That time of year again

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
This is the time of year I get anxious with the cattle. I look at my hay reserves and question myself. Did I figure right? Will it be a late spring or early spring? Will we go into a drought? If so .... I'm probably screwed even though I don't work with a sharp pencil. All things being equal I should be in good shape but what if? Anyone else get a little anxious this time of year?

No need to worry about what you can't do anything about. I got enough hay because what I got is what they got it will have to do. Spring will come grass will grow.

We're out of hay. I've bought some and looking for more. Quality hay is hard to come by. I did a test on some good hay and it was poor. The old boy wasn't happy with the results. But he's never sent a sample off before. I knew when it had dog fennels in it that it wasn't going to be good. My son sold to much again.

Probably still have 200 tons from 2012. What makes me anxious is not knowing is the last three attempts of precipitation is how it's going to be going forward. After 8+ inches of rain in January we have barely a half inch so far this month. It is getting time for field work to plant crops so the drying trend is welcome but one wonders if this is the start of another dry year.

Neighbors got about 25 roll of pnut hay he tried to sell me in the fall. He didn't get it wrapped but put it under the barn. If push comes to shove I'll buy it. I grazed all my oats short last week so hay consumption dropped drastically. I fertilized it yester day and it will take a few weeks for that I have enough hay to last till then . Mid March we should have some grass.

This is always a very stressful worrisome time here too Jo. Worry about the weather, calves cows and if I can stretch what little bit of hay I have until at least the middle of May. I have been buying grain and supplementing with that as it is more available but not cheaper.

highgrit":3idc551n said:
We're out of hay. I've bought some and looking for more. Quality hay is hard to come by. I did a test on some good hay and it was poor. The old boy wasn't happy with the results. But he's never sent a sample off before. I knew when it had dog fennels in it that it wasn't going to be good. My son sold to much again.

Since he sold it .... and if I remember correctly he pocketed the money .... shouldn't he be buying more and not you? Just saying.

Since we've never had this many cows (50% more than before), I look at my stack and try and do that math.. it is too much, is it not enough? I have 2 months of feeding, I think I'll have some leftover, though I have a guy coming to buy some though it's not a whole lot.. but then again, my cows have been on a diet, and once they calf I'll be pouring the coal to them.. I'm feeding 12 bales a day now, that'll probably go up to 20 by the time they've all calved.. I have about 1200 bales, so I should be within comfort, and I always feed some out in the summer too.

Mega is 'due' in 2 days, though knowing her family it's probably a good week, especially if she's carrying a bull calf.

He's in south Florida catching kingfish, and a few tile fish. He's going to be paying one way or the other. I wish he'd come home and bring some fish and oysters, I'm ready for some seafood. But he's running a little sweetie, so mom and dad are on the back burner.

I sold a few rolls and hoping I don't regret it. Have enough at the current rate to feed til April 25th. If we need hay after that I won't be the only one hurting. Could have sold every bale I have the last 2 weeks though. I don't have a hay barn so I don't really have a way to keep a emergency store but I don't mind a few rolls hanging around from one year to the next.

My cows finished the peanut hay in early January. My rye grass has done very poorly this wet cold winter. I put them back on it yesterday. They have been on bermuda hay also. We get it from my cousin and he says he has plenty. I hope it holds out as I hear a lot of people around here say they are giving out of hay. Seems like we have a few more cows every year. I sold in February last year, but still holding some calves and a few cows I plan to sell in the next few weeks.

We been out for a month now. I have been at the rig for three weeks so dad has been picking up what he can 3-4 at a time. I guess when i get home wednesday ill be lookinv for some hay to get us through. Its been hard to find this year. It would be nice if we had enough storage for two years.

jedstivers":53eblbl7 said:
Since I can't sell a bale one with all the hay in AR I prol have enough hor next winter if we don't bale any. We have several acres of wheat to bale this spring already though.

Hahah.....just "several"...? In your operation, how many is "several"? :lol:

Jogeephus":3jcikinq said:
This is the time of year I get anxious with the cattle. I look at my hay reserves and question myself. Did I figure right? Will it be a late spring or early spring? Will we go into a drought? If so .... I'm probably screwed even though I don't work with a sharp pencil. All things being equal I should be in good shape but what if? Anyone else get a little anxious this time of year?

I never really get anxious because I always seemed to have more hay than cattle to eat it. It seems as alot of cattle people near here have no hay left and are going to NC and the other end of the state to pick some up. I had someone willing to pay me whatever I wanted per roll for however many i wanted to sell but I declined because I may need it if its dry this year. If its a drought I want to be able to stock up on cattle and not worry about feeding them.

At the present consumption rate, I will be ok thru mid April--maybe some left over. Depends when the Bahia starts growing back. I did hear it thunder a couple days ago.......

Cold, windy and wet now, so it might be a close call.
Right now, I still see round bales for sale in a few local places, but it's been sitting outside all winter and they got a sign $65/bale. Some of that Trinity River bottom grass I suspect. That same hay was bringing $110/bale in 2011-2012 winter.

Then again........
... Freezing Rain Advisory now in effect from 6 PM this evening to
6 am CST Tuesday...

* location... points north of a Brenham to Conroe to Cleveland line.

* Timing... Monday night through Tuesday morning.

* Amounts... generally less than five hundredths of an inch of
ice accumulation.

* Impacts... slick roadways and possible ice accumulation on
elevated surfaces like bridges leading to hazardous traveling
conditions.