The Snake Man

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
When I was finishing my master's research, I met one of the memorable people of my lifetime. It was the summer of 1973. My landlord, Elmer, was visiting. He looked at the field boxes that held snakes, lizards, turtles, etc. He said, "Ron, you should get the Snake Man to help you." I was writing my thesis on the herpetofauna of Upper Lick Fork. The area was soon to be flooded by a Corp of Engineers reservoir. The Reservoir today is known as Cave Run Reservoir, Morehead, KY.

I knocked on the door of the house trailer where the Snake Man lived. A tall thin old man opened the door. He must have been 50. He never spoke. He stared at me with cold blue eyes. I went first, "Elmer sent me." He said, "Elmer Gregory?" I said, "Yep." "Come in."

I stepped in. The place was stale and smelled of cigarettes and alcohol. The man's little fox terrier was sniffing my shoes. I looked down and the dog looked up. I said, "Elmer calls you the Snake Man." He said, "My name is Denzel." Denzel was the most devoted alcoholic I have ever known. He was never without a pint of whiskey. I assumed he paid his way on disability. He was a veteran. I noticed a deep depression on the left side of his head just above his forehead. He had taken a large rattlesnake to a local drive-up restaurant in a metal lard can, those old lard cans must have been 5 gallons. He dumped it in the parking area. It was alive. The owner called the Morehead Police. Denzel resisted arrest and was hit in the head with a baton. It crushed a large section of his cranium. He was hauled off to jail where he nearly bled to death before he was rushed to Lexington. They put a metal plate in his head. Denzel was proud of the metal plate. He would put his fingers on the spot and say, "I kin feel the blood beatin."

I paid Denzel $5 a day to help me find snakes. I picked him up each day. He had a funny way of lookin at ye. When he came to the door, I ask if he was ready. He would move his lips up and down twice like he was pantomiming the words he was about to speak. Then, he would quietly say "Yep." Denzel did not like early starts. The first place we went was the bootlegger. There was a trailer on Clack Mountain. You drive behind the trailer, a guy opened a window and slid you beer or whiskey. Rowan County was dry in those days. Denzel bought the cheapest whiskey, a pint for easy carry. He never took a drink that he did not first offer me one. Only rarely did I help him drink his whiskey. I can see his face in my head. Hair slicked back with grease. His partly closed cold blue eyes holding eye contact with mine. He never said anything, he just extended his arm with the bottle in his hand.

Denzel's dog was a snake hunter. We followed the little dog along the high sandstone cliffs of the deciduous woods along Upper Lick fork. The dog would engage every snake he found. The little dog would corner them against the back of the big overhanging rock ledges. I could walk in under the higher ledges. The huge timber rattlesnakes were a thrill. They struck at the dog but could not match his athleticism. I would move in with the pilstrom tongs, catch the snake and slip it in the sack. The dog's favorite snake was copperheads. The dog went into an old abandoned barn one time and before we were finished, I netted 13 copperheads. One of those was the biggest copperhead my major professor had ever seen. The snakes I caught were prepared for study. They were used in the herpetology classes. I took Denzel into Lappin Hall with me. I showed him how the specimens were prepared. He was never pressed for time and went to the lab with me at the end of the day. Sometimes it was dark when we got finished. On rare occasions, we stopped at Jerry's Restaurant and had dinner. His conversations were simple. He always started conversation with a pantomime.

I set jig lines along the river where Upper Lick Fork discharged into the Licking River. I caught a dozen different species of turtles but none interested Denzel until I caught a snapping turtle. He ask me if I had to turn it in. He wanted to cook it. He had a cast iron kettle that he put outside on a hot fire. I went home. The next day when I picked him up, I ate some of his turtle.

I often think about that old man. What was in his head? He had no ambitions other than hunting snakes, his dog and whiskey. He was a recluse. I never saw him associate with anyone. He never once said he had something else he needed to do!

TennesseeTuxedo":3kz5w68r said:
Sounds like quite a character thi "Snake Man". Well crafted tale as always Inyati, :tiphat: .

Where is Lappin Hall btw?

