Things MM has learned recently...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
over Christmas break. I stayed pretty busy getting more experience with things I've done before, as well as learning new hands-on things... lots of stuff I've seen other people do a lot but never done myself. Anyway...

1) Cows in labor can squeeze pretty hard when you're trying to fix a malpresentation. LOL. Calf had one leg back... it was a first for me. Also, I learned my arms aren't long enough to get hold of the calf when the cow is laying down. Standing up was a just-barely (big dairy cow).

2) Running IVs on dehydrated calves is much harder than it looks... and much, much harder than my vet makes it look! He can get it in one try; I end up doing acupuncture. lol.

3) Along the same lines as #2... when you're holding the IV bag under the heat lamp to keep it warm while running the IV... it gets heavy really quickly. :lol2:

4) Air in the IV line will not kill a calf. :p

5) A 1600lb+ Holstein cow is a bit big for poor, short MM to preg check. There must be some tricks of the trade I have yet to learn.

6) The look on the face of the owner of a 2000-cow dairy, when he came to buy a springer and I led her out on a halter and walked her into his trailer like a horse... that expression was well worth the time spent training her. :lol: :p I suspect that was a first for him! (Granted, I had no choice but to halter break as my pens are snowed in and no one is getting in or out with a trailer. lol.)

7) Most nurse cows don't need more than a week to accept calves... mine is going on 3 weeks and still has an attitude. Apparently cows get their own ideas about life when they're left to themselves in the milking herd for a year. LOL.

8.) It's not a good idea to give calves pills without a balling gun, unless you're certain you have really tough fingers. :oops:

9) It is not recommended to carry a cell phone in ones' unclosed jacket pocket while riding high strung horses. :p

10) It is impossible to find a cell phone one has lost under the circumstances described in #9, especially if the ground is covered in snow. :?

And lastly...

11) I have the best vet and the best boss anywhere. :nod: :)

I smiled at your post here, MM.
Dun's hay bale may be your friend.
Correcting a presentation is as hard a work as there is anywhere.
An experienced vet who can teach is priceless.

#5....remember to keep your jacket buttoned all the way up...or at the least wear real tight fitting bibs. Better yet wear coveralls.
Great post MM, always enjoy you sharing your experience,,,you paint a nice mental picture...thanks
Sue & Dave Mc

MM, you're a trip worth taking.
Some how you manage to lift my spirits with your dry humor when I 'm a little down. :clap:
But then again I have always been a sucker for dry humor and brown eyes.

As for # 1
my arms aren't long enough to get hold of the calf when the cow is laying down.
If the cow is lying down, then you must lay down too.

AS for # 5 Dun is correct. Use a bale of hay.
You must always be able to have your arm at least perpendicular to the cow's rear end.
The best way is to have your extended arm slightly higher then the cow so you can reach in and down when you have to.

Thanks for the lift
SL

Relating to #10: It's also impossible to ring the phone and hope to find it in a bunch of round bales after it has been baled inside one of them

I had to dig up a freshly set fence post to retrieve my cell phone last year. Phone was okay, but had to re-set the post.

grubbie and dun - LOL! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's lost a cell phone in unusual circumstances (why couldn't it be something normal, like my friend at college who merely left hers under the desk???). :p Oh, and it's also impossible to call one's lost cell phone - and expect to find it - when it was left on vibrate. :roll:

re the haybale idea... probably would work pretty well if I were behind just one cow; however, I was traveling with my vet and we were going down the row of cows in headlocks. I'm thinking he did say something about one vet he knew that pulled a sled behind him, and he could just park it right behind the cows. :lol:

SL, I was pretty close flat on the ground... could get my hand up to the fetlock joint but couldn't get my fingers over the hoof, and boss had told me before he left that I needed to cup my hand over the hoof so it wouldn't tear anything when I pulled the leg forward. When he came back, he suggested we get her up as it's often easier to reposition a calf when the cow is standing - another lesson learned! :p

The hay bale isn;t just behind one cow, you drag it from cow to cow.

#8 I have experience with that one. OUCH!
#4 Huh...I've always wondered about that....
Have also discoved it is foolish to clip a phone to your back pocket while working with goats ~ you never know who they'll call :help:
Fun Post!

milkmaid":2qtmsue2 said:
8.) It's not a good idea to give calves pills without a balling gun, unless you're certain you have really tough fingers. :oops:

You got that right, those little buggars have some sharp teeth. Wife gave me two new balling guns for Christmas, the nice chrome ones. I like them a lot better than the dam cell phone she insisted on getting me, what a pain in the butt.

cfpinz

milkmaid":6c2k9ebp said:
9) It is not recommended to carry a cell phone in ones' unclosed jacket pocket while riding high strung horses. :p

10) It is impossible to find a cell phone one has lost under the circumstances described in #9, especially if the ground is covered in snow. :?

Silly me, my first visual was of the phone RINGING and consequently having a high strung horse. the strangest place i ever lost a cellphone was inside my fourwheeler.

Nice post MM, thanks for sharing some useful information and for making me smile! :)

Larry

Regarding the hay bale, I use a plastic square milk crate instead. It gives you the same height as a hay bale, but its lighter and easier to carry around with you. I use it for AI work, palpation and correcting malpresentations. I tend to run out of arm when working with those real big cows, but the crate not only gives me the height I can also reach further too. Lol everyone tends to laugh when they drop in and find me up to my shoulder in a cow.

Keren":3kvbcr57 said:
Regarding the hay bale, I use a plastic square milk crate instead. It gives you the same height as a hay bale, but its lighter and easier to carry around with you. I use it for AI work, palpation and correcting malpresentations. I tend to run out of arm when working with those real big cows, but the crate not only gives me the height I can also reach further too. Lol everyone tends to laugh when they drop in and find me up to my shoulder in a cow.

I've used the crate when breeding some Holsteins and almost eveyr Braunvieh and Brown Swiss. They were bred in a chute so the hay bale wasn;t practical like it would be in a flat barn
There used to be a young man that participated on another forum that stood just over 4 foot tall and had a special 2 step crate that he drug from cow to cow while he was milking. He finally got his own dairy and midified the pit by building a raised platform around the sides so he could reach the cows.

Latest posts