The New Simmental/Red Angus Association

Help Support CattleToday:

JustSimmental

Reaction score
As I expected the Red Angus and Simmental Association is one --working off the same base of EPD's. Meanwhile, the Black Angus Association is not to happy with this merger, but they had an opportunity to join, but have evidently declined, so far. It has been a long time coming, but definitely worth the wait.

The Black Angus Association is still working off the 1972 data base, which doesn't mean a lot when we consider the huge amount of genetic change in Black Angus and really all beef breeds since that time.

As we (should) know Black Angus is weak in WW, YW, MWW, YG, BF and REA. The new numbers also show a decline in CE, MCE and BW, which was the AAA's claim to fame for many decades-- This is OVER.

Black Angus has taken for granted their calving ease, birth weight, and IMF, but PB Simmental cattle have caught up and in most cases surpassed Black Angus in all EPD's of economic importance except Marbling/IMF. I believe that breeding decisions within Black Angus has been the root of their decline over many years and that it won't be long (couple years) until many of the high end PB Simmental will surpass even Marbling, with the average Simmental surpassing even Black Angus in the next 3-5 years.

As a PB Simmental Producer, I welcome the Red Angus Breeders to Simmental. The red cattle are becoming popular again and seem to be in high demand. We always maintained our red cattle, which were Red non-diluters, which would produce black calves. Several years ago, when we felt there was an increase in the interest in red and we began breeding more red cattle. Interesting that the 2011 crop of Red PB and S/A bulls sold before the black bulls did.

Again welcome to Simmental.

JS

Thank you for reminding us all once again just how full of :bs: :bs: you are!

Why in the world would the AAA want to merge with you just to give you some legitimacy. You need them they sure as he[[ don't need you!

BTW this is a statement NOT the beginning of a conversation!

The 2 associations did not merge nor are they 1. They still have 2 offices, 2 associations, 2 different boards controlling the decisions. All that has happened is they now joined data bases and run EPD's together, to make a more accurate EPD since the Simmental's use alot of teh Red Angus sires, it only make sense. They also do some advertising and marketing together.

JScattle,

Have you even seen a MARC report the black Angus cow has caught/passed the continentals on WW, YW, while still maintaining a huge edge in IMF over them. Yeah and everyone is asking for a simmental bull to breed their heifers too.. :dunce:

And BTW the AAA joining the simmental assoc would be like the USA joining cuba. Really, why would they need to. The AAA runs EPDs for other associations, you want them to just throw the database and computing power in the dumpster. You are a piece of work. Sorry BRG but you can have him. :tiphat:

Thats correct and as I said >>> line 1 >> As I expected the Red Angus and Simmental Association is one --""working off the same base of EPD's.""

Many time folks jump to conclusions and don't finish the sentence which was working off the same base of EPD's

I know we will have some pooched mouthed BA breeders like the first 2 comments, but that's fine.. many times people that lack understanding talk bad about things and it is to be expected.

have a nice day

JS

JustSimmental":sglnapp7 said:
Thats correct and as I said >>> line 1 >> As I expected the Red Angus and Simmental Association is one --""working off the same base of EPD's.""

Many time folks jump to conclusions and don't finish the sentence which was working off the same base of EPD's

I know we will have some pooched mouthed BA breeders like the first 2 comments, but that's fine.. many times people that lack understanding talk bad about things and it is to be expected.

have a nice day

JS

The only actually funny thing you have ever said :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: and I am not even an Angus breeder. Just a fella who thinks you are full of :bs:

3waycross":1s71z836 said:
Thank you for reminding us all once again just how full of :bs: :bs: you are!

:clap: :clap: standing O from this Angus breeder :) really nothing to add is there?

JustSimmental":39efr3w1 said:
As I expected the Red Angus and Simmental Association is one --working off the same base of EPD's. Meanwhile, the Black Angus Association is not to happy with this merger...

As a PB Simmental Producer, I welcome the Red Angus Breeders to Simmental. ...

