The way I unroll hay

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
chaded said:
He is delivering some other ones on the way and said he likes to get a few of them ordered before he delivers them so maybe if your interested you can give him a call and get in on this round?

Thanks for the update, but I am nowhere near you in Ohio. It would be a lot easier for me to make the 2-hour drive to his dealer in SC. but, thanks for thinking of me.

No problem, I didn't realize you were 2 hours away. The owner is actually located in South Carolina and is bringing them up this way. I didn't know if maybe he could 'swing' that way on his way up.

whether you think you can
or whether you think you can't
you are probably right...

someone famous is supposed to have said something like that.

If a person is putting out hay close to their place where they can unroll each day it is a good option. Many of our pastures are 20-25 miles one way away and unless it is extremely cold or snow on the ground we feed every 3rd day. In this situation unrolling doesn't work. We do unroll during extreme bad weather where we will be visiting the pasture every day. We also roll out poor quality grass hay during these periods so they have a dry bed to lay on.

bird dog said:
If I have a roll on backwards, I just unroll in reverse. it won't hurt the hay unless its muddy. Most of it goes between the tires anyway.

I use on of these.
https://www.everythingattachments.com/4-or-5-foot-WIde-Round-Hay-Bale-Unroller-p/ea-hbu-4-5w.htm

More expensive than others but very well made almost to the point of overkill. It is way heavier built than others. The stand makes it easy to hook up. The initial expense is tough but the implement will last a lot longer than I will.

I ended up getting the unroller you linked here. Very well built. I got it today and started unrolling and I think I'm going to like this better than the rings.

The cows were chasing me and jumping around all excited until I pulled the bale up and left. They thought I was leaving the bale but I just rolled out some and took off. Lol. The calves and bull went to town on it but the cows protested. I reckon they will figure it out.

It's definitely going to be a learning curve for me trying to figure out how much to unroll. I'd like to get a half of bale rolled out at a time but trying to to judge what's half was a little hard. I guess I will see how hungry they are tomorrow.

I am intrigued by the pull type unroller. I may have to check into them a little more. I have PLENTY of hills, but with the wet weather we've been having, my fields are getting bad pretty quick. Some areas are already in poor enough condition that I do not try to unroll hay there because I don't want ruts going up and down a hill...they'll be there forever and only get bigger.
For those looking for an affordable 3pt hitch unroller, you might check with your local High School Ag department? I know our local FFA chapter makes 3 point hitch unrollers (among other useful implements, etc.) and sells them as a fundraiser for them. They are built similar to the one linked above, but without the user friendly stands for easily hooking up/unhooking. They are a BEACH to hook up by yourself if you do not put them up on blocks or something, but they work dang good.

VaCowman said:
I am intrigued by the pull type unroller. I may have to check into them a little more. I have PLENTY of hills, but with the wet weather we've been having, my fields are getting bad pretty quick. Some areas are already in poor enough condition that I do not try to unroll hay there because I don't want ruts going up and down a hill...they'll be there forever and only get bigger.
For those looking for an affordable 3pt hitch unroller, you might check with your local High School Ag department? I know our local FFA chapter makes 3 point hitch unrollers (among other useful implements, etc.) and sells them as a fundraiser for them. They are built similar to the one linked above, but without the user friendly stands for easily hooking up/unhooking. They are a BEACH to hook up by yourself if you do not put them up on blocks or something, but they work dang good.
Get an inexpensive trailer jack and bolt-on or weld it to the unroller.

We sold/ scraped our rings. I didn't like the mess it made. The boss cows ate most of hay. We used 1/3 less by unrolling it. And we are fertilizing and seeding and don't have to spread manure.

sstterry said:
VaCowman said:
Get an inexpensive trailer jack and bolt-on or weld it to the unroller.

Or set it on crossties....

I have unrolled hay for years for my cows. It saved my neck when that first cow tested positive with Johnes disease. My herds exposure was limited because they were always spread out and the hay was unrolled on clean ground.

Just wanted to update you on this. As I mentioned previously, I talked to Greg Judy and the only way he would ship is if I used Uship and set it up myself. I just talked to Baron (owner of hay-b-gone unroller) today and he said he will bring one up within the next few weeks, definitely by the end of the year.

