The Judge

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I had broke the sights off my .357 Marlin rifle- and stopped at the local sporting goods store to pick up replacement ones I ordered...I was talking with the clerk- and telling him how I always pack my snubby .357 pistol and then have the same round I can use in the rifle...

He was then telling me that the hottest selling pistol this year in this area was The Judge- a 5 shot revolver from Taurus- that shoots either 45 Long Colt or 410 shotshells....Said he has a hard time keeping them in stock-- and that altho Taurus was making longer barrels now- everyone wants the short barrel model...
Apparently really hot not only with the farmer/ranchers/hunters/outdoorsmen- but with the home protection folks too....

Yep a load of #4 shot down your hallway would probably be a little discouraging to an intruder- and would be equally effective on a rattlesnake....

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunse ... ?series=41

The Judge is a great concept but I have a real hard time beliving its this years hottest seller. Maybe a selling tactic " everyone else is buying them so fast you better get this one cause its my last". But still a good idea and I want one.

3fifty7":3spuwsqp said:
The Judge is a great concept but I have a real hard time beliving its this years hottest seller. Maybe a selling tactic " everyone else is buying them so fast you better get this one cause its my last". But still a good idea and I want one.

Actually this is a friend of mine that works at the store- and already knows I have about as many guns as the store does ;-) and don't need anymore-- and I believe him....He said he wouldn't have believed it himself if he hadn't seen it-- but he said they are the hot item for this area...

Neat gun. I have a single shot that shoots the same rounds. Can't remember the manufacturer but do know it was made in Kentucky. It looks like a flare gun and has about 1/2 of barrel if loaded with .410. Spread is awesome for snakes. 45 long can be shot in it but accuracy is poor to put it mildly.

I've shot a number of handguns in 410, not something to be undertaken lightly. Really hard on the wrist

dun":11q0d24s said:
I've shot a number of handguns in 410, not something to be undertaken lightly. Really hard on the wrist

Yep-- I shot a 45/410 derringer--and it left the nerves in palm of your hand dancing for a little while ;-) A great easily concealed belly gun tho- and worked good for finishing off a wounded deer....

Oldtimer":jkrneoxp said:
dun":jkrneoxp said:

Yep-- I shot a 45/410 derringer--and it left the nerves in palm of your hand dancing for a little while ;-) A great easily concealed belly gun tho- and worked good for finishing off a wounded deer....

When I shot a derringer in 410 and one in 45-70 it seemed that he 410 was more unpleasent. Both hurt

dun":1xxaquwu said:
Oldtimer":1xxaquwu said:
dun":1xxaquwu said:

When I shot a derringer in 410 and one in 45-70 it seemed that he 410 was more unpleasent. Both hurt

Mine seems just the opposite but like you say both are unpleasant. Bout like holding an M-80 at arms length on a plate. Not something you want to do too often in a day.

CB had talked about this pistol some time back and I forgot about it till this post. Mentioned it to my Bride (of 27 years) and she said next week being Fathers Day and all if I wanted one to go buy one. Called Gander Mountain and they had the gun in stock so off I went to buy one. Got the blued 4'' model 50 rounds of 45 Longs 50 410 rounds and a Uncle Mikes Cordura belt holster. :D Is she good to me or what? :banana:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1vmtf98b said:
CB had talked about this pistol some time back and I forgot about it till this post. Mentioned it to my Bride (of 27 years) and she said next week being Fathers Day and all if I wanted one to go buy one. Called Gander Mountain and they had the gun in stock so off I went to buy one. Got the blued 4'' model 50 rounds of 45 Longs 50 410 rounds and a Uncle Mikes Cordura belt holster. :D Is she good to me or what? :banana:

So how did it shoot? - and don't you dare give us any of that bull about waiting for Father's Day to bust a cap. ;-) :lol:

Been carrying it every day while out in knee high grass spraying mesquites,got it mostly for snakes but have not fired it yet. :roll: The gun is a pleasure to carry at 32oz.,has a titanium frame.

I bought a judge last year. Saw it in a magazine and i was on radar lock to the gun shop. i like it alot. Suprisingly easy to carry and well balanced. Kicks like a crack headed mule though. the .45's aren't so bad but the 410 is rough. Not a very good pattern with the fine shot (had to shoot a snake 5 times at 10' and switched over to 45 until I hit him). The buckshot got me 2 out of 3 in a milkjug at 10 yards. Just kinda spensive to shoot too.

Horticattleman":3o67wx5z said:
I bought a judge last year. Saw it in a magazine and i was on radar lock to the gun shop. i like it alot. Suprisingly easy to carry and well balanced. Kicks like a crack headed mule though. the .45's aren't so bad but the 410 is rough. Not a very good pattern with the fine shot (had to shoot a snake 5 times at 10' and switched over to 45 until I hit him). The buckshot got me 2 out of 3 in a milkjug at 10 yards. Just kinda spensive to shoot too.

Bought one when they first came out, you have to aim low as the recoil slings the shotgun pattern upward.
Get a piece of freezer paper on a board and pattern it I think you will be happy with your patterns.

Gus store that I frequent which is a large one known up and down the east coast says they have a hard time getting the Taurus Judge.

I inquired if they ever saw any decent used ones as they do a lot of used gun trade. They replied that they had never seen a used one and darned seldom saw a new one.

found a similar weapon called a Commanche that is a single shot.

Someone recommended a shot load for my 44 as a viable alternative. confess that I did not know there was a shot load for a 44.

I have been carrying my 357 when i do field work. 44 is just so big and heavy. Long barrell.

pdfangus":2on4ul76 said:
Gus store that I frequent which is a large one known up and down the east coast says they have a hard time getting the Taurus Judge.

I inquired if they ever saw any decent used ones as they do a lot of used gun trade. They replied that they had never seen a used one and darned seldom saw a new one.

found a similar weapon called a Commanche that is a single shot.

Someone recommended a shot load for my 44 as a viable alternative. confess that I did not know there was a shot load for a 44.

I have been carrying my 357 when i do field work. 44 is just so big and heavy. Long barrell.

There are also shot loads for 357. The problem with the shot cartridges for revolvers vs an actual shot shell is the revolver loads have much smaller shot and are only affective a really short range, don;t pattern worth spit. The old test we used to determine the effectiveness was to shoot and empty coke can at various distancfes. If you have through and through penetration is is adequate at that range for snakes.
There are also shot loads for 9mm, 45 ACP, 22 lr and 22 wmrf, and the 40 S&W was being worked on 10 years ago so I would imagine it's available by now

I would imagine there will be quite a few cycling issues with a 9mm pistol but i guess it will be fine for those of you with a 9mm revolver.
Also shot shells are avaliable in .357/.38

3fifty7":1t0318iy said:
I would imagine there will be quite a few cycling issues with a 9mm pistol but i guess it will be fine for those of you with a 9mm revolver.
Also shot shells are avaliable in .357/.38

Some autos ccyle with them, some won;t. My H&K P7M8 would, wifes Sig 226 wouldn;t but her Star Firestar does.

Latest posts