Thanks USDA

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
highgrit":82et71on said:
Sounds like animal cruelty charges should of been filed. I just hope it doesn't happen again. To many people put profit ahead animal rights.
:bs: :bs:

highgrit":bb5et6uo said:
Sounds like animal cruelty charges should of been filed. I just hope it doesn't happen again. To many people put profit ahead animal rights.

What happened to inbred was a once in a century event. It has nothing to do with animal cruelty. If it did, then we need to shut down every feedlot in the country. You don't like inbred? Fine. But what you're advocating would pretty much destroy the beef industry in this country.

VanC":x9tkjzot said:
highgrit":x9tkjzot said:

What happened to inbred was a once in a century event. It has nothing to do with animal cruelty. If it did, then we need to shut down every feedlot in the country. You don't like inbred? Fine. But what you're advocating would pretty much destroy the beef industry in this country.
:nod: :nod:

highgrit":3vg9fs1p said:
I don't believe that a stocking rate of one steer per 1393 sq. feet along with access to all the water they could drink, but wouldn't drink, could be considered animal cruelty. Guess you should have been in my shoes then it would have got done right.

inbredredneck":19keshpq said:
Dixieangus":19keshpq said:
Im still not seeing the cause of death? Heat stroke?
Of course it was heat stroke, I told you that in the pm.
Ok, Ok heat stroke. Glad they have something for losses like that. Hope it never happens again to you.

I'll be the first to say I don't know .... about a feed lot. I run black cows here and it gets into the 100's in the summer regularly. I don't stand in the sun without a hat on, and I don't put my cows where they don't have shade. In south Fl. the dairies build shade for their cows, some even have fans with misters running to keep their temperature down. It all makes sense to me, sorry for your loss and better luck next time.

VanC":1sqc31ki said:
highgrit":1sqc31ki said:

I don't think it would destroy the beef industry to avoid breeding cattle black, and provide shade and sprinklers. In fact, from a marketing perspective, it might boost sales, since many consumers actually care about how animals are treated. Even if producers don't care about animal welfare, in the articles provided, you will learn that investments to keep cattle cooler will provide returns, as they eat better and don't expend so much energy trying to fight the heat stress.

There are several such events each year around the country. Do some googling. The industry does need to be questioned, as it doesn't work to breed cattle black, not provide shade, put them in dirt or concrete, feed them in a way that produces more body heat and makes them fat so they can't dissipate heat. How many fat people in the south or midwest sit out in the sun wearing black during the summer?

Here's another article discussing such:
http://ag.arizona.edu/ans/swnmc/Proceed ... 7SWNMC.pdf
TT is tympanic temperature (temp taken in the ear)
Also, during hot environmental conditions, TT of dark or black-hided cattle are .5º to .8ºC greater than light or white-hided cattle from mid to late afternoon (Figures 7 and 8). Cattle that are most susceptible to heat stress would therefore be black-hided and cattle being full-fed a high-energy diet. Cattle nearly finished or carrying above average body condition would also be subject to heat stress.

Cattle are particularly vulnerable not only to extreme environmental conditions, but also to rapid changes in these conditions. Management alternatives, such as the strategic use sprinklers or shade, need to be considered to help cattle cope with adverse conditions. In addition to these changes, manipulation of diet energy density and intake may also be beneficial for cattle challenged by environmental conditions.

Many don't want to hear it, but the industry needs to shift away from black cattle. Our summers aren't getting any cooler. It is shortsighted to think black is the only way to make money, especially in the long run as animal welfare consumers shift buying habits, and as heat stress takes more toll on animal productivity.

Dixieangus":33k59mmj said:
inbredredneck":33k59mmj said:
Dixieangus":33k59mmj said:
Im still not seeing the cause of death? Heat stroke?
Of course it was heat stroke, I told you that in the pm.
Ok, Ok heat stroke. Glad they have something for losses like that. Hope it never happens again to you.
I apologize, my statement wasn't meant to be rude I just respond that way in general. Work with me I'm an ass alot.

djinwa":22v8ae01 said:
I don't think it would destroy the beef industry to avoid breeding cattle black, and provide shade and sprinklers. In fact, from a marketing perspective, it might boost sales, since many consumers actually care about how animals are treated. Even if producers don't care about animal welfare, in the articles provided, you will learn that investments to keep cattle cooler will provide returns, as they eat better and don't expend so much energy trying to fight the heat stress.

There are several such events each year around the country. Do some googling. The industry does need to be questioned, as it doesn't work to breed cattle black, not provide shade, put them in dirt or concrete, feed them in a way that produces more body heat and makes them fat so they can't dissipate heat. How many fat people in the south or midwest sit out in the sun wearing black during the summer?
As far as sprinklers go they had plenty of access to both sprinklers and drinking water in the lot. However the day before I turned these cattle into a harvested pea field, they wanted nothing to do with leaving the openness of the pea field for the cement of the feedlot. As far as shade goes we opened the fence between the pea field and the corn field, the cattle came out of the corn as fast as they went in. Google Corn and Evapotranspiration and you will see why they didn't like that. Also I've never considered Minnesota to be in the South or Midwest.

djinwa":5swthnam said:
VanC":5swthnam said:
highgrit":5swthnam said:

Here's another article discussing such:
http://ag.arizona.edu/ans/swnmc/Proceed ... 7SWNMC.pdf
TT is tympanic temperature (temp taken in the ear)
Also, during hot environmental conditions, TT of dark or black-hided cattle are .5º to .8ºC greater than light or white-hided cattle from mid to late afternoon (Figures 7 and 8). Cattle that are most susceptible to heat stress would therefore be black-hided and cattle being full-fed a high-energy diet. Cattle nearly finished or carrying above average body condition would also be subject to heat stress.

Cattle are particularly vulnerable not only to extreme environmental conditions, but also to rapid changes in these conditions. Management alternatives, such as the strategic use sprinklers or shade, need to be considered to help cattle cope with adverse conditions. In addition to these changes, manipulation of diet energy density and intake may also be beneficial for cattle challenged by environmental conditions.

Many don't want to hear it, but the industry needs to shift away from black cattle. Our summers aren't getting any cooler. It is shortsighted to think black is the only way to make money, especially in the long run as animal welfare consumers shift buying habits, and as heat stress takes more toll on animal productivity.

My comments about it being a once in a century event were aimed specifically at inbred's losses, not at all feedlots in general. I took your advice and did some googling. Here is part of a story about last summer's extreme heat. It was written last July.

Today alone, 141 million Americans are under heat advisories or heat warnings from the Midwest to the Ohio Valley. That's after 78 million were afflicted by extreme heat Tuesday over an area the size of Mexico. By far, the most impressive heat and humidity records yesterday occurred in Minnesota, where Minneapolis had its most humid day on record.

Minneapolis Star Tribune meteorologist Paul Douglas reports the Twin Cities recorded a maximum heat index of 119 Tuesday, tying its all-time record. Minneapolis also set a new (unofficial) record for dew point temperature (a measure of humidity), which reached at least 82 degrees.

Amazingly, Douglas found Moorhead, Minnesota - located just over the border from Fargo (North Dakota) - had its heat index soar to a sweltering 134 degrees, the hottest on record for the state. It's dew point climbed to 88, also a state record. Moorhead's heat index was the highest anywhere in the entire world Tuesday!

Reading that I guess I was wrong when I said it was a once in a century event. Actually, heat like that had NEVER happened in Minnesota before. At least not since we began keeping records. How you gonna plan for something that never happens?

For the most part I agree with what you say about black cattle. Regardless of what some will tell you, it's been proven time and again that darker hides and the way cattle are fed contributes to heat losses. If and when feedlots start to lose money on black cattle then the demand for them will drop. Then, and only then, will there be a shift away from black cattle. If that ever happens it will happen slowly. Most of the nations commercial cow herds are black and, black being dominant, most producers aren't going to be able to change that overnight.

inbredredneck":99xlxzjw said:
djinwa":99xlxzjw said:

As far as sprinklers go they had plenty of access to both sprinklers and drinking water in the lot. However the day before I turned these cattle into a harvested pea field, they wanted nothing to do with leaving the openness of the pea field for the cement of the feedlot. As far as shade goes we opened the fence between the pea field and the corn field, the cattle came out of the corn as fast as they went in. Google Corn and Evapotranspiration and you will see why they didn't like that. Also I've never considered Minnesota to be in the South or Midwest.

