Thank God for Brand Inspection

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
This fellow leases several Indian lease pastures around me- having one that connects to the north- and one that connects to the east...Many of the cattle they've found belong to my neighbors- but none of mine thankfully...
Maybe always having my buddies Smith & Wesson along helped thwart his thoughts towards mine...I've observed every time we talked he obviously took notice.... ;-)

Man accused of cattle rustling
By Gazette News Services

WOLF POINT - A Poplar man is jailed on $250,000 bail, accused of rustling cattle.

A criminal information filed in District Court in Roosevelt County alleges that Richard Holen stole 37 head of cattle in eight incidents dating back to October of last year.

The document indicates that most of the cattle were stolen Sept. 4 of this year, and some allegedly were taken as recently as Monday.

The 48-year-old Holen was arrested Wednesday. County Attorney Ryan Rusche said Holen is charged with eight counts of felony theft.

The investigation was conducted by the Montana Department of Livestock, Fort Peck Tribal Fish and Game, Bureau of Indian Affairs Land Department, Fort Peck Tribal Law and Justice and Roosevelt County sheriff's office.

The county attorney's office said it is not yet known whether Holen has an attorney.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles ... stling.txt

now that was 1 cattle rustler that was to close to your pastures.i figure smith an wesson did make him leary of you.

$250,000 bail! Wow. Folks in Montana take rustling very seriously. Don't think bail for murder here would be half that much. My hats off to your law enforcement people. :tiphat:

Jogeephus":3d5ekvak said:
$250,000 bail! Wow. Folks in Montana take rustling very seriously. Don't think bail for murder here would be half that much. My hats off to your law enforcement people. :tiphat:

Well from what I understand the high bail may have came about because he's been on the run and hiding out for the last few weeks- and he's a convicted felon that has spent previous prison time...

This is one of those folks I never trusted....When I was Sheriff, our Drug Task Force took him and another guy down on what has been one of the biggest drug busts in this part of the country...They (and several others that were tied in) both spent time in the Federal Pen...

After getting released he got his Tribal member wife to lease many large Tribal controlled reservation leases at reduced prices using her "Indian Preference"...He ran a few cows on some but mostly he turned around and subleased these pastures (something the tribe is trying to stop) to the highest "backroom deal " bidder- but now it appears he wasn't satisfyed with just his ill gained leasing profits- but tried to make some extra in stealing theirs and the neighbors cows....

Oldtimer, being the sheriff at one time, I imagine it was hard to see these crooks serve portions of their sentences when deep down you knew these people would not or could not be rehabilitated. In my opinion, that would have to be tough.

Jogeephus":36sdhfa1 said:
Oldtimer, being the sheriff at one time, I imagine it was hard to see these crooks serve portions of their sentences when deep down you knew these people would not or could not be rehabilitated. In my opinion, that would have to be tough.

Yeah- I can't remember what all happened- since it was such a major case the Feds prosecuted it-and if I remember right these guys got lighter sentences for turning in several of their coconspirators including some of the higher ups in the ring...
So Its actually kind of amazing that they are breathing and walking the streets... :shock:

you might read the Fedral sentencing guidelines sometime, they are a little different than you might think. You have to make one hell of a deal to get much downware departure.54 days a year is the most anyone can get knocked of sentence.

Red Bull Breeder":1nbu6xz5 said:
you might read the Fedral sentencing guidelines sometime, they are a little different than you might think. You have to make one be nice of a deal to get much downware departure.54 days a year is the most anyone can get knocked of sentence.

But the prosecuter can make a deal to charge you with only 1 lower count instead of 20...Heck I know of a national candidate who's wife actually got a deferred prosecution for felony theft and use of illegal drugs- and then got the files sealed from the public on top of that.....
:???: ;-) :( :(

TNMasterBeefProducer":rlsfh1hn said:
I think they still ought to hang cattle rustlers like they did back in the old days. That would put a stop to it quick, fast, and in a hurry.

why not just bring back the guilitean? And you cant forget tar and feathering :help:.

Its good they got him and wow a quarter of a million bond. Thats the law enforcement in action.

Red Bull Breeder":39o33zl2 said:
you might read the Fedral sentencing guidelines sometime, they are a little different than you might think. You have to make one be nice of a deal to get much downware departure.54 days a year is the most anyone can get knocked of sentence.

I disagree. That may be what the guidlines say but money can buy your way out before you are ever set foot in a courtroom.

Angus Cowman":3dsiky0p said:
Jogeephus":3dsiky0p said:
Angus Cowman":3dsiky0p said:
need a rope and a tall tree would stop alot of crime

Yep! But after we hang the attorneys and politcians what would we do with the rope?
go after the wall street bankers and stock market traders and crooked CEO s

I was hoping to use some barbed wire and my pickup up truck for that. Thought it might be appropriate to wrap the SOB's in the wire and drag 'em down Walstreet.

Angus Cowman":3tzskjlb said:
Jo I like the way you think my uses for barb wire for rapist and child molesters involves a tall stump

3 nails and a shoulder high stump is what they used to use here before the Nazi freaks took over the Knights.

I imagine if we went back to some of these principles we wouldn't have repeat offenders and surely wouldn't need to register sex offenders in our towns.

Latest posts