JS

To echo BRG's response the two associations have not merged. Utilizing the same computer program/s does not make the associations the same. It just makes the cost of the software less expensive for BOTH associations. If there is more to it than that someone please bring me up to speed.
--Dwight Elmore, RAAA member

P.S. (JS, what is your real name? I believe there are a few on this board that would appreciate knowing.)

JustSimmental":h03dfpqj said:

have a nice day

JS
They may lack understanding but they dam sure pegged your pompous ass very early on. Comprende??

You say that simmi EPD's have gone past black angus but are they actually directly comparable across breeds? They're not in Australia.
Umm and what of the fact that black and red simmi cattle look more like angus than PB simmi cattle because they have used ANGUS genetics to fix ANGUS traits to black and red simmi?

I have Angus and Charolais registered cows as well as commercial cattle so I really don't have a dog in the fight except whatever breed will make me money in that particular situation... That being said, marbling is HUGE and it belongs overall (at least based on breed average) to Angus cattle.
We're also making the assumption that higher weaning weights and yearling growth are always a good thing. An angus type momma or brangus that weighs a thousand pounds and weans a lighter calf on nothing is a whole lot more profitable than a simangus cow that weans a big calf but takes more feed to do it. If I can run one hundred and twenty angus cows or an even hundred sim\simangus cows I'll take that lighter weaning weight plus a premium for marbling every time. :D Especially when you take into consideration that sims are only around twenty-five pounds heavier at weaning than angus according to across breed epd adjustments.

JustSimmental":12bw5f09 said:
As I expected the Red Angus and Simmental Association is one --working off the same base of EPD's. Meanwhile, the Black Angus Association is not to happy with this merger, but they had an opportunity to join, but have evidently declined, so far. It has been a long time coming, but definitely worth the wait.

The Black Angus Association is still working off the 1972 data base, which doesn't mean a lot when we consider the huge amount of genetic change in Black Angus and really all beef breeds since that time.

As we (should) know Black Angus is weak in WW, YW, MWW, YG, BF and REA. The new numbers also show a decline in CE, MCE and BW, which was the AAA's claim to fame for many decades-- This is OVER.

Black Angus has taken for granted their calving ease, birth weight, and IMF, but PB Simmental cattle have caught up and in most cases surpassed Black Angus in all EPD's of economic importance except Marbling/IMF. I believe that breeding decisions within Black Angus has been the root of their decline over many years and that it won't be long (couple years) until many of the high end PB Simmental will surpass even Marbling, with the average Simmental surpassing even Black Angus in the next 3-5 years.

As a PB Simmental Producer, I welcome the Red Angus Breeders to Simmental. The red cattle are becoming popular again and seem to be in high demand. We always maintained our red cattle, which were Red non-diluters, which would produce black calves. Several years ago, when we felt there was an increase in the interest in red and we began breeding more red cattle. Interesting that the 2011 crop of Red PB and S/A bulls sold before the black bulls did.

JS

Boy howdy,Ill bet if Frankie is reading this she is having a wall-eyed-fit. :lol: :lol:

Cal

Calman":3drpjgea said:
JustSimmental":3drpjgea said:

JS

Boy howdy,Ill bet if Frankie is reading this she is having a wall-eyed-fit. :lol: :lol:

Cal

Now THAT would be an entertaining discussion. :lol2:

One thing you could make a sure bet on Van, she would argue until she started loosing ground and then she would lock it down. :nod: :nod:

Cal

? forJ S if you hate BA so much why are you using the 701T bull (from a earlier post)He is a BA son of Predestined why not stay with the Simmis if there so great. And i have both so im not on either side, but if i disliked BA as much as you seem to id stay away from them.

I thought several associations were planning on running their epd's together. Anyone hear anything like that? Not sure where I got that information.
CSM

CSM":z02k475q said:
I thought several associations were planning on running their epd's together. Anyone hear anything like that? Not sure where I got that information.
CSM
It started out with several of them pooling EPDs then it was only Red Angus Simmenthal and Brangus then Brangus fell out a couple of years ago.