Thawing Semen (Surprise)

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife

Reaction score
My husband and I were breeding some cows this past weekend by AI. We have done this for several years with success. The surprise came when I transferred a straw to the thaw bath and the straw shot out of the container about 8 feet in the air. I quickly placed it back in the thaw bath to which it shot about 12 feet in the air and half way across the barn...needless to say I figured it was a lost cause plus I couldn't find it. Has anyone ever experience this same situation?

You had a touch of Nitrogen in the end of the straw, always give it a shake before putting in the thaw water.

CA

I had a couple do the same thing both were by the same bull I showed the rep next time he came around, he took them back & was told it was a faulty plug end I was given replacement semen which didn't worry me too much was interesting to watch them shoot up into the ceiling though

Loch Valley Fold":1i19k7l5 said:
I had a couple do the same thing both were by the same bull I showed the rep next time he came around, he took them back & was told it was a faulty plug end I was given replacement semen which didn't worry me too much was interesting to watch them shoot up into the ceiling though

LMFAO!!!!!

I have never had that happen! Thats funny! The visual is priceless!! Maybe thats why they tell you to gently shake the stray before dropping it into the water.?.?
Lmbo!!!!
Double R

It does happen. Out of force of habit I still give the straws a quick flick before I thaw but I've only had that happen around three times since I moved my business to abs five years ago and I thaw an average of a hundred units a day.
Every company's product has it's quirks. For a while I had to order extra product every month to account for all the blown straws and that was from a well respected company that I won't name. Their sorted straws were the worst. I'd drop in twenty units and five would jump back out. Some would even explode. I used to tease them that for every thousand units I bought I should get a free pair of safety goggles.

Latest posts