The F250 tranny ? got me thinking.

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
People complain about how cars/trucks aren;t made like they used to be. It's not unusaul to get 150k-200k from one now witrh no problems. Used to be a vehicle was worn out at 50k-75k. I just had to put brakes on my Ranger at only 149k miles.
The question is, how many miles do you expect a truck to last that is still in good enough condition that you would be willing to take it on a thousand mile trip?

You are spot on Dun. It hasn't been too many years ago when a GM 350 transmission or a Ford C3 needed a rebuild at 50 to 60K. Those two transmissions plus the small Chrysler kept many shops in business. Even the old Ford FMX transmission in heavy duty service in F350's and up wouldn't go more than 75K or so.

My truck with the Allison has 167K so far and it is still going strong. Even has the same brakes. I'll give you I don't pull 25,000 lbs with it daily but IMO if you're doing that you might be expecting something to wear out from time-to-time anyway.

You can easily go 75,000 miles on most vehicles without changing the spark plugs. Used to be you couldn't go 7500. They are pretty amazing for the most part.

A couple more things I've noticed. Vehicles are a whole lot easier to start in the winter. I mean real winter, not that Texas winter stuff. Also, it used to be if you went anywhere on the highway it was just about guaranteed that you'd see a car or two sitting on the side of road broke down. You don't see that anywhere near as often now.

Train":3f836l9f said:
Also, it used to be if you went anywhere on the highway it was just about guaranteed that you'd see a car or two sitting on the side of road broke down. You don't see that anywhere near as often now.
And it's a darn good thing. With all the computerized crap running them now you can;t just jump out and fix it yourself.

About a month back I get a warning light on the dash, emission problem. After waiting an hour and a half, they tell me my gas cap is leaking. " You mean where I put the gas in the tank" ? Yup, it's not sealing correctly. A new cap is $25 . Thank God for that warning light!

I passed on the cap. Please don't tell Al Gore.

I've had 5 F250's, 1 after the other, all gas... each gave me over 225000 miles and until 200,000 on each one of them i would have left at any minute for a thousand mile trip...This is the first transmission I've put in one, (the factory replaced 1)..I think i would like to have a dodge, but when i go to get a new one, the ford F250 single cab can be beat for price...I've never gave over $24000.00 for one tax included..I can't say they are the best, but I can't make myself pay $30,000.00+ for a truck that my dogs will ride in and my cows will rub a mirror off of.

I've got a 2000 F350 7.3 6spd with 180,000 on it. I think it would make a thosand mile trip, can never be sure though.

Larry

I think Dun is right. Trucks (and cars too) last more miles with less maintenance than they used to. My husband had a 65 Chevy pickup in the late 70's/early 80's that had about 150,000 on it and was on its second engine. The shocks were shot and it "rocked and rolled" on curves and corners, it had many other issues. We took it down to Branson and Table Rock Lake, looking back now it seems like a miracle we made it down there and back.

Fast forward to 2000, we took a 95 F150 with 150,000 on it to Yellowstone and back pulling a camper and didn't think a thing about it. The F250 we have now is over 150,000 and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it 1,000 miles and haul something too.

For my business, I had an 85 chevy last 165,000 before it was shot. Then I bought a new 89 chevy that lasted about the same, then bought a new 93 that I drove 383,000, with a new motor at 254,000, before a train took it out. Since then I buy service trucks that the utilities have had, one S-10 has 225,000 and my chevy service truck has 185,000. I would take those trucks anywhere and think nothing about it. Vehicles are a lot more expensive now, but you get a lot of bang for your buck. gs

Train":3ifwe6vx said:
About a month back I get a warning light on the dash, emission problem. After waiting an hour and a half, they tell me my gas cap is leaking. " You mean where I put the gas in the tank" ? Yup, it's not sealing correctly. A new cap is $25 . Thank God for that warning light!

I passed on the cap. Please don't tell Al Gore.

Now that your light comes on you dont know that it is a gas cap or the transmission slipping,or the engine missing causing the light. Really should get it fixed that way you know when it has another problem.

dun":1spjv0s7 said:
The question is, how many miles do you expect a truck to last that is still in good enough condition that you would be willing to take it on a thousand mile trip?

My K1500 has 204,000 and it is going on a couple long trips this fall to ND and SD. I have had a couple breakdowns: the transfer case locked up last year (no lube in it :( ), and I have cut some side walls before I went to BFG, but I don't blame the truck for that.

Cars are not built as heavy. Had the a front end suspension tower crumble on a rusty Ford at 195,000 but the competing Buick is still limping along for my son at 226,000.

Seems like 300,000 miles is possible for trucks and 200,000 for cars.

Stocker Steve":2k8lh99x said:
dun":2k8lh99x said:

My K1500 has 204,000 and it is going on a couple long trips this fall to ND and SD. I have had a couple breakdowns: the transfer case locked up last year (no lube in it :( ), and I have cut some side walls before I went to BFG, but I don't blame the truck for that.

Cars are not built as heavy. Had the a front end suspension tower crumble on a rusty Ford at 195,000 but the competing Buick is still limping along for my son at 226,000.

I agree. I have 350,000 on the old GEO prism. Timing belts,brakes ,tires,tuneup maintenace stuff. The body is rusting off engine is just now broke in.

Just rolled 200k on my 04 f250 6.0 while on our trip to NY. 2400 miles round trip avg 19mpg. I've kept up on the maint and didn't give it a second thought. Looking forward to 400k!

I can't help but wonder if this thread has anything to do with the crap that I park in dun's driveway?

200k is a breaking point for me. A lot of it also depends on how long I've owned the vehicle and if any other yahoos have worked on it. Vehicles today have more longevity than years ago, but the days of rigging it up and getting home have past. My favorites for that are the late 80's/early 90's Fords with the Intl diesels, I can rig those things to make it cross country in my sleep.

Stocker Steve":393zf71x said:

I think steve hit it right on the head. The weight is the thing .
If the motor does not have to labour around with 3 ton but rather 1 and a half it will last twice as long . What wears motors out is on and off motoring . The getting cold between uses causes heavy wear warming the motor up to operating temp again. Only got to look at taxis that never get turned off to see they get 4 / 600 miles .

Lean on the body these days and you will dent it sure.

I purchased my 2000 ford f-250 a couple years ago with 265,000 miles. Its the 7.3 diesel. It has 275,00 miles on it now. We mostly use it to haul the travel trailer around. No problems so far.

Walt

Latest posts