The moon causing this

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
Went to a small auction they have Thursday evenings -
Real amusing place - They sell chickens, ducks etc alot of goats and usualy the junk the salebarn owner drags from other sale barns.
When I was leaving there was a bunch of people by the loading chute with a mini-van backed up to it.
Another clown taking goats home in a mini-van right - wrong.

Two guys had a 500 lb calve down on the ground and were tying its legs together to put in the van.
Now this was good action.
Got him tied - almost ooops he just jumped up -
round two of wrestle match
Got him tied - etc etc
This went on for awhile as everyone shook their heads in amazment.

Well they finally got him tied - put in back of a mini-van -
back almost dragging the (van was a real peach) ground
and drove off.
Wondered all night how the rest of that journey ended.

The moon was big - don't know if it was full but having the same effect.

This is where the term Lunatic came from.

I saw a fellow with some goats in the back of his car once. I think I saw someone with a miniature horse in the back seat, too. I don't want to believe what my eyes saw and I have been denying it ever since.

I am always amazed at the things people will haul goats around in. Never saw a calf, though.

Lammie":2eioipxz said:
This is where the term Lunatic came from.

I saw a fellow with some goats in the back of his car once. I think I saw someone with a miniature horse in the back seat, too. I don't want to believe what my eyes saw and I have been denying it ever since.

I am always amazed at the things people will haul goats around in. Never saw a calf, though.

Not long ago I was over in China and we passed a small crew cab datsun like pickup with a large draft mule in the back. The tailgate was down and it's hind feet were right at the rear edge. It's chest was pressed tight against the rear of the cab and it had a lead rope going from it's halter around the cab and through the front passenger window where a guy was holding on to it. They were driving down a 4 lane interstate. That little truck was squatting down until the springs bottomed out.

About 2 years ago I was waiting in line to pick up some calves I bought at the sale. There was a Geo Tracker in front of me. I watched as 2 baby calves were loaded into the back of the Tracker.

Nobody is gonna tell me those folks didn't have a nasty, stinky mess to clean up when they got home.

Alice

We used to sell dairy calves all the time to people in cars.

Put 'em in a burlap feed sack, tie it up around the calves neck, and throw them in the back seat or trunk. Gone! :lol:

MikeC":37l90cb9 said:

Put 'em in a burlap feed sack, tie it up around the calves neck, and throw them in the back seat or trunk. Gone! :lol:

My husband actually suggested that once. We bought a couple of little old bottle babies at the sale barn and he thought we should put them in the back of the truck.

I don't think so, Scooter. I could just read the headlines. "Calf flies out of back of pick-up injuring several. PETA files suit. Film at 11:00."

Alice, I can't imagine some little old scouring calf in the back of a car. Yuck. They smell bad enough in a barn.

MikeC":3b9upgrm said:

We took many a Holstein bull calf to the sale barn that way. Worked just fine, but it was only about a 15 min trip. Not sure I'd want to try it on a long trip.

At Wed. auction while I was waiting to unload, this car came up, opened the trunk. The guy picked up this calf [dairy I think] out of the trunk and carried it toward the unloading areas.

Well so what I think :frowns: :frowns:

Then a lady from out of nowhere grabs his arm, stops him in his tracks :stop: Short conversation :?

The guy does an about face :???: Follows the lady to her Mini Van :?:

Sort of different I think. :roll: :nod:

i think dun used to take goats for rides in the car...
i would but i dont have any goats, yet.

Beefy":3jg52yny said:

Yup, pull out the sitting part and stuff in the goats. I once hauled a pig and a Brown Swiss calf in the back of my wifes station wagon. Sure got some strange looks driving through town

Horticattleman":1y74hrsf said:
I once saw 2 idiots put 13 goats in a Jeep Grand Cherokee at the sale barn. Not tied up either.

Am now cleaning up spewed coffee from monitor.

dun":23h0zssk said:
Beefy":23h0zssk said:

Yup, pull out the sitting part and stuff in the goats. I once hauled a pig and a Brown Swiss calf in the back of my wifes station wagon. Sure got some strange looks driving through town

You do this for fun? Like summer camp for the goats? Take 'em to a movie or something? :shock:

Lammie":hxx9mj2f said:
dun":hxx9mj2f said:
Beefy":hxx9mj2f said:

You do this for fun? Like summer camp for the goats? Take 'em to a movie or something? :shock:

Just happened to swing by the sale barn in the wifes stationwagon and couldn;t resist the pig and calf.

My dad tells of three young men in the 1930's stuffing a calf into a Model A Ford and hauling said calf to Bourbon Stockyards in Louisville. The boys appearance was so suspicious that the police were called and the boys were arrested.
The newspaper account said the Model A bore the marks of a "titanic struggle".

I hauled a calf with its backend in a bag, in the front of the pick-up with me. Durn thing reached up with his nose and opened the door. Slid right on out the door. :oops: :oops: My son was pulled over by the State Police for going through a stop sign. He had a calf in the truck with him, the calf reached its head up on the dash. When the shocked officer stopped laughing he just said "have a good day" and let him go. :lol: :lol:

I USED TO RUN A HEINOLD HOG MKT. YOU WOULDNT BELEIVE HOW SOME PEOPLE GOT HOGS TO MARKET.
HAD SOME GUYS BRING SOME ONCE IN A U-HAUL TRUCK THEY HAD RENTED , ANOTHER TIME A OLD GUY DROVE A TRACTOR ( NO CAB )ABOUT 25 MILES WITH A TRAILER IN MID WINTER.
CANT EVEN REMEBER ALL THE STRANGE THINGS. EVEN HAD 3 GUYS THAT USED CONVERTED SCHOOL BUSES ALTHOUGH THESE WORKED WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE PEOPLE STARING DRIVING BY ON RT 40 :cboy:

Had three boer goat I had to move a few miles because of flooding and the only thing I had available was a cherokee. Also hauled 5 grown turkeys to a fair in high school in the back of the jeep cherokee. Had to go about 20 miles. Had the back section walled off and used pastic trsh bags and duct tape to line the walls. It was a mess but gotta do what you gotta do.

This reminds me of our county fair a couple of years ago, I just got my cattle put away (right next to the llama's) and a old worn out mid sized van came around the corner, all windows very dark tinted. I thought oh somebody dropping off some feed or somthing....wrong....open the side door and pull out two full sized llamas, they had to hunch down in the van while riding, couldnt believe it :roll:

Latest posts