Thanks for the response

Help Support CattleToday:

rancher4life

Reaction score
I thank you all. I did not mean to come off as if I were asking for a free hand out. I have never been given anything. I was able to buy my house n San Jose California a few years ago. It is now worth well over $600,000. plus. I will be puting it on the market to follow my dream of cattle ranching. For the tax paying folk. I do believe I pay one of the highest taxes (property taxes) in the US. What I am looking for is knowledge in the cattle rancher's feild. I have printed out some of great suggestions. I will start there and then add them to my note book. All information will be taken and I will continue to ask specific question. Remember, we are all tied togother with 6 drgrees of seperation.

Rancher4life

Well stated rancher4life,,,regarding the fact that we're all tied together. It sure does help to remind people (including me,,,lol,,) of that. Since this is the beginners section of this discussion forum,,,i believe there's really no inappropriate questions - and, IMHO,,,it's important for all of us to give plently of slack to those who are just beginning - but have admirable goals in mind.

Speaking of goals, rancher4life,,that's one of the first things i'd encourage you to do in your cattle enterprise (before u purchase land,,before u buy cattle,,and so forth). When my family and I went thru our ranch goal setting process,,,it made all the difference in the world!! If you have family members,,i'd encourage you to include them in this goal setting process too.

It's helped us to make (what we consider) good decisions as we run the various enterprises on our place. Working with mother nature and the outdoors shore ain't for the faint of heart and we need all the help we can get!!,,lol,,,

Hey there Rancher4Life. Glad to see that some people out there are starting to tire of city living. Never cared for large cities myself, always made me claustrophobic.

So, where is this land you're looking into located? Have you decided on what breed(s) you want to run? Do you have any past experience with cattle (or other types of livestock)? Please don't mistake my questions as giving you the third degree. Just trying to be helpful.

I will say that working with cattle is not easy, nor horribly profitable. Even part-timers can attest to that. It can be rewarding, but you have to make it rewarding. Everyone who runs cattle gets something different out of it. That said, I hope it all works out for you. Feel free to ask about anything, remember: the only bad question is one not asked. :cboy:

Hopefully you will never regret investing your lifes saving into owning a peice of this good earth, and watching your hard work and persistence grow..in every way :D

Good for you - your place is worth more than all the land, animals and machinery we own!

I would suggest you need to look at where you want to go and factor in the most important portion of your plan:

THE FINANCIAL RESERVE!

No matter what you do, no matter how much you plan and no matter how much you figure you have the costs in hand - DOUBLE IT!

If I were you I would find the cheapest part of the country and buy the largest amount of "pre infrastructured" land I could find. Cattle are the last thing you need to put on the place.

I wish you all the best and would tell you that in the end you will work your butt off and at times believe you are taking three steps back for every step forward.

Best of luck and best regards,

Bez

Bez":3eo7g1ob said:
Good for you - your place is worth more than all the land, animals and machinery we own!

I would suggest you need to look at where you want to go and factor in the most important portion of your plan:

THE FINANCIAL RESERVE!

No matter what you do, no matter how much you plan and no matter how much you figure you have the costs in hand - DOUBLE IT!

If I were you I would find the cheapest part of the country and buy the largest amount of "pre infrastructured" land I could find. Cattle are the last thing you need to put on the place.

I wish you all the best and would tell you that in the end you will work your butt off and at times believe you are taking three steps back for every step forward.

Best of luck and best regards,

Bez

Take it to heart Rancher4life. Some of the best advice I've read.
Good luck, wish you well. Ask all the questions you like.

I don't know about that, its cheap for a reason isnt it?
And for someone new to farming, they may bite off more than they could chew if they followed that advice.

Better to decide how much land you want and of what quality, then look how much it would cost in various parts of the country.

Good luck to you, please don't be a stranger...let us folks know how you are doing and ask questions you'll get alot of answers that can help you make unfamiliar decisions and perhaps save you considerable $$$ and fustration.
Business plan....make one and stick to it! Even if this in not a business it will make you look at the whole picture and where your money and efforts need to be addressed.
Make sure the family is comfortable with the farm/ranch life, there will be some major changes from the bay area life style.
Again good luck to you....dave Mc

flaboy":2pza8eql said:
Just saw 13,000+ acres forsale in MO. First $4M gets it.

Just my luck. Checked my wallet and I'm shy all but 12 bucks of the $4m

dun

ollie":3vm6x6rd said:
That'll almost get you 5 gallons of gas!

I remember when we'ld aquack if there wasn;t a price war on so we had to pay over 20 cents a gallon. Now it goes up 20 cents a gollan at a time.

dun

I bought gas in East St.Louis in November for 59 cents per gallon. Of course you had to figure your risk to be worth something. 2:30am.

dun":1ellnxgk said:
flaboy":1ellnxgk said:
Just saw 13,000+ acres forsale in MO. First $4M gets it.

Just my luck. Checked my wallet and I'm shy all but 12 bucks of the $4m

dun

As with Texas Hold'em--You should have gone "all in" the other day when you had the "Royal Flush" Did you lose your wallet in the gusher?

farmer rich":2cv4oeho said:

I don't know about that, its cheap for a reason isnt it?
And for someone new to farming, they may bite off more than they could chew if they followed that advice.

Better to decide how much land you want and of what quality, then look how much it would cost in various parts of the country.

Actually, the "cheap" comment was meant to be used as a guide only. Unlike the UK, there are vast areas of fairly decent land in North America that can do the job and still be purchased at what you would find very under priced.

Cheap as in desert and rocks is - as anywhere - always available.

Buy the mostest for the leastest and put the infrastructure to it. Then bring in the animals.

Bez'