the plug

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus":1nm14qry said:
my cow lost her plug yesterday and mucus is draining about how long until she calves
An hour to a month, maybe longer

A cow will lose the biggest portion of her "plug" about 24 to 48 hours before calving. Dun was right when he said a month to 24 hrs.

The consistancy of the mucus she's passing is the key. If it's sticky and hangs without breaking it's just the cervical plug. If it's more runny and slick it's the lubricant. That usually means a day or less.

yea, maybe a month if you don't know what the plug actually looks like... :roll:

If it's the real thick sticky yellow stuff, I'd like to see her calving a few hours later, certainly within 24.

Having said that, (to the OP) don't worry till you actually see her straining then no progess for a few hours - or she gives you that pleading look.
Hmm... but they'll all give you that pleading look if they think you can save them from labour.

edit: crossposted, Dun, you'e exactly right.
I was wondering a bit there...
okay, edit again for reading comprehension. I think that's backwards. The thin runny stuff can show at any stage of late pregnancy. The actual plug is thick goop, it only appears once. I've never known a cow go more than 24 hours after, but then, I often don't see it either as the bag/waters generally follow pretty quickly.

regolith":1ej9x1ok said:
yea, maybe a month if you don't know what the plug actually looks like... :roll:

If it's the real thick sticky yellow stuff, I'd like to see her calving a few hours later, certainly within 24.

Having said that, (to the OP) don't worry till you actually see her straining then no progess for a few hours - or she gives you that pleading look.
Hmm... but they'll all give you that pleading look if they think you can save them from labour.

edit: crossposted, Dun, you'e exactly right.
I was wondering a bit there...
okay, edit again for reading comprehension. I think that's backwards. The thin runny stuff can show at any stage of late pregnancy. The actual plug is thick goop, it only appears once. I've never known a cow go more than 24 hours after, but then, I often don't see it either as the bag/waters generally follow pretty quickly.
I've seen them pass the plug a month or more before calving with nothing else till just before calving. The plug is sticky the birthing lubricant is runny and slick. Pretty well stands to reason that a lubricant with have lubricating propertys while the plug wouldn;t.

The cows that we have had penned up to calf really start cleaning them selves out prior to calving. If it seems like all she is doing is moving around and constantly (for lack of a better word) crapping, a little at a time, then she is close to calving, by that I mean in the next 24 hours.

ell going to check on her after breakfast...the drainage is clear like snot and not yellow its not hanging or anything..wesday night her tail was raised i thought she was going to have it but she pooped a little then tail still raised then pooped again and tail still raised but i left and the next day no calf or any other sighns well ill keep yall posted

went to check on her and get hay she had wut looked like a bugger on her vulva she is so big around and its not fat she may have twins but i just hope she haves it without any help

wow...... TMI guys! :eek:

My first thought was " a what???? you've seen a what??? :???:

I guess I don't spend enough time hovering around the backside of my girls.

I see a cow..... then the next day... I see two....

l_9351a57c42e3b1a57ed47c225a1cfc03.jpg

Latest posts