The Passing of a Legend

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
ProRodeo Hall of Fame cowboy Benny Reynolds, the all-around world champion in 1961 and the winner of the inaugural Linderman Award in 1966, died Feb. 14 of an apparent heart attack while loading hay on his ranch in Twin Bridges, Mont. He was 77.

Considered one of the most versatile athletes in the history of the cowboy sport, Reynolds competed mainly in bareback riding, bull riding and steer wrestling, but also dabbled in saddle bronc riding and team roping. It's estimated he accumulated more than 360 buckles in his 40-plus year career.

He was the PRCA's Rookie of the Year in 1958 and qualified for the National Finals Rodeo 11 times over a seven-year span, earning berths in multiple events in each of the NFR's first four years (1959-62)

"Benny was good, real good," former traveling partner Dan Stringari told the ProRodeo Sports News last October. "He'd enter everything he could and he would always seem to win at least one event everywhere. If you beat him in the bareback riding, he'd get you in the steer wrestling or team roping. They could never beat him in all the events; he was going to place in most events and win one."

"He was one of my heroes," said three-time World Champion Saddle Bronc Rider Shawn Davis. "I traveled with him for a while when I was starting out and we've been friends forever. He was one of the great ones."

Reynolds finally stopped competing in riding events in 1993 after he suffered a broken neck at the age of 57. He would go on to steer wrestle for another two or three years and continued to team rope and compete in Old Timer's rodeos until he was 71.

Reynolds still roped regularly and worked his 270-acre ranch, breaking away in December – every year from 1987 through last December – to work the arena gates at the Wrangler NFR in Las Vegas.

His love affair with the sport started when he was 6 in the tiny community of Melrose, Mont., and it never went away.

"I made more money at the Finals in the bareback riding, but I think I was best at steer wrestling," Reynolds told the PSN. When he won the 1961 all-around world title, Reynolds finished fifth in the world in both bareback riding and bulldogging.

"I also rode bulls and saddle broncs, but I was too long-legged for the saddle bronc riding and I would hit them in the leg instead of the shoulder and it didn't look good."

In a 1961 Newsweek story, Lex Connolly, then managing director of the Rodeo Cowboys Association, said, "Benny is like Paul Hornung of the Green Bay Packers; he isn't No. 1 in any of his events, but he's so good at all of them that he's the best overall."

Reynolds was listed among Montana's 50 Greatest Sports Figures of the 20th Century by Sports Illustrated.

He is survived by his three children, son, Rooster; daughter, Jenny; and son, Louis John, all of whom live near the family ranch. Oldest son, Rooster – the 1995 NFR steer wrestling average champion –was working with his father when he died.

So sad to hear-Truly a fine gentleman... When I was in college I rodeoed with his younger half brother, DJ - and got the chance to travel with and visit Benny on several occasions when we were traveling in western Montana... We used some of his dogging horses in college... Always had that big grin! I always looked up to him as a hero... He was a real cowboy- not just an areana cowboy....A true legend to the sport of rodeo and the state of Montana..... RIP...

An example of what a hero should be. Now it's Justin Beiber.
Now a question OT. I don't keep up with rodeo at all anymore, but when I was younger I did because most of my friends rodeo'd. This Benny Reynolds name, and then the picture jarred a memory loose. Did something big happen in Montana involving him in 1989? I spent some time out west that spring/summer and most in Montana. I seem to recall that name for some reason

Ouachita":rzlf6v64 said:
Now a question OT. I don't keep up with rodeo at all anymore, but when I was younger I did because most of my friends rodeo'd. This Benny Reynolds name, and then the picture jarred a memory loose. Did something big happen in Montana involving him in 1989? I spent some time out west that spring/summer and most in Montana. I seem to recall that name for some reason

The only thing that pops to mind right off was that 1989 was Montana's centennial year-- and part of our centennial celebration was a cattle drive from Roundup to Billings... And part of the festivities was the Oldtimers National Finals Rodeo that was held in Roundup MT... Benny was one of the cowboys that participated in that.. I was there because my son (age 8 at the time) had qualified for the Montana State Junior Rodeo Finals in the bullriding...
I believe again- Benny took home some buckles/saddles and they had several write-ups about his competing/winning in the bronc and bull riding at nearly 60 years of age...
Just about a month ago he was one of the first inductees into Montana's new Cowboy Hall of Fame....

