The latest silly law suit

Help Support CattleToday:

First of all, if this guy's still got sweetcorn in the field in early September in Zone 6 in the middle of a severe drought, he's not what I'd call a farmer. He's what I'd call an idiot. Plain and simple..

Second of all, birds typically invade sweetcorn to get at the worms and sap beetles that have already invaded the sweetcorn and opened the top of the shuck a little bit.. While the birds are there eating the bugs, they figure out that it's pretty OK to eat the kernels too. If there weren't bugs at the top of the ears, the birds probably wouldn't bother.. So, why bother scaring the birds away from the crappy, bug infested sweetcorn you probably can't even sell anyway? I mean, are we really talking about buggy sweetcorn?

Or...

Does this farmer perhaps have an axe to grind?

It's worth mentioning that it would be really, really easy for any of your own neighbors to set up a propane cannon "for their sweet corn" when the real reason is to keep your calves stressed, scared, and moving instead of calm, grazing, and gaining..

Think about it..

cmjust0":331ipbk5 said:
First of all, if this guy's still got sweetcorn in the field in early September in Zone 6 in the middle of a severe drought, he's not what I'd call a farmer. He's what I'd call an idiot. Plain and simple..

Second of all, birds typically invade sweetcorn to get at the worms and sap beetles that have already invaded the sweetcorn and opened the top of the shuck a little bit.. While the birds are there eating the bugs, they figure out that it's pretty OK to eat the kernels too. If there weren't bugs at the top of the ears, the birds probably wouldn't bother.. So, why bother scaring the birds away from the crappy, bug infested sweetcorn you probably can't even sell anyway? I mean, are we really talking about buggy sweetcorn?

Or...

Does this farmer perhaps have an axe to grind?

It's worth mentioning that it would be really, really easy for any of your own neighbors to set up a propane cannon "for their sweet corn" when the real reason is to keep your calves stressed, scared, and moving instead of calm, grazing, and gaining..

Think about it..

I would guess it was some uninformed reporter who printed it was SWEET CORN (not knowing any difference)

And if a neighbor of mine had pecan trees or corn next to me and chose to use the cannon to scare off the crows, that would be his choice.

Why do people think that just because they want to move to the country that they should be able to change things like they want instead of trying to adapt and get along.

I cut timber off my land last year and had a NEW neighbor come over when the cutter was going and warned them that they better not drop the first tree top on or near his property line.

Then later that month as my son and I were cutting some cedar trees down he came 500 ft plus across the line and began to ask me what I was doing and I reminded him that he was trespassing and if I wanted his opinion on what I did on my property I would call him. He told me the creek bottom which is on both of our property was used as a nature trail by his daughter and her friends, I reminded him that he should also tell his daughter and friends the laws about trespassing.

I haven't had any more troubles with him, I did have the local police come out about gunfire on my property and I informed the police it wasn't me or anyone in my family shooting on my place. I think it was the same neighbor who complained. I wonder if he can hear my compound bow when I let the arrow fly. :)

And Dun, you are right about the way our gov and state people put the old timers out of business with new appraisals that make it impossible for a farmer to survive. That is what is going on in Fla right now, the farmer and cattle people are giving up in alot of areas just because of tax rates going sky high.

wheeeeeeeeeeew enough venting

:lol:

A few years ago I sold a small tract of land for a client. They approached him before the sale about possibly buying an additional 2 acres he owned because there was a concrete pad and a water meter on the property. He really didn't want to sell it, and told them so, but promised he'd offer it to them if he did decide to sell. Now they're sueing him because he wouldnt' sell them the additional 2 acres.

They want my client to buy the property back... but they haven't tried to resell the property, and they also haven't done anything with it since they bought it, which means it's overgrown now.

Lawyers who take this crap are equally to blame!

cmjust0":2xd3ug89 said:
Think about it..

You are asking a lot.

I wonder how many posters on this thread have one of these things anywhere near them.

We are going through the trespassing/normal farm operations thing right now CH. I feel your frustration but if you can't see how these cannon things could be over used or misused - to all of our detriment, oh well.

It depends on the facts in the case and where you are.

C.HOLLAND":vvleq1i6 said:
I would guess it was some uninformed reporter who printed it was SWEET CORN (not knowing any difference)

I'm pretty sure it was sweet corn, because one article said that sweet corn sales made up about one third of their farmer's market income..

