2.5 gal Weedmaster + 1gal 24D, and the list goes on!

Neighbor 2, Makes his own Crossbow, 3 parts Remedy, 5 parts 24D, says its much cheaper + stronger, so he uses even less..

Neighbor 3, In a 50 gal tank, spraying with 24D or Crossbow he will add 4 ozs of Roundup..

What you'll think of all this??
I wonder why neighbor 3 even bothers with adding 4 oz of anything to a 50gal tank mix. I think that works out to around 1oz:1600 oz ratio, roundup to water.

Depends what you are trying to control. Dog fennel, pigweed, wooley croton--spray early.
Most woody type plants can wait and you will get a better and closer to permanent kill if you spray them when the sap is dropping.

greybeard":27x8frxa said:
Depends what you are trying to control. Dog fennel, pigweed, wooley croton--spray early.
Most woody type plants can wait and you will get a better and closer to permanent kill if you spray them when the sap is dropping.

Mares tail is my biggest problem I hate the stuff and try to burn it soon as it sticks a ugly head up.

OP if you need some info on spraying you should talk to neighbor 1.
300 gal tank he is probably calibrated to 20gal/acre so 15 acres to the tank. That's how my 200gal rig is calibrated.
2.5 gal of various expensive herbicides = 20 pints = 1.33pints to acre (little weak)
Add 1 gal of 2,4D (which if you check their label it makes up 35% to 50% of the expensive herbicides) will give you 8 more pints of chemical.
Then 2.5 + 1 = 28 pints/15acres = 1.87 pints/acre.
Pretty good mix for most pastures.
I use 2.5 gal of chemical of choice (usually 2,4D LowVol) in 200 gal tank and cover 10 acres = 20gal mix or 2 pints Chemical/acre

I have a boom sprayer and spray 20 gallons an acre @50 psi and 5 mph.

Latest posts