The Bull Pen

Help Support CattleToday:

Totally agree on replacement heifers - Randi & elkwc.
I occasionally add a female "purchased" to my herd, but it is a costly venture to find one desirable to add to my herd. And, they don't always FIT my management program. Many high-dollar cattle come from pampered programs.
If you have a "breeding program" and a set management, it is not always easy to find cattle that fit.

Thanks Randi
Very well explained.
I like your cattle and the cold they seem to do well in. We are in a very cold spell right now and these Brahman cross I have are really acting like it is bothering them.

We buy females as well. Sometimes we can't produce as many as we need, and, we have been growing the herd. Some of them work well, and some don't. It's pretty expensive to buy a cow/heifer, and then have to cull her right away the next spring because she has no milk or a bad temperament.

BRYANT":36ftwbfo said:
Thanks Randi
Very well explained.
I like your cattle and the cold they seem to do well in. We are in a very cold spell right now and these Brahman cross I have are really acting like it is bothering them.

We're in a real cold snap here too it's been around and below-30 C here for the last week and supposed to get colder this weekend.
Here's our heifers the other morning. Probably around -34C that morning.
FB_IMG_1514556303160.jpg

Randi":2v47v0z8 said:
BRYANT":2v47v0z8 said:
Thanks Randi
Very well explained.

We're in a real cold snap here too it's been around and below-30 C here for the last week and supposed to get colder this weekend.
FB_IMG_1514556303160.jpg
On second thought we are in a heat wave here, its only going to get down to 7 Sat. night.

Randi":zgqgb027 said:
BRYANT":zgqgb027 said:
Thanks Randi
Very well explained.

FB_IMG_1514556303160.jpg
Nothing like having the right type for your environment...

I rarely ever buy anything other than a proven cow. I do "occasionally" buy a heifer. Got bit, really hate that.

Yeah, I was thinking when I was reading about you "Southerners" complaining about your temperatures and how hard it is on your cows, and I would look out the window and scratch my head. But, environment - environment - that is everything. My (our) cattle is used to our extremes. They really know how to grow hair.

BRYANT":3gw9xdua said:
Randi":3gw9xdua said:
BRYANT":3gw9xdua said:
Thanks Randi
Very well explained.

FB_IMG_1514556303160.jpg
On second thought we are in a heat wave here, its only going to get down to 7 Sat. night.

Lol, but my cows would probably die in your area, in the summer.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2kjvdxmo said:
I rarely ever buy anything other than a proven cow. I do "occasionally" buy a heifer. Got bit, really hate that.

Yeah, I was thinking when I was reading about you "Southerners" complaining about your temperatures and how hard it is on your cows, and I would look out the window and scratch my head. But, environment - environment - that is everything. My (our) cattle is used to our extremes. They really know how to grow hair.
Southerners might not know any better. Last February during the snow moon blizzard my wife and I would walk 3/4 of a mile to breakfast and back every morning in Clayton NY. Your cold and our cold vary greatly, when it's single digits here you can't put enough clothes on to walk around outside.

Its the same with high temps and low humidity...just a few years back the temps here were well over 100.. And the heat index was low.. I thought the cows were gonna suffer, they weren't even panting.usually here it's like walking around in a dogs mouth

Latest posts