The Future of Farming

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I was reading an article written by Mike Rowe (if any of you are familiar with him and his show Dirty Jobs) on a relatively new site called mikeroweWORKS.com about concerns for the future of farming. It's one of those articles that I found quite interesting, and one worth commenting on, not to mention worth sharing to other folks.

The Future Of Farming

The last time I was in Indianapolis was the summer of 2003. I remember it pretty well because I was still sulking about The Colts being moved there without my permission and not quite over their inglorious departure from my hometown of Baltimore twenty years earlier. My bitterness melted away however in nearby Plainfield at The National Chimney Sweep Training School, the site of my very first Dirty Job. There, I was instructed in the fine art of "flue maintenance," and engulfed in flames while attempting to extinguish a raging creosote fire from the top of a rickety demonstration platform. Things went downhill after that and by the time I finally left town I was unrecognizable, concealed under a thick layer of ash and soot, with no plans of ever returning to The Crossroads of America.

Of course, in those days I was unrecognizable on a daily basis. Dirty Jobs would not debut for another six months, and I had no reason to think that anyone would watch when it did. I was wrong about that, and I've been wrong about a great many things ever since. A few months ago in fact - proving once again that my plans and my life have little in common – I returned to Indianapolis a lot cleaner, and a lot less anonymous, to deliver the keynote address at The 82nd National Convention of The Future Farmers of America (10/21/09).

For those of you who don't know, The FFA is an organization of 500,000 teenagers, most of who look like they fell off the front of a Wheaties box. Wholesome, polite, and impossibly well mannered, these are the kids you wish you had, diligently pursuing an adolescence of agricultural acumen. Unfortunately, I arrived at their annual convention with the same level of planning and forethought I brought on my last visit, (i.e., none,) and found myself pacing in the wings twenty minutes before my appearance, trying to arrange my thoughts into an "inspirational and G-Rated message." Luckily, I happened to glance down at the "FFA Briefing Packet," recently handed to me by one of the organizers, and found some inspiration on page 4.

"The FFA currently faces an image and perception problem. The previous name of the organization, "Future Farmers of America," lends itself to stereotyping by the public. The FFA faces a continuing battle to redefine itself against narrow perceptions of "agriculture," "vocational" and "farmers." The name "FFA" is now used instead of "Future Farmers of America."

Incredible. Have we really become so disconnected from our food that farmers no longer wish to be called farmers? Apparently, yes. The FFA has determined that most Americans think of farmers like those actors in Colonial Williamsburg – smiling caricatures from Hee Haw and Green Acres, laboring quaintly in flannel and denim. From what I've seen, they're right. Over and over I hear the same thing from farmers I've met on Dirty Jobs. Technical advances in modern agriculture now rival those of Silicon Valley, and today's farms are more efficient than ever, but no one seems to have gotten the memo. No one seems to care.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2010/07/th ... f-farming/

I just happened to catch Mike Rowe giving his talk at the FFA Convention on RFD-TV and it was really good! How refreshing to have a celebrity who supports agriculture as opposed to the ones who give their money and lend their name to P I T A type organizations. And he's so laid back and common sense about it, he makes a great messenger.

I'm not exactly sure I understand. It may be a regional thing. Everyone in this area has been using that acronym since the 60's. I've got an old jacket from '74 when I was a member and it has an FFA acronym on the emblem.

On another light, things have changed dramatically since back then. Some of the old reliable supplies have been taken off of the market. A whole lot of the maw and paw feed stores are gone and it was these folks who got you the things you wanted - and could give you advice on how to do things too.

Many of the new fangled products just don't get the job done. So now you have spent your nickels on it, put in the time and/or fuel, and you haven't cured what you set out to cure.

You have to get licensed for most pasture chemicals. It is just more control laid upon you.

What we do have is higher quality seed - I'll give them that.

There is also a terminology shift. It is almost like I don't even speak the same language with younger cattle folks these days.

They changed the name to just going by FFA in '88, this was to reflect all the ag. possibilities that the organization deals with in addition to farming.

Hmmmm. It was "FFA" back in the 50s when I was in school. Does FFA now stand for something other than Future Farmers of America?

Yes Mike Rowe is a advocate to farmers of all kinds. His Dad was a pig farmer and he himself has some ag background too.

GMN":2v60azih said:
Yes Mike Rowe is a advocate to farmers of all kinds. His Dad was a pig farmer and he himself has some ag background too.
I had heard about the pig farmer back ground too. I did a little checking and saw that both of his parents were school teachers

Latest posts