The only problem with using a Hereford bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

It's not so much being able to tell the difference its that its hard to tell the feedlot your sending a bunch of spotted calves without them thinking there will be some LH cross on them since LH cross can have so many color patterns.

Supa Dexta":2g550ize said:
You're just cheating the market though, and that doesn't get you far... for very long. Once a guy gets burned once feeding those out, he won't do it again. Especially if your name is attached to your cattle - And I feel a guy should stand behind his name and his animals.
Apparantly for some producers misrepresentation/dishonesty is OK. LH crossed with actual beef breeds really brings the term "caveat emptor" to it's full meaning. The concept of selling them light before the LH starts to show is exactly the type of stuff that gives salebarns a bad name for selling junk. It isn;t the only cause, but it sure doesn;t help the honest producer that happens to have chrome on their calves.

dun":xwl7o21s said:
Supa Dexta":xwl7o21s said:
You're just cheating the market though, and that doesn't get you far... for very long. Once a guy gets burned once feeding those out, he won't do it again. Especially if your name is attached to your cattle - And I feel a guy should stand behind his name and his animals.
Apparantly for some producers misrepresentation/dishonesty is OK. LH crossed with actual beef breeds really brings the term "caveat emptor" to it's full meaning. The concept of selling them light before the LH starts to show is exactly the type of stuff that gives salebarns a bad name for selling junk. It isn;t the only cause, but it sure doesn;t help the honest producer that happens to have chrome on their calves.

And that REALLY makes a lot of sense dun. Guilty by association so to speak. Buyers get burned by some light wt LH cross, and doesnt take long to say to heck with anything that has chrome. I can see that.

dun":1dq9hwfg said:
Supa Dexta":1dq9hwfg said:

I'll agree with the fact that the possibility of LH ruining the market for other breeds of chromed up cattle . The only way to really get good money out of your colored up calves is to take them to 700+ and preferably 800+ when they really can no longer hide the longhorn.

I would not say that selling a longhorn without announcing it is a longhorn is necessarily dishonest. It may not give you the best name as a producer but a cattle buyer gets paid to see the difference between quality calves and LH cross calves even when people try to sneak them in and most good ones do. If you make mistakes like that you won't last long as a buyer.

Ojp6":sq8lqwvu said:
dun":sq8lqwvu said:
Supa Dexta":sq8lqwvu said:

I'll agree with the fact that the possibility of LH ruining the market for other breeds of chromed up cattle . The only way to really get good money out of your colored up calves is to take them to 700+ and preferably 800+ when they really can no longer hide the longhorn.

I would not say that selling a longhorn without announcing it is a longhorn is necessarily dishonest. It may not give you the best name as a producer but a cattle buyer gets paid to see the difference between quality calves and LH cross calves even when people try to sneak them in and most good ones do. If you make mistakes like that you won't last long as a buyer.
Yeah but that means you have to hold on these chromed calves for a while and investing in more feed and pens. Even if they're over 700lbs, there's no guarantee that you're safe from the dock with these chromed calves.

Ojp6":7ksm5mvq said:
I'm not concerned about the order buyers. It's the small time or wanting a steer for the freezer folks that bothers me. If selling them light before the lh shows and selling them then for that reason is dishonest. That's just my old fashioned sense of right and wrong If they aren;t trying to hide the lh why would they sell them light? Since they are supposed to be such a great niche market, why not sell them from home? I'll answer that! Because they won;t get squat for them in most cases unless you get someone that is expressly looking for them.
I'm just and old phart that has lost out on selling some cattle because I believe in giving the prospective buyer all the information I have. It may make me a poor businessman but repeat buyers indicates to me that it's the proper thing to do.

dun":3ff9z544 said:
Ojp6":3ff9z544 said:
I'm not concerned about the order buyers. It's the small time or wanting a steer for the freezer folks that bothers me. If selling them light before the lh shows and selling them then for that reason is dishonest. That's just my old fashioned sense of right and wrong If they aren;t trying to hide the lh why would they sell them light? Since they are supposed to be such a great niche market, why not sell them from home? I'll answer that! Because they won;t get squat for them in most cases unless you get someone that is expressly looking for them.
I'm just and old phart that has lost out on selling some cattle because I believe in giving the prospective buyer all the information I have. It may make me a poor businessman but repeat buyers indicates to me that it's the proper thing to do.

dun I don't think being a honest salesman makes you a old phart or poor businessman... You don't want to be a one hit wonder you want to have a good name forever and SLEEP WELL at night.

Yall guys sure are talking bad about Longhorns that wasn't even what my question was about....it was about chrome but anyways lol. Our Longhorn crosses are selling just like we thought they would so far. Getting $900-$1000 for them and we are perfectly happy with that and we have barely gotten going with our Charolais Bulls....some are bringing $1100 so they are doing really well. We are keeping the half breeds that will raise the big premium calf as well. Yall may bad mouth Longhorns but they are a way to start making money and continue making money for a long time....chrome or no chrome.....we are about 50/50 chrome and no chrome I believe.

dun":rfad4jpc said:
Ojp6":rfad4jpc said:

I'll just agree with everything. Selling them light to hide the LH isn't right. I've heard as much BS about the longhorn off the farm market as anyone and in my opinion the only way to market a LH is as a roping steer. All that freezer beef stuff is usually BS.

