The Great American Desert after a rain...

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
The old countryside was getting pretty dry and the pastures starting to brown up...Then on the afternoon of Friday the 19th- while the grandson and I were fixing some fence a thunderstorm caught us at the far side of the pasture- and dumped buckets (about 2 inches)... We were in the ranger side by side and besides getting hailed on we got our spring baths... ;-) When it finally let up enough to get back to the pickup- every coulee and cow trail was running water... Water was pouring down them towards the almost dry reservoirs and dams......

Today while checking some fence I snapped these pictures- water in every hole and low spot again...

The hillsides greening up again and even some of the wildflowers blooming...You can almost watch the grass growing..

Even any low spots on the flats have water still standing in them..

With wheat prices low, many in this area are growing alternate crops- peas, beans, lentils...I know the Canadians probably have- but I don't know how many others have seen miles and miles of yellow fields like this... Some of a neighbors canola fields.. Pretty now - surrounded by the green of wheat fields...

Beautiful country. Glad you got the rain. To me, there's nothing more discouraging than dry times. I've said before, there's not that much flat land in this whole county.

fitz":524vdp6r said:
Beautiful country. Glad you got the rain. To me, there's nothing more discouraging than dry times. I've said before, there's not that much flat land in this whole county.
You think that's flat? You should see some big tiled fields in South Texas. They look like you could roll a marble into the next county on em.

TennesseeTuxedo":1wb6hedm said:
Well pics 1 and 3 might be keepers but the others are definite culls.
:D

TT you made me blow water all over the key board.

I agree with you on #2, too weak in the top line but look again at the straight lines on #4. I believe that is a keeper in any bodies book.

Dave":1iiuiywj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1iiuiywj said:

I agree with you on #2, too weak in the top line but look again at the straight lines on #4. I believe that is a keeper in any bodies book.

Just keeping in real Dave, LOL!

TennesseeTuxedo":7wn2zr94 said:
Dave":7wn2zr94 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":7wn2zr94 said:

Just keeping in real Dave, LOL!

;-) :clap: :lol2:

Latest posts