The girls

Help Support CattleToday:

I am fairly new to owning cows. We have 18 currently, of which 7 are calves. I feed a bag of cubes every Saturday. Is that enough, or not enough?

Hi, and welcome to CT. I am a fairly "newer" member here but have a few years with cattle. Where are you located and what is the status of your cattle? Pasture, hay , combination????? Are you feeding cubes to keep them friendly, and coming in to a catch pen area, or do they need the supplement? We mostly all believe in having cows that do good on grass without alot of supplementation unless there is no pasture in sight. Most all also feed some grain or cubes or something to get and keep the animals quiet and tame, and coming to us to make it easier to check them and catch them up or whatever. So, once or twice a week is plenty if they are coming to you.

Zac Wilson":2wtfr0sp said:
I am fairly new to owning cows. We have 18 currently, of which 7 are calves. I feed a bag of cubes every Saturday. Is that enough, or not enough?
:welcome:

I did the same thing for the first few months with the girls. A 20% cube from Orscheln.

I switched over to a 14% pellet in bulk from MFA. A little easier to deal with, and a little cheaper, though not as much as I hoped. I feed them about 5 pounds each every 4th day. Seems to stimulate the appetite for hay. I had OK grass through the winter, but it played out mid-January. A bale last the girls about 4 days.

They come running to me now.

Latest posts