There goes first cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Was all set to bale yesterday till the fog rolled in and the humidity stayed at 100% all day.
We've been having severe thunderstorms now for the last half hour and more are lined up.

dun

You did better than we are. We can't even think about
baling. I mowed 50 acres Monday and it's rained every
day since. To top it all off, lightening struck and killed
one of our cows yesterday. Note...the weatherman
forcast "slight" chance of showers. Pooh!

How much did you have down Dun? I only had 7 acres cut, problem is I have to leave on business and won't be back til thursday.

Sorry to hear it Dun. Got a feeling a lot of folks are either going to be cutting late this year or from what I saw have wet hay to put up as it's raining here as well and I saw a lot of folks with hay down yesterday. Going to have to be careful if buying hay this year as I'm sure some for sale will have been rained on and/or put up wet.

I cut last Wednesday. Beautiful day in the 70's with almost no humidity.

Thursday started out great as the weather was about the same but due to a wheel breaking off the rake a 2-3 hour job took over six.

Was going to go ahead an bale till midnight as the humidity was still low and no dew was on the ground but I could not get the baler going. Drank a couple of beers and headed to bed around 10 after working on the dang thing for about 3 hours.

Got up Friday and had it going in 30 minutes. Amazing what a good nights rest can do for ya'. Just had to swap out a couple of hydraulic hoses and mess with a fitting.

Dew burned off and I baled on Friday. Was hot but no other complaints. Obligations had me busy after baling and yesterday as well. Was going to put the hay in the barn this morning but it's raining. Oh well, would rather it get wet now than before it was baled or still have it standing in the field.

Pretty good hay crop this year but not as good as 2 years ago. Guess about anything is better though than what we had last year.

Good luck with the weather. I think your hay still should be fine long as you can get it cut this week. Heck I still see folks who think June is when you cut around here!

Oops, just re-read your post Dun. Did you have it cut and was set to bale today? Sorry to hear it if you did.

J

EIEIO":29j4m7vn said:
Oops, just re-read your post Dun. Did you have it cut and was set to bale today? Sorry to hear it if you did.

J
I took a chance that the weather liars knew what they were talkign about and have about 50 acres down. All that I ws planning on haying this year. Sunny when I cut it, but it's eithr had warm and high humidity or cool and cloudy, yesterday foggy, so it was fianlly dry last night just tough because of the humidity. Ah well, life goes on and so does haying

dun

Just when I startedx to hink things were getting better, another heavy thunderstorm going on now, this one has hale mixed with the rain. I'm so delighted I can hardly stand it

dun

dun":68kosztx said:
Was all set to bale yesterday till the fog rolled in and the humidity stayed at 100% all day.
We've been having severe thunderstorms now for the last half hour and more are lined up.

dun

We've had afternoon and early evening thunderstorms every day since Thursday - no hay down, though. Last summer we managed to get 1 cutting out of 4 baled with no rain. The other 3 were rained on anywhere from a few days to 2 weeks. I understand!

dun":rnurvg1g said:
Just when I startedx to hink things were getting better, another heavy thunderstorm going on now, this one has hale mixed with the rain. I'm so delighted I can hardly stand it

dun

The weatherman seems to be great at telling us what happened yesterday. I don't put a lot of faith in them for long range forecasts. But what options do we have? I'm small but I
don't like to get more than about 10 acres down at a time. If it doesn't rain on me something breaks down. After I'm done haying I'll be praying for rain. It's really dry here.

fitz

I wish we had hay to cut. We had a lot of rain this past week, but its been so dab burn cold nothing growing. Seen a few snow flakes today. Orchard grass about six inches tall and heading.

This afternoon I was talking with the gent that I hay with. He asid that in MO during hay season you hate to complain about the rain because in 10 days it may be so dry everything is dying. Them be some true words, that's for sure.

it must be nice to have grass that is higher than an inch. or rain for that matter.

Hey Dun

Sorry about your hay. I cut 50 acres week before last and finally got it put up this past Wednsday. It rained on it lightly twice and highs in the 60's and 70's but it finally cured and you know what, it looked good. I hope yours will be fine as well.

I also cut another 60 acres on Saturday and only had some sprinkles on it today so, hopefully some of the light stuff will go tomorrow if it doesn't rain tonight.

If thats not bad enough, summer baseball for the kiddies starts tomorrow and will be at the ballpark 4 nights per week so that should also slow me down.

Good luck and if this thing straightens out, you might just get a good 2nd cutting.

Dub

Dun, I know the feeling, have about 80 acres on the ground. Started baling this afternoon, after about 50 rolls, started raining like pouring P out of a boot. It will dry out one of these days.

Dun - Sorry to hear of your luck. I cut the first field yesterday and was able to bale it today its so dry. Got less than half of what that field produced last year. All of my fields look thin, how's everyone else's yields so far?

cfpinz":1lpxxbpu said:
Got less than half of what that field produced last year. All of my fields look thin, how's everyone else's yields so far?

Oh man, that really bites! :( We haven't cut first cutting yet, but our yield's don't count anyway because we're irrigated.

msscamp":37t20bf6 said:
cfpinz":37t20bf6 said:
Got less than half of what that field produced last year. All of my fields look thin, how's everyone else's yields so far?

Oh man, that really bites! :( We haven't cut first cutting yet, but our yield's don't count anyway because we're irrigated.

The past two years' first cuttings have been above average. More than adequate rainfall but hard to put it up dry. It's nice to have a little extra change from selling extra hay in the summer, looks like this year the money might be going the other way. :(

cfpinz":16o737ce said:
msscamp":16o737ce said:
cfpinz":16o737ce said:

The past two years' first cuttings have been above average. More than adequate rainfall but hard to put it up dry. It's nice to have a little extra change from selling extra hay in the summer, looks like this year the money might be going the other way. :(

I'm assuming by 'hard to put it up dry', you're talking about the hay getting rained off after cutting? I hear you on the extra change, and I truly hope that the weather patterns straighten out and the money does not go the other way.

It has been hot and dry here for the past few weeks (got a bit of rain last night). *quick check* still have a dugout *whew*

cfpinz":35tthkqm said:
Dun - Sorry to hear of your luck. I cut the first field yesterday and was able to bale it today its so dry. Got less than half of what that field produced last year. All of my fields look thin, how's everyone else's yields so far?

Same here. Running about 65% of last year. As dry as it's getting I don't complain if it does shower on it while down. Next couple days look to be good hay weather.

fitz

Latest posts