Thanks USDA

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim62":12vlyms3 said:
This is building up to some sort of a punchline, isn't it?? :???:

I doubt it.

I can't imagine what I would 'feel' if I went out and found that many dead in one fell swoop. I know the unpleasantness of finding just 1 dead. As has been said, the financial loss is bad enough and to a certain extent can be recooped, but that mental image, and the thoughts associated with it take a loooong, long time to diminish.

Katherine

I kinda have to side with Jim62 on this. I certainly don't mean to make light of this situation but inbredredneck has certainly been known to try and stir the pot around here from time to time.

inbred: If the above mentioned is not the case then I feel for you and I hope you can recover quickly.

Well I sure was proud of my angus cattle last summer. The heat here in the south was as brutal as I have ever seen it and they made it through somehow. I saw an article somewhere where they did a study that showed cattle from southern states hold up better because they have a heat tolerance built up somehow. I just knew my stockers were not going to make it through august, but they did and had a decent growth rate.

Sorry to hear about your loss. And that amount of money isnt even a scratch to cover the amount lost. Things like this is yet another reason to carry insurance. Just like for crops because you never know what will happen and when it will happen.

brierpatch1974":7ymc1x1m said:
Sorry to hear about your loss. And that amount of money isnt even a scratch to cover the amount lost. Things like this is yet another reason to carry insurance. Just like for crops because you never know what will happen and when it will happen.
What company sells a insurance against heat?

djinwa":odg7pd70 said:
I probably shouldn't ask, but since you brought it up...

Could you give more details? Feedlot? Color of cattle?

I've been interested in heat stress for awhile, especially as it relates to black hided cattle, which seem to take a much bigger hit in heat waves in feedlots. Wondering if it might affect the trend toward black cattle.
Feedlot, blacks had a 25.6% mortality rate and other colors had 8.7% mortality rate. However the cattle really didn't start to die until the fire trucks started spraying water, and only the black cattle came to the water in the air.

inbredredneck":12kahxby said:
brierpatch1974":12kahxby said:

Farm Bureau covers against natural disasters. It covers lightning too. I would look further into it on heat, but would think that would be covered. We are covered for quite a bit with our animals.

greatgerts":oeb7l0pe said:
inbredredneck":oeb7l0pe said:
brierpatch1974":oeb7l0pe said:

Farm Bureau covers against natural disasters. It covers lightning too. I would look further into it on heat, but would think that would be covered. We are covered for quite a bit with our animals.
I have all my insurance thru Farm Bureau, they do not pay for loss as a result of heat stroke and they never have.

Probably more taxpayer's money going to private business. I can't for the life of me figure out why taxpayers money is used to bailout private business. The government needs to stop wasting our tax dollars, if you can't run your business you need to be doing something else.

Sorry for my ignorance. I assumed insurance would cover extreme heat and drughts the same way it covers crop loss do to droughts, floods, and other natural disassters. Hard to believe a drough and heat killing crops is covered while livestock isnt. these events have the same cause and effect on each of the two.

BP

brierpatch1974":10m12zok said:
Sorry for my ignorance. I assumed insurance would cover extreme heat and drughts the same way it covers crop loss do to droughts, floods, and other natural disassters. Hard to believe a drough and heat killing crops is covered while livestock isnt. these events have the same cause and effect on each of the two.

BP
Thus the reason for LIP.

inbredredneck":zw406nxj said:
greatgerts":zw406nxj said:
inbredredneck":zw406nxj said:

I have all my insurance thru Farm Bureau, they do not pay for loss as a result of heat stroke and they never have.

I think the only insurance that would cover that would be for full mortality and for that you are looking at sometimes 300+ bucks a year per insured animal as well as a health cert form a vet. The only guys I know that carry an everything clause are the fellas/companies with expensive AI bulls and flush cows.

I cannot even begin to imagine to know how to recover/move on from a day like that, it would wear very heavy on a persons shoulders and not just the financial burden either.

inbredredneck":nojn9ppr said:
djinwa":nojn9ppr said:
I probably shouldn't ask, but since you brought it up...

Could you give more details? Feedlot? Color of cattle?

I've been interested in heat stress for awhile, especially as it relates to black hided cattle, which seem to take a much bigger hit in heat waves in feedlots. Wondering if it might affect the trend toward black cattle.
Feedlot, blacks had a 25.6% mortality rate and other colors had 8.7% mortality rate. However the cattle really didn't start to die until the fire trucks started spraying water, and only the black cattle came to the water in the air.

Thanks for the info. A bit of a different scenario, but perhaps the reason the blacks came to the water was they were feeling more effects from the heat.

Seems these stories are becoming more common, and as I said, you have to wonder if we're going to rethink the trend toward black. Cattle need every advantage they can get to deal with heat. Either change color, or spend alot of money on shade.

http://vetmed.iastate.edu/vdpam/extensi ... eef-cattle

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

Lots of carefully worded posts are going on here. Please post an honest story so we can all learn from it. Original poster is hiding details.

Dixieangus":3ifvn85r said:
Im still not seeing the cause of death? Heat stroke?
Of course it was heat stroke, I told you that in the pm.

Pablo":34vgkxyx said:
Lots of carefully worded posts are going on here. Please post an honest story so we can all learn from it. Original poster is hiding details.
What details am I hiding? it was 96 degrees, a 83 degree dew point, bright sun, no shade and zero wind. Are those the details you are so interested in? How does this change the fact they died from heat stroke?

Sounds like animal cruelty charges should of been filed. I just hope it doesn't happen again. To many people put profit ahead animal rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts