The sale of your cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
This is a question for cow/calf operators. When you get your cattle to their weaning weight and sell them, were do most of of you sell your cattle. I am always hearing don't buy from an auction barn so why sell there if that is true?

We sell at the sale barn in lots of a dozen at a time or so, we buy from the sale barns occasionaly. But, only when I have time to look at them before they go in the ring. Then when we do get them home we tag, de-worm, all shots, preg test and keep them separate from the rest of our cattle for two weeks. At the end of the two weeks we allow them to get on the other side of the fence (electric) from the rest of the herd for a couple of days and then put 'em in with the rest. Hope this explains how we buy at the sale barn

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":25idz094 said:
The main reason I do private treaty and take only cash is its under the table money so to speak shhhhhhhhhh ;-) If you sale at the sale barn the taxes can kill you.

To say nothing of having to pay that pesky dollar to the check off. Or do you write a check and pay it once a year?

dun

Theres nothing wrong with selling through a sale barn auction, competitive bidding will get you top price. Your check is there soon after your cattle sell. Private treaty is OK too. can be a risk if you don't know the buyer. Buying at a salebarn is a gamble too, but not so much if you know what your doing. You need to know at a glance, what the health of the critter is, don't buy single bred cows or heifers. There are a lot of good critters sold at salebarns, if you know what your doing you can do well buying or selling.

mnmt

Central Fl Cracker":3qqfnc48 said:
This is a question for cow/calf operators. When you get your cattle to their weaning weight and sell them, were do most of of you sell your cattle. I am always hearing don't buy from an auction barn so why sell there if that is true?

Usually at the salebarn. We've also been known to buy calves at the salebarn, feed them over the winter and resell come spring. :shock:

msscamp":286v0xvq said:
Central Fl Cracker":286v0xvq said:

Usually at the salebarn. We've also been known to buy calves at the salebarn, feed them over the winter and resell come spring. :shock:

Say it aint so! *gasp*

Central Fl Cracker":1tszi1yi said:
I am always hearing don't buy from an auction barn so why sell there if that is true?
Fortunately for most of us, the cattle buyers that make their living buying cattle six days a week aren't as smart as the people here at Cattle Today with a handful of cows that tell you not to buy from the dirty, evil, contaminated salebarn.

Beefy":3lay38va said:
msscamp":3lay38va said:
Central Fl Cracker":3lay38va said:

Say it aint so! *gasp*

It's true. :oops: Does this mean my membership on these boards will be revoked? :eek:

what ever TTCLM says has to be true!!
he runs soooooo many head and is sooooo knowledgable that no on can doubt his words of wisdom
the load that i bought early this yr at the (SALEBARN) and run back thru this thursday made me money what the nasty salebarn stock YEP.
TTCLM i am sorry you have no confidence in your ability to judge stock buy buying at auction or selling at one. personally i like the competive bid

memanpa":2ng3jgx4 said:
personally i like the competive bid

Exactly!! We sell them there and we buy them there. Sometimes we will sell or buy private treaty if we are confident that the animals are bringing a competitive price.

I sell some private treaty but most through a board sale at the stockyard. The animals never enter the stockyard though.They are sold to buyers who prefer them to come straight from the farm.
The few that are poor quality are taken to the yard and sold there.

when ya sell feeders you take them to where the buyers are don't ya? whether the sale barn or a contract buyer that buys them in the pasture it is the money that tells me where to sell, we have soime good contract buyers and a scalehouse in town so I go with them usually but will not hesitate to haul to the salebarn if that is in my best interest

Maw, once again you disgust me. If the taxes are gonna kill ya, then there is something wrong with your management skills or lack of. Not to mention you reap the benifits of this great nation are try to get out of your share of the responsibility. jp

Texan":18itflx6 said:
Central Fl Cracker":18itflx6 said:
I am always hearing don't buy from an auction barn so why sell there if that is true?
Fortunately for most of us, the cattle buyers that make their living buying cattle six days a week aren't as smart as the people here at Cattle Today with a handful of cows that tell you not to buy from the dirty, evil, contaminated salebarn.

Amen to that. Selling at the sale is easy. Buying sale barn cattle can be a challenge in that most of calves sold there have a naive immune system. It is like sending your kid to school, he/she comes home sick because they have never been exposed to anything.

BC":2pxutvyu said:
Texan":2pxutvyu said:
Central Fl Cracker":2pxutvyu said:

Amen to that. Selling at the sale is easy. Buying sale barn cattle can be a challenge in that most of calves sold there have a naive immune system. It is like sending your kid to school, he/she comes home sick because they have never been exposed to anything.

Texan why do you want to go to telling these people salebarns are not evil? If they stay away my calfs bring more per pound from the feedlot buyers.

Salebarns are not evil just admit when you are not savy enough around cattle to buy them. Anything can be made to look good out of a feed bucket. I bet 90% of you look like you have been hit in the face with a wet possum at the salebarn when they start running cows through.

Latest posts