the###### WEATHER!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Betty

Reaction score
So, we didn't plow the snow because some light rain was forecast, could have made it all icy, didn't want to create a skating rink out of the yard.....WELL, it's been POURING for 24 hours, now we have icy soup, cattle are a mess. YIKES! I hate a winter rain!!!
But, despite all that, MERRY CHRISTMAS :)

Its been raining quite steady here. Last week I had every tractor stuck in 3 feet of yellow baby $hit mud. Worked for two days in the rain trying to pull them out. Broke a very nice wench. Finally moved a D8 70 miles to pull them out. Pulled over 100 feet of cable and chains and got them out. Wasn't a happy camper at all but I look at the lush winter grazing and remember what it was like the last two years and I can't complain but am reminded that there is no good time to be in agriculture.

dang joegee i bet you was madd having to pull all your tractors out.id hated moving a D8 as well.rain can be a pain.

bigbull338":394clgab said:
dang joegee i bet you was madd having to pull all your tractors out.id hated moving a D8 as well.rain can be a pain.

I wasn't happy. Especially since the whole thing could have been avoided had one of my guys listened to me but what can you expect of a rocket scientist. :cry2: Messin and gommin with equipment when its wet gets EXPENSIVE but I have little choice. I'm just glad I don't have a high dollar cotton picker buried to the frame like my cousin does. At this point the excavator is the only hope.

gulp a stuck cotton picker now that really sucks.id hate having to get the cotton picker out.but hey i have a bro like your employees.he stuck our big tractor.so we made him get it out.finally had a friend bring his 4wd drive over an bust him loose.

Breaking a wench has to be hard, never have been able to train mine to do anything I wanted.

dun":obakoi01 said:
Breaking a wench has to be hard, never have been able to train mine to do anything I wanted.

(laugin at Dun)

Weather is the same here. a foot a snow last week and rain the last 2 days. Welcome to the mudwhole. Best i can hope for is a good freeze.

Oh i did plow the drive and it is a skateing rink now.

I walked out in the back to pick a tree limb off the fence. everywhere i stepped it was 3 inches of water under 6 inches of snow. Socks are drying above the fireplace now.

For the first time since we have lived in Idaho (6 yr), we don't have a White Christmas. I was just out moving the fence for the cows daily grazing break. About 20F at 2:30 PM and crystal clear skies, no breeze, just a beautiful all around day.

Sorry about all the mud you guys aren't enjoying. It's one of the reasons we left Muddy MO. I haven't had to worry about for years now! :D

Well, at least have a Merry Christmas

JRGidaho`":yr74oh6r said:
For the first time since we have lived in Idaho (6 yr), we don't have a White Christmas. I was just out moving the fence for the cows daily grazing break. About 20F at 2:30 PM and crystal clear skies, no breeze, just a beautiful all around day.

Sorry about all the mud you guys aren't enjoying. It's one of the reasons we left Muddy MO. I haven't had to worry about for years now! :D

Well, at least have a Merry Christmas
Just had to gloat didn;t you? We're dealig with 3 iches of snow, 19 degrees and mud under the snow.

We got 3/4's of an inch last night. Gonna be fun next week. Dun it really depends on how hard headed the wenches are. In my situation I thought it good to bring some diversity into my family so I married an Aggie so you can only imagine how hard headed she can be. Red Bull Breeder, I know you can empathize. This is a lot like 94 and 2003. Won't have to worry about rusty dibbles or hoe dads this year.

Red Bull Breeder":19hwmakq said:
be nice of alot easier to pull a dibble operator out off the mud than a tractor.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I got one particular fella in mind that I'd just leave for the crawfish and buzzards. ;-)

Nothing but snow and ice here, roads are closed because for us this was a freak blizzard. We rarely get more than an inch or two of snow so we were not prepared for 10 inches dumped on us. Very few snow plows are running and roads are still mostly impassable even with four wheel drive. Four foot snow drifts are making it very difficult to impossible to get hay to the cattle. Hope it warms up soon.

From a deep dark place in my memory, dibbles and hoedads,green end up brown end down. Thousands and thousands of hellish little pine trees.Cold fingers on slurry covered hands. Its a night mare!!! Glad i woke up!! Luck to you Jo. Glad i don't plant them dam little pine trees any more. Oh Jo by the way what you guys a charging to machine plant now a days? Might have the chance to bid on a little job a little later.

Yikes J+! How far north are you? We got some he11ish winds yesterday, and snow flurries most of the day, but no accumulation. I know Oklahoma was a total disaster from over a foot of snow. Hope it melts before the Ft. Worth stock show! :cowboy:

We are -20 with windchill, 25 mph winds and snow right now. Supposed to keep it up through tomorrow night. Sounds like everyone is dealing with some kind of nightmare. Poor cows. All they have for shelter is some sagebrush. We raise 'em tough around here! By the way,....what the devil is is a dibble and a hoedad?

The wind is still howling here, actual temp is in the teens so wind chill is below zero. It took a few inches of snow and turned it into 2 foot drifts. Last night it was coming out of the west/northwest, now it has shifted around more southwest and is drifting the snow into new places. Usually a southwest wind brings warmth but this is COLD.

Grubbie dibbles and hoedads are tools of toture,Jojeeis cursed with having to use because of all the rain and mud that his tractors can't get threw.Jo's time at the keyboard of his computer is over because off blistered and cramped hands. His back will be forever bowed from the constant up and down pumping jack motions and the carrying off thousands of little dam pine trees on his back.

Well, if misery loves company, then the weather is a good topic to pick. This freak storm that blew in covers a lot of states.

Here in my area, we had 4-10 inches of snow if you can measure it. With the temperature below freezing and the wind gusting up to 50 miles an hour, the snow doesn't sit in one place for long. There's no reason to plow any roads open, because they close back shut in an hour. So I have been snowbound since christmas eve. They say the wether will break tommorow sometime, or maybe by monday anyway. At least the four wheel drive chore tractor has a really nice heater.

I think I need to throw another chunk of wood on the fire.

Latest posts