The only problem with using a Hereford bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
20150525_091339_zps8hessdj0.jpg
[/url]

Our Hereford bull is marking his calves up to good. All the cows that have had red calves have Simenthal blood in them. But when we had a Angus or Simenthal bull, we never had a red calf. I guess homozygous and heterogeneous play a big part in bull selection. I've never worried about either, and now it's going to cost us a few nickels at the sale barn.

Caustic Burno":38lqbmua said:
Red Bull Breeder":38lqbmua said:
The problem is not the bull, the cows are what is letting the cat out of the bag. You knew the bull was red when you bought him.

Yep as cows are carrying the red recessive gene.
Also the spotting gene (tradtional Simmenthal) from at least one cow.

That's why I mentioned Simenthal blood. I'm not whining at all about the bull. Matter of fact he's probably throwing the nicest calves we've ever had on average. I'm just a little puzzled that our Simi bull didn't throw any red calves, yet passed the gene on.

I think you'll be fine with the calves. The dock won't makes you go broke with the current calf prices.

Was your Simmental bull red, highgrit?
If not, he might have been homo black - or, even if hetero black, the chance of him throwing red calves would be (statistically) half that of the Hereford bull.
There are solid black, homozygous black Simmental sires out there that are known carriers of the spotting gene(like GW Lucky Man 644N).

I have at least one cow family in my herd that's carrying on the spot gene from some old-style Simmental sires I used back in the 1980s; they're solid black cows (some with some chrome on the underline), but when bred to solid red Shorthorns, I've gotten some spotted-up calves - but none as flowery as that last one you showed!

Muddy":1xwhvelk said:
I think you'll be fine with the calves. The dock won't makes you go broke with the current calf prices.

+1. A little chrome shouldn't hurt much. If you have feed and can afford to keep the calves over and make yearlings out of them, yearling buyers usually dont discriminate as much about color as calf buyers do :idea:

dun":14r9kxdo said:
Caustic Burno":14r9kxdo said:
Red Bull Breeder":14r9kxdo said:
The problem is not the bull, the cows are what is letting the cat out of the bag. You knew the bull was red when you bought him.

Yep as cows are carrying the red recessive gene.
Also the spotting gene (tradtional Simmenthal) from at least one cow.

I might expect the color scheme on calves from those blaze faced cows will get a little wild :p Darn good calves regardless, and I'd be proud to own 'em ;-) :tiphat:

the calves your getting from the bull and cows look great.to me theres alot of keeper heifers if you want to keep them.

bigbull338":3ecf7wb3 said:
the calves your getting from the bull and cows look great.to me theres alot of keeper heifers if you want to keep them.

That's what I was thinking as well. That red baldy in the second picture would sure make a pretty cow.

bigbull338":oxabsmvu said:

I agree! The red heifers look thick for their age, and that spotted one is pretty cute!

The ones that will get you the biggest dock in your market go in your freezer and the freezers of your friends and family.

It ain't rocket surgery

I myself wouldn't have a problem paying top market dollar for those red calves the third one does just have too much chrome for me. A spotting gene came out strong there.

Hetero red to homo red will get red approximately 50% of the time. You know which cows are definitely hetero red now. You also know that at least one cow and the bull she was bred to was hetero spotted. It is not rocket surgery, that's for sure, just basic laws of genetics.

I want to ask this question since we are kinda on the topic and I've been wondering this since I got in the Longhorn business. Why does the calves with the chrome and are spotted get marked off? If they are good calves and are growing good what does it matter how they look. Is it just because people think they have Longhorn in them and don't want them? Just a question I wanted to ask...figured it would make a good discussion.

Big Cheese":3vsrek47 said:
I want to ask this question since we are kinda on the topic and I've been wondering this since I got in the Longhorn business. Why does the calves with the chrome and are spotted get marked off? If they are good calves and are growing good what does it matter how they look. Is it just because people think they have Longhorn in them and don't want them? Just a question I wanted to ask...figured it would make a good discussion.

That and the fact that they may only be a month old and already have horns says "Longhorn".

BC, just my opinion here, and I'm speculating: it's a business. Period. In your neck of the woods, LH is a very real possibility, so the buyers may consider that and discount, based on that. Up here, LH influence is not a real issue. Nevertheless, any chrome will get you docked at the barn. Again, it's a business, the buyers have the final vote, if they can find a reason to get a quality animal for less, they will that's just smart business. Most bang for your buck. So finding reasons to discount, is in their best business interest. Analogy: you want to buy a new truck. Dealer has every feature you desire (1 ton, quad cab , 4x4, etc) only "problem" is, you wanted silver and all they have in stock is white. Are you going to pay full asking price or negotiate? Shrewd business man negotiates. These fellas know their business inside and out. Won't beat them at it. There are options though.

Latest posts