Allot of cattle died in feed lots this past summer, most of it could have been prevented. Feeding grain in the summer heat escalates their body temperature, that is why most started feeding late in the evening or at night, so they could cool back down by the time the heat came on again. Turning them loose in a pea field or corn field in the summer heat was probably not a good idea, they ate and over heated themselves. Maybe look at controlling when they eat the next time.

RD-Sam":1252byfg said:
Turning them loose in a pea field or corn field in the summer heat was probably not a good idea, they ate and over heated themselves. Maybe look at controlling when they eat the next time.
Yeah I imagine the really over ate on all that black dirt left after pea harvest and a two passes with disc ripper. Maybe you didn't read but they exited the corn field as fast as they went in it. As far as their diet on that fatefull day, feeding them in the evening would have made no difference as they had not ate anything for the previous 2 days. You have no idea the conditions these cattle fought thru for 3 nights and 2 days. Thanks for the advice on how to do it right. How many cattle do you have on feed again?

RD-Sam":3dvrtl1i said:
[Allot of cattle died in feed lots this past summer, most of it could have been prevented. Feeding grain in the summer heat escalates their body temperature, that is why most started feeding late in the evening or at night, so they could cool back down by the time the heat came on again. Turning them loose in a pea field or corn field in the summer heat was probably not a good idea, they ate and over heated themselves. Maybe look at controlling when they eat the next time.
Feedlot cattle have been raised on high grain for ages. Grain is required to get the daily weight gain required to stand any chance of making a profit. Low quality forages require more energy to consume and digest than high quality corn and other grain by-products and at least with the grain you get some gain. In feedlots that IS the goal. Being hit with a once in a lifetime heat wave probably killed a few fine people as well and noone was to blame nor was diet. It's not something people or cattle can adjust to rapidly and certainly not something you would build your entire opearation around. As for color....hot is hot and 1/2 degree of temperature difference between black and red is hardly a huge factor. Addition of yeast to the ration can also lower temperature about that much but it cost a lot of money when you're talking about tens of thousands of head of cattle in a feedlot. This is just one of those things that breaks your heart, makes you blame yourself even thought it wasn't your fault and puts some operators completely out of business. Then folks wonder why meat cost a little more than they think it should cost. Gotta figure a bit in there for "risk".

inbredredneck":1hip2o9a said:
RD-Sam":1hip2o9a said:
Turning them loose in a pea field or corn field in the summer heat was probably not a good idea, they ate and over heated themselves. Maybe look at controlling when they eat the next time.
Yeah I imagine the really over ate on all that black dirt left after pea harvest and a two passes with disc ripper. Maybe you didn't read but they exited the corn field as fast as they went in it. As far as their diet on that fatefull day, feeding them in the evening would have made no difference as they had not ate anything for the previous 2 days. You have no idea the conditions these cattle fought thru for 3 nights and 2 days. Thanks for the advice on how to do it right. How many cattle do you have on feed again?

I've driven down I-80 through western Iowa and Nebraska a couple of times. Lots of feedlots through there. If you need any advice I'm your man.

VanC":28g3an5y said:
inbredredneck":28g3an5y said:
RD-Sam":28g3an5y said:

I've driven down I-80 through western Iowa and Nebraska a couple of times. Lots of feedlots through there. If you need any advice I'm your man.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Did you stay at the Holiday Inn Express?? :lol2: :lol2:

No matter the color of the animal ,I guarantee in that extreme humidity and high heat if any of them had underling health issues like pneumonia as calves they would have had a hell of a time surviving ,even under the best circumstances .

Just curious IBRN but how did the Holstein feeders ,dairy crosses handle the heat ,did they do any better because they have been bred for generations to handle a higher energy/protein diet ?

inbredredneck":1ki0dqmo said:
RD-Sam":1ki0dqmo said:

Lets put it this way, all of my cattle are black, and they have seen plenty of 105+ days with 90+ % humidity, so hot and humid when you walk outside your shirt is soaked in sweat in 30 minutes or less. Funny how we don't have any dead cattle though, no sprinklers to cool them down either, nor fans, I guess we must be doing something right in the southeast. :tiphat: Keep up the good work up there, you have it all figured out and need no advice from anyone, I can tell. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts