the###### WEATHER!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":3io51gor said:
Yikes J+! How far north are you?

I am just south of the Oklahoma border, I should be thankful because I saw reports on the news last night that about 15 miles to the west they had up to 16 inches of snow. Could be a while before we thaw out enough for me to get to the cows and be able to put out any hay. Guess they will just have to lick the liquid feed wheel while it lasts.

We had a good rain just before the snow hit.Now I'm talking about some deep mud before all this snow.
I can imagine what a mess we're gonna have when it melts.
People are already finding out just because it's covered with snow it don't get rid of mud underneath.

Cal

We have had snow for almost a week, so had to cart water to some of the cattle, and all the pigs and poultry, it rained on the 24th, so we are now awash with mud,coating all the livestock and vehicles, at least I got home by 12 on Christmas day, it would have been 6pm had I been carting water!

Calman":d9wq9u9v said:
We had a good rain just before the snow hit.Now I'm talking about some deep mud before all this snow.
I can imagine what a mess we're gonna have when it melts.
People are already finding out just because it's covered with snow it don't get rid of mud underneath.

Cal
We had the rain before the snow too. But with 40-50 mph winds the snow pretty much blew away. The driveway for the first 200 yds from the house, (uphill of course) is a solid sheet of ice.

Well Knock on wood. The storm petered out before it got to us. Oh sure we had rain Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, but by the time the temperature dropped below freezing most of the moisture was out of the air. We only got 1-2 inches of snow but probably 1-1&1/2 inches of rain. And we did not get all the high winds that were forecast either. Only 40-50 miles west of us all the way out to central Nebraska they had a great deal more snow and blizzard conditions. It was 9 degrees this morning and in the upper teens to low twenties now, a beautiful winter day. I hope everyone and all your livestock come through the storm okay.

One of the hills looked like a scene right out of Mad Max. Cars strewn all over the side of the road.

dun":9b6aitnq said:
Breaking a wench has to be hard, never have been able to train mine to do anything I wanted.

Most of the 'wenches' I know have a mind of their own, and you can pretty much forget about ever breaking them! Now, show a little understanding and appreciation and they will do most anything that a man asks. ;-) :lol: :lol:

No snow here- but I am plenty worried
Its been soggy wet for over two months- and we are just now getting into our normal soggy period.
The pastures are getting tore up bad, and I haven;t been able to clean out the pens in months so they are getting real bad- and I doubt i will get a chance at them till spring unless it freezes hard here(doesn;t happpen very often)

I was crossing the pasture on the farmer wheeler and it just sunk to the frame- no spinning tires or anything ,just dropped. I gathered branches and made me a road to get out on. Now I send the dogs and I stay to the high ground and just pray that there's nothing sick hiding or trees on the fences. Never had to do that before.

Back in September or October, the tv meteorologists were all saying that the long range predictions showed above average temperatures and below average precipitation. In other words, a mild winter. Me and hubby looked at each other, rolled our eyes and concluded we were gonna have the winter from he!!. Sometimes it sucks to be right.

MO_cows is in the same weather pattern as we are. It hasn't been dry since last January! :frowns:

I am happy to say that my cows were smarter than I had been giving them credit.

I went out to feed them up good before the storm really got started. I hadn't gotten around to getting them moved into their usuall winter lot, so they were still up on the north east pasture. Anyway, when I got out to their pasture, they were all puddled up in one spot, and I thought "how unusuall for them to be standing in this particular spot". When I got out of the tractor where they were..... there wasn't a bit of wind blowing there. I thought .... "ah ha, I see now" They had running water just 30 feet away from that spot, so I fed them there, and that's were they have been every since.

I'm hoping for a break in the weather this week, so I can get the gals a little closer to home.

Got back to check "posts" and see misery loves company!
Heard once on the radio that there really wasnt any down-side to "global warming" if you lived in Minnesota.
WELL- the last few years it has been nothing but amazing storms with tons of precip, and the ice is just ridiculous.
But everyday is just one day closer to spring, we're on the right side of it now, so we just have to hang on!
HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone out there in computer land! :clap:

Latest posts