The Junk Guys Usually Get By

Help Support CattleToday:

Feeder calf run seems heavy here. I think some are selling before prices can drop more.

People like to talk about the amount of future cow dispersals, but have you actually seen a trend?

If I was a young person with cheap capital and cheap feed and good pasture it looks like if the prices hold you could make some pretty good money doubling the weight of 400 lb calves at 1.45 per lb. This would mean carrying the calves to 700 to 800 lbs.
Not many calves coming to the sales here in East Texas.

Stocker Steve said:
Feeder calf run seems heavy here. I think some are selling before prices can drop more.

People like to talk about the amount of future cow dispersals, but have you actually seen a trend?

It has started. Got word last night that bigger mixed young producer is dumping all the cattle this fall, going straight grain. About 120-140 cows. 75 year old next door neighbor is going to sell a good chunk of his cows this fall as well, getting ready to wind down in next couple years. They won't be the last ones this fall, but I have been a hermit for too long this summer and haven't been visiting to get the latest scoop on the going-on's of all the local young bucks.

hurleyjd If I was a young person with cheap capital and cheap feed and good pasture it looks like if the prices hold you could make some pretty good money doubling the weight of 400 lb calves at 1.45 per lb. This would mean carrying the calves to 700 to 800 lbs.[/quote said:
This time last year good lightweight steers were U$S 1.80 to 2.00 a pound. A couple local guys were loading up because they had alot of cheap corn. Don't think they will be back.

Aaron [quote="Stocker Steve" People like to talk about the amount of future cow dispersals said:
It has started. Got word last night that bigger mixed young producer is dumping all the cattle this fall, going straight grain. About 120-140 cows.

I would think a mixed producer should be lowest cost - - cheap bedding, feed some straw, field gleaning, OH spreading... Not so?

Stocker Steve said:
Aaron [quote="Stocker Steve" People like to talk about the amount of future cow dispersals said:
It has started. Got word last night that bigger mixed young producer is dumping all the cattle this fall, going straight grain. About 120-140 cows.

I would think a mixed producer should be lowest cost - - cheap bedding, feed some straw, field gleaning, OH spreading... Not so?

4 leggers are too much work for the younger generation. Much rather ride around in AC cabs. He just. bought a newer tracked Lexion with a 40' header, so he is going full bore grain.

Silver said:
Stocker Steve said:
Do you even use AC in Canada? I would think you leave the heat houser on year round. :nod:

Don't you live quite aways north of Aaron?

Aaron's right on the border, so not far north of Steve.. I'm further north than either, though not by a whole lot.. Our record summer temps were about 110F in the shade

Nesikep said:
Silver said:
Stocker Steve said:
Do you even use AC in Canada? I would think you leave the heat houser on year round. :nod:

Aaron's right on the border, so not far north of Steve.. I'm further north than either, though not by a whole lot.. Our record summer temps were about 110F in the shade
:shock: :shock: And here I thought you were in the land of the midnight sun!

Silver said:
Stocker Steve said:

Steve is 3 hours south of me and I am a shade below the 49th parallel. I'm same latitude as Plentywood, MT. Our weather is almost exactly the same, he just likes to yank chains.

There is a sign on the freeway a little north of here saying that is the 45th parallel. Half way between the equator and the north pole. I am south of that line. Does that make me a "Southerner"?

Latest posts