More importantly to me is that the birds don't come to eat the corn.. The birds come to eat the bugs -- the ear worms, more specifically -- that are already in the corn, and they just so happen to pick at the kernels while they're hanging on the ear. Take care of the worms, and you'll take care of the birds.. Birds are not going to cling precariously to an ear of tightly husked corn and pick at it until they can get to the kernels -- there's easier food out there.

Somehow, I doubt very seriously that the propane cannon scares off the worms.. :lol: Which means they're basically scaring off the birds so the worms can eat the corn without being hassled.. I just don't see the point in that.. I mean, either way, they're probably not going to be able to sell that corn...

That's why I'm tending toward this not really being about scaring away birds or protecting sweet corn.. I'm inclined to believe it's about pissing off neighbors..

Cm

I think you are missing the whole point, it's a matter of someone moving out of the city and buying 5 acres next to your 200 acre farm of whatever you grow or raise and they decide they want you to change because the smell is not what they think is appropriate or the noise from your cows, tractor or whatever is louder than they think it should be.

I have pecan trees on my place and if I use the cannons to get the crows to move on down the road and that has been an approved method for years and in the last few months my new neighbor thinks it is to loud. I guess you think I should change and then wait for their next complaint.

Maybe we should give in to whatever they think is correct for their little piece of heaven. 8)

I get what you and most other folks see as "the point" to the whole thing.. Farmer's right to farm versus whiney city folks rights to enjoy the countryside.. Seems pretty simple, on the face of it..

However, what I'm trying to do is get folks to do is to stop with the immediate, knee-jerk identification with this particular farmer and look at the bigger picture..

In the bigger picture, we're talking about one person's right to do something on their property that screws with another person's right or ability to do something on their own property..

For instance, do we believe that people should have the right to walk out onto their front lawns and expose themselves to their neighbors whenever they see fit? If the neighbors don't want to see, they don't have to look, right? And so long as the guy's not getting naked on YOUR lawn there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Of course it's a problem.. That's why such behavior is illegal..

Now, my guess is that the people living in the neighborhood have objected to the propane cannon not specifically because it's a farming activity or because they're trying to run the farmer off, but because it's plain old obnoxious...

Ya know, kinda like a guy who walks out to get the paper in the buff every morning and doesn't give a rat's butt what anybody else thinks of him doing so..

Frankly, I just hope you guys can get past your emotional connection to the farmer's side of things and be objective enough to at least consider what I'm saying here..

I'm not holding my breath, though..

Which is to say....what, exactly?

That you saw my point, hated that you actually saw my point, and couldn't figure out anything else to do but attack me personally?

Sure is what it looks like to me.

cmjust0":2smplk1v said:
Which is to say....what, exactly?

That you saw my point, hated that you actually saw my point, and couldn't figure out anything else to do but attack me personally?

Sure is what it looks like to me.

Maybe it was a sense of humor directed towards you, but you might have trouble understanding humor, and it look like you want everyone to see it your way or use your reasoning and you make it personal with your little jabs.

don't get your panties in a wad

This state like lots of others has a "right to farm" law. As long as you are doing normal farming practices you are protected. Well a farmer over in the Yakima Valley who was raising apples decided to switch to cherries. With cherries comes the propane cannons to keep the birds away. The neighbors complained about the noise and it ended up in court. The judge decided for the neighbors based on the fact that he had switched his farming practices. So this year the legislature wrote a new "right to farm" law which covers the farmer even if they change their farm. Now you could turn a hay field into a feedlot and the neighbors would not be able to take you to court.
One of the fun parts of my job is when some urban import calls complaining about the smell of manure. I love being able to quote the right to farm law to them. Especially when they tell me that this would not be allowed in California. Because then I get to tell them they aren't in California anymore but I bite my tongue and don't tell then to move back there.

C.HOLLAND":sxv6ol8y said:
Maybe it was a sense of humor directed towards you, but you might have trouble understanding humor, and it look like you want everyone to see it your way or use your reasoning and you make it personal with your little jabs.

Maybe it was.. Maybe it wasn't. It's hard to tell when it's just text on a screen.

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily want anybody to use my reasoning about this.. I just figure some reasoning might be beneficial.

I guess you just don't see it my way.

Latest posts