You sound like the type of seller anyone would like to buy from and there is something to be said about that. I would agree that honestly when you sell is the best policy.

All I was saying in that last post is that it is not entirely the responsibility of the seller to announce that his cattle are LH cross in the sale barn.

Around here the first thing that pops in the buyers head when he sees spots is not necessarily LH, but Holstein, lot's of Holstein bottle calves get fed out around here, some of them bred to one another to put another body on the trailer. Spotted up calf could be Simm or SH, but it could also be LH or Holstein. Latter two is a money losing proposition to a feedlot.

Feedlot can't be much different than a cow calf operation, solid black one jumps the cattle guard or weans a small calf she doesn't stick in my mind, let a marked up one do it and I have my eye on her from then on. Lot operator sees a spotted calf not doing good, he will have it in for spotted calves from then on. Standing out is not always a good thing, ask somebody that's been in the service. Good buddy of mine was pretty tall, said it was a good way to get picked didn't matter if they were digging latrines or peeling potatoes.

Ojp6":h30g30bv said:
All I was saying in that last post is that it is not entirely the responsibility of the seller to announce that his cattle are LH cross in the sale barn.
I agree, that is why so much junk gets sold through salebarns. It's a ready market for unwanted animals. Unwanted but not no good either. They leave one place for a reason, other then becuse they;re selling out the animal is unwanted for some reason. Didn;t grow as fast, calved outside the acceptable calving window, doesn;t fit in for one reason or another.

dun":3vm4n6rn said:
Ojp6":3vm4n6rn said:
I agree, that is why so much junk gets sold through salebarns. It's a ready market for unwanted animals. Unwanted but not no good either. They leave one place for a reason, other then becuse they;re selling out the animal is unwanted for some reason. Didn;t grow as fast, calved outside the acceptable calving window, doesn;t fit in for one reason or another.

I'm not going to get into the quality of salebarn cattle. I've bought a pile of really nice stock cows and feeder calves out of the sale barns and buy at them nearly every day. I'll just say that the sale barn is not a place for someone who is scared to make a bad decision every once in a while. If you buy enough cattle out of the barns your gonna find some problem cattle but you can also get some really good ones.

I apologize if I offended anyone here that was not my intention. If you are happy with your herd and are making money then I don't see a problem.

That's the thing about this business....we can talk good about this breed or bad about this breed but it all boils down to making money. As long as you can survive and make the money you need it doesn't matter what you run. It's all beef in the end lol.

Big Cheese":v3kmuhzv said:
That's the thing about this business....we can talk good about this breed or bad about this breed but it all boils down to making money. As long as you can survive and make the money you need it doesn't matter what you run. It's all beef in the end lol.

Your profiting off other folks cattle with your cattle. It looks like it might work out for you, timing is everything. But I won't run a business or my life on deception. Making money is not the only thing in life, you need to be able to look in the mirror and be proud of your accomplishments in life. When it comes right down to it a man has his word, and as you age you'll see this is true.
And all beef is not created equal.

Making money dishonest or not, Shorthorn and Simmental breeders would probably benefit if longhorns stayed on the hobby farm and the roping pen. You have to look at it as the industry as a whole, if you are part of it, then you shouldn't want to do anything to hurt it. Having LH and covering it up with other breeds doesn't do the industry any favors. If you like them, why not breed them straight and sell them to other people that like them? Right now is not the time in the cattle business to gauge how successful your business model is. You could sell one eyed purple cows right now and do good. If you could only afford LH to get started, that's fine, shouldn't be a long term goal.

Highgrit explain to me how BC is profiting from other peoples cattle? If Big Cheese is fooling anyone buying those Longhorn cross calves at the salebarn they don't need to be buying cattle.

Red Bull Breeder":1zebrizs said:
Highgrit explain to me how BC is profiting from other peoples cattle? If Big Cheese is fooling anyone buying those Longhorn cross calves at the salebarn they don't need to be buying cattle.

People, isn't making a profit from cattle the motive for what all of us are seeking to do here :???: :???: :???: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Of course to do that you must constantly strive to produce a uniform and superior product that the next guy down the line wants. That goes for the producer, the feeder, the packer, the retailer, and ulimately the consumer :idea: THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT, as it were.

The guy who sell me bulls or other breeding stock certainly wants me to make a profit with his animals, so I will be a repeat customer and come back again to buy more next time I'm in the market.

Likewise, I hope the guy who buys the calves I produce makes money on them, so he will come back next year and bid on them again :2cents:

Latest posts