He is delivering some other ones on the way and said he likes to get a few of them ordered before he delivers them so maybe if your interested you can give him a call and get in on this round?
Old thread I know but I am trying to find the contact info for the Hay B Gone guy? I am in Michigan and have been unrolling hay by hand for a few years. Health issues are making a 4x5 really hard to roll through the snow. I need an unroller. I can't seem to find any phone numbers or email for the Hay B gones. Any help would be appreciated.

Old thread I know but I am trying to find the contact info for the Hay B Gone guy? I am in Michigan and have been unrolling hay by hand for a few years. Health issues are making a 4x5 really hard to roll through the snow. I need an unroller. I can't seem to find any phone numbers or email for the Hay B gones. Any help would be appreciated.
Adam - (417) 693-3492
Email: [email protected]

Good Life Grass Farms LLC
7883 State Highway W
Pierce City, MO 65723

https://www.goodlifegrassfarms.com/contact

Greg Judy also makes one.
http://greenpasturesfarm.net/bale-unrollers/

last time I talked to anyone from hay b gone was back in 2019. The owners number that I have is 864-323-3060. His name is Baron.

I will tell you how my experience went. As you can see in my post you quoted I had talked to the owner and he was supposed to make a trip up my way and was going to contact me when he was going to but I never heard from him. I ended up getting an unroller from Greg Judy.

After looking at the pictures of the hay b gone and looking at my Greg Judy unroller, I am glad I went with the one from Greg Judy. It looks to be built better and more heavy duty in my opinion.

I couldn't get a hold of the Hay b gone guy. The Judy baler is sold from a distributor down your way in Greenville OH. I am going down there tomorrow to pick one up. The timing is great too. My tractor is going to be spending the next month at the dealer getting an engine rebuild.

I couldn't get a hold of the Hay b gone guy. The Judy baler is sold from a distributor down your way in Greenville OH. I am going down there tomorrow to pick one up. The timing is great too. My tractor is going to be spending the next month at the dealer getting an engine rebuild.

I think you will be better off with that one, it's well built. Just a tip you probably already know but I didn't is you only need to drive those spikes in basically just far enough to clear any gates you will be going through. 8" or so? Depends on the size of bale.

For whatever reason I had a dumb moment when I got mine and was out there with a 8lb maul pounding away trying to beat them things all the way in. I eventually cracked the end of a spike.

I was about to get rid of the thing and called the guy that makes those unrollers for Greg Judy. He made me some flat end caps to install but told me I didn't need to beat the spikes to death and they only needed to go in 8" or so. I never installed the caps and life got much easier only having to push them in a little bit. Lol.

I was just doing the same thing with a t-post pounder I keep in my Jeep. It didn't work too well so I was gonna put the 16lb sledge to it. Thanks for the info. I have used a few times and it is my new favorite farm tool. I still have a good bit of grass to graze but am trying to stretch it into the winter so I am unrolling a roll after they graze down the paddock they are in before moving. I was bummed that I couldn't just unroll half a bale and then crank it up a drive away. The bales all fall apart. I think that I might try to unroll a half then wrap a ratchet strap around the leave'ins. I think that might work.

Date in book says July 74, I think pa bought it at Carter & Carter in Johnson City. Was for a 5x5, had to put longer spears in for 4x5. I bought a Worksaver spinoff, used for a while. went back to the old Vermeer.

Attachments

• 20231107_152539.jpg
    20231107_152539.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Does anyone one know what the transport costs on either of those rigs I posted is? It is just too far for me to go to MO to get one, however, I think the South Carolina dealer is within a reasonable distance.

What is a good 3-pt hitch unroller that is reasonable in price and works well?
Some of my family bought this one and it works great. For the price, we we're really impressed with the quality. I know they have dealers all over the Midwest but we saved and ordered directly from them. $1,650 and it does 4'x5' and 5'x6' bales
https://haystix.com/product/round-bale-un-roller-4x5-5x6-hay-bales/
She's had it almost 2 years now and no issues or bad things to say

Some of my family bought this one and it works great. For the price, we we're really impressed with the quality. I know they have dealers all over the Midwest but we saved and ordered directly from them. $1,650 and it does 4'x5' and 5'x6' bales
https://haystix.com/product/round-bale-un-roller-4x5-5x6-hay-bales/
She's had it almost 2 years now and no issues or bad things to say
I have one very similar and use it with 75% of the hay i feed. Animals sure benefit from the hay being spread out.

I like how it has legs/feed for the arms for when not in use. I'm going to get a hernia getting mine hooked up.

Latest posts