Lappin Hall is the Science and Mathematics building on the campus of Morehead State University. Where I spent 6 years of my life.

inyati13":cfg1abwc said:
TennesseeTuxedo":cfg1abwc said:
Sounds like quite a character thi "Snake Man". Well crafted tale as always Inyati, :tiphat: .

Where is Lappin Hall btw?

Lappin Hall is the Science and Mathematics building on the campus of Morehead State University. Where I spent 6 years of my life.

I wasn't sure if it UK or elsewhere.

That was a great story, I always feel like I'm there when you tell one. On the snake man, I'm always amazed at how some people can make it on their disability check.

I wonder the same thing Bigfoot. My neighbors are disabled unless it's time to go fishing, then they drive their brand new Chevrolet truck pulling a nice boat. Neither one has worked for 12 years that I know of, and their only 10 years younger than me.
Inyati, can definitely tell a story, I don't know if it's fiction or not most of the time.

inyati, When I read your stories I feel I know the real you. why not let the person you are in these stories be the person you are here. good story.

M5farm":2stcj331 said:
inyati, When I read your stories I feel I know the real you. why not let the person you are in these stories be the person you are here. good story.

Thanks, Daryl.

So you want me to be the "real" me? Someone made a remark that this is a "community" and insinuated that we all act like it. At times, I wonder if it is a Christian Garden Club.

A forum benefits from character. It benefits from diversity. We don't all want to be Greybeard. The guy with principles right as the rain. The guy as predictable as 5 o'clock shadow. If we all had GB's character, everyone would be reading Progressive Farmer rather than opening Cattle Today.

It does not matter who we are. The rules of the forum should provide enough of a boundary. Let's acknowledge that one user has no authority over another user's personal values and morals. If the rules of the forum are violated, let the moderators do their job. Otherwise, we should sell our cattle and move to a monastery, live like monks and pray all day.

I pray everyday, often multiple times a day.

Hope that doesn't get this thread locked.

I agree we need a multitude of personalities and perspectives to keep things lively and interesting around here. Just need to keep things civil and play within those boundaries.

my :2cents:

Ron, all I'm Saying is just be yourself and respect other peoples views just as you want people to respect yours. We all know when we cross the line, I am as guilty as anyone. we should all think and be mindful of what we say. I agree we need diversity and we can argue and disagree. we just all need to be aware that the audience is very diverse.

please tell more stories as that is your gift. I enjoy reading them.

M5farm":36mzpiol said:
Ron, all I'm Saying is just be yourself and respect other peoples views just as you want people to respect yours. We all know when we cross the line, I am as guilty as anyone. we should all think and be mindful of what we say. I agree we need diversity and we can argue and disagree. we just all need to be aware that the audience is very diverse.

please tell more stories as that is your gift. I enjoy reading them.

I agree. Well said. I need to rake though my head and come up with some more. The comments on the snake odors by Ken brought that one out.

BTW: High Grit, I do use writers privileges but this one is 100% true.

TennesseeTuxedo":z4p16k6j said:
I pray everyday, often multiple times a day.

Hope that doesn't get this thread locked.

I agree we need a multitude of personalities and perspectives to keep things lively and interesting around here. Just need to keep things civil and play within those boundaries.

my :2cents:
Sure would be nice if everyone would limit themselves to the use of only one of their personalities here anyway.

Deepsouth":125cs9es said:
wv mud river":125cs9es said:
nice story. I have been to cave run lake

Really! I thought he was making that part up.

Don't miss an opportunity to visit Cave Run Lake. It is deep in the hills of eastern KY. Not as deep as Harlan County but deep. The lake is known for Muskie.

You are indeed a master storyteller. I enjoyed "The Snake Man" very much. You are a gifted writer. Please share some more stories.

Williamsv":1rift9hb said:
You are indeed a master storyteller. I enjoyed "The Snake Man" very much. You are a gifted writer. Please share some more stories.
:nod:
Ron, this is your calling. Your stories remind me of some of the tales on Justified. You have a gift, and I always look forward to reading your stories...

Latest posts