Sorry to see this. I only met Benny a couple times but I always remember him with that big grim. One of those truly nice guys in rodeo.

OT, on a side note a guy walked into my office on Thursday. We got to talking and I found out that he roped calves for a couple years at Northern Montana College. I think he said '65 & '66. By my faulty math that would have been just before you were there but I may be wrong. His last name is McAulty (sp). Was raised in Malta. Said his brother is still on the ranch.

Oldtimer":37nr2410 said:
Ouachita":37nr2410 said:

The only thing that pops to mind right off was that 1989 was Montana's centennial year-- and part of our centennial celebration was a cattle drive from Roundup to Billings... And part of the festivities was the Oldtimers National Finals Rodeo that was held in Roundup MT... Benny was one of the cowboys that participated in that.. I was there because my son (age 8 at the time) had qualified for the Montana State Junior Rodeo Finals in the bullriding...
I believe again- Benny took home some buckles/saddles and they had several write-ups about his competing/winning in the bronc and bull riding at nearly 60 years of age...
Just about a month ago he was one of the first inductees into Montana's new Cowboy Hall of Fame....

That's it. Now I remember it being the centennial celebration. There was a lot of activities going on everywhere we went. We did not attend a rodeo while there, but I'm certain I either heard his name or had seen his picture somewhere, more than once. We had ambitions of getting deep in to the Bob Marshall, but that didn't work out. We also tried to visit Yellowstone because we wanted to see it after the 88' fires. It was closed. We were there from early April until early May.

Dave":ivafawy1 said:
Sorry to see this. I only met Benny a couple times but I always remember him with that big grim. One of those truly nice guys in rodeo.

OT, on a side note a guy walked into my office on Thursday. We got to talking and I found out that he roped calves for a couple years at Northern Montana College. I think he said '65 & '66. By my faulty math that would have been just before you were there but I may be wrong. His last name is McAulty (sp). Was raised in Malta. Said his brother is still on the ranch.

Name does not ring a bell- but like you said that is a couple of years before I got there.. I believe there are some McNulty's in the Malta area... Coincidentally I was in Malta last night to watch my beautiful 6 foot tall blonde granddaughter play basketball... I will probably be back there this next weekend for tournaments- and may find out more...

Yep you are right about Benny--once you met him he always knew you.. I always thought of him as Montana's version of John Wayne... I remember him when he was on tv in 1961 after he won the all around being interviewed- he impressed the nation with his yep and nope answers- with that big grin... He had two brothers that he and many others said could probably have won more than he did if they had competed harder... But they were just old time cowboys- rodeoed for fun - win some and maybe stay partying in that town for the next week... His brother John was the pickup man at some of the college and RCA rodeos we attended in Idaho and Washington... He picked up for Big Bend rodeo along with several other companies over the years...

I saw him rodeo in Franklinton, La. one time and he was one good cowboy. I guess he would have been about 19 at the time.
It was remarked that he won everything but the barrel racing, and would probably have won that if they had let him enter.
He was a sight to behold.

Oldtimer":znj824xh said:
Dave":znj824xh said:

Name does not ring a bell- but like you said that is a couple of years before I got there.. I believe there are some McNulty's in the Malta area... Coincidentally I was in Malta last night to watch my beautiful 6 foot tall blonde granddaughter play basketball... I will probably be back there this next weekend for tournaments- and may find out more...

Yep you are right about Benny--once you met him he always knew you.. I always thought of him as Montana's version of John Wayne... I remember him when he was on tv in 1961 after he won the all around being interviewed- he impressed the nation with his yep and nope answers- with that big grin... He had two brothers that he and many others said could probably have won more than he did if they had competed harder... But they were just old time cowboys- rodeoed for fun - win some and maybe stay partying in that town for the next week... His brother John was the pickup man at some of the college and RCA rodeos we attended in Idaho and Washington... He picked up for Big Bend rodeo along with several other companies over the years...

Yep. I knew John. Now there was one tough son of a gun. I haven't heard anything about him now for some years. I believe that he was older than Benny. Know John's son Huey. He is a pretty good cowboy. I don't recall him ever riding rough stock but he darn sure could rope.