Texas Wild Hogs, Lots of Them

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef":1hk76k0i said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1hk76k0i said:
I don't mean to :lol: at you Cert but "little ground hogs" are mean :?: :shock:

They sure are!!! :D :D :D
Yes they can fight. If you corner one it'll be teeth hair and eyeballs till somebody gets some relief. Surprising how fast they can move too. :lol: Not like a badger or a wolverine, but no fun in a tight spot.

Chuck":3eiq81ue said:
certherfbeef":3eiq81ue said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3eiq81ue said:

Yes they can fight. If you corner one it'll be teeth hair and eyeballs till somebody gets some relief. Surprising how fast they can move too. :lol: Not like a badger or a wolverine, but no fun in a tight spot.

Thanks Chuck. Guess ground hogs are a mid west thing.

certherfbeef":2ihrwgjr said:
Chuck":2ihrwgjr said:
certherfbeef":2ihrwgjr said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2ihrwgjr said:

Thanks Chuck. Guess ground hogs are a mid west thing.
And boy, do they taste good Bar-B-q'd or crock pot. One of the other white meats...

Oh the wild hogs can be mean too.....dont be messin round on foot huntin em. Mr. Lilly had a friend from work want to come hunt one year. So he came out expecting to bow hunt. NOT!!!! Mr. Lilly told him if he didnt have a gun he wasn't huntin, needless to say he found out why. He must not have been that great of a shot, because he had to shoot about 4 times.....in between each shot you could hear him holler, "ohchit"......last time......the thing was layin less than 10 ft from him. It was headed strait for him and had tusks about 5 inches long. Woulda ripped him to shreads if he'd gotten hold of him. It weighed about 350 lbs.

The hogs can really do a lot of dammage to a field like someone said. Looks like a plow has been there. I just hate to kill something I don't want to eat. I'm going to start setting the trap again now that it has cooled off. There are some people who buy them live so I might haul some to them. I can back the stock trailer right up to the front door of the trap and run them right in. It turned out that it was easy the one time I did it. I'm going to put another picture or two. The giant hog was sent to me by a friend, it was on the net somewhere.
1013_348.ts1064278402260.jpg
1011_348.ts1007180560000.jpg
811_348.ts1112233326000.jpg
812_348.ts1112233366000.jpg

we have them nasty hogs here in south ga also. They love to the row crops here had to replant a cotton filed last yr because of hogs. We had p-nuts there the yr before and when the volunter p-nuts came up the hogs moved in rooted up a 50 ac fiel over night.
We trapped 63 little ones there in a week. Our hogs are ones that have been trapped before and brought to our area by some not so upstanding people. We know this because about 6 yrs ago we didnt have any now they are every where. The big ones that have been trapped before will not go into a trap., No matter what you bait it with.

Do you have a hunting season for all those wild hogs ?? or are they even classified a a game animal ?? I wish we had wild hogs in Washington, i'd love to hunt a few for a good Bar-B-Q.

theres no hunting season on them.you can hunt year around.an kill as meny as you want to.scott

No huntin season whatsoever, kill em when ever ya see em. Can even be hunted at night with a spot light, long as your on your own place or have permission. They aren't a native species and are concidered a nuisance animal. Can trap em, hunt em with dogs, you name it. anything goes just about with these critters. That picture of that big one that was posted, we've had one that looked almost identical to that. Killed it and left it for the buzzards. Daggum thangs breed like rats!!!

Texan":j22kr2nz said:
BuckBenham":j22kr2nz said:
I've let most of them go.
Unbelievable. Things must really be different in South Texas. I think we'd hang somebody for turning hogs out around here. :x

I heard you on that and that picture with all of the ones next to the road explains it.

TPWD has a law prohibiting the release of wild hogs without neutering and vaccinating for bangs (brucellosis). This year they stared paying a bounty on hogs, too.

If it comes down to it, we take them out of the trap with a trailer and shoot them and bury them. Never release them. You'll never trap them again.

We trapped a 170 boar a few weeks ago. Sis had a BBQ with him and he tasted great!

Texas also has buying stations that love big boars. We sold a 256 pounder for $200. Not bad for 5 pounds of corn.

cowspider":2yqv55n9 said:
Do you all have public hunting property open to out-of stater's to hunt on??? if I loaded up the ole GMC and wandered that way?? :cboy:

Absolutely. In fact, TPWD had issued a call for bids to trap and remove hogs from the parks.

Some of these definately have hampshire in them. We've only got these rough looking, long snooted,razorback looking things here. Not many of them either. The boars are sweaty smelling things cooking. The sows are not bad though. These in the pictures look like they would be good eating. If you've ever killed your own hogs, how about that fresh tenderloin and ribs right off the hog before it ever got cold.

We cut the tenderloin up and fry it. Hehe few years back when my daughter was little, we sat down to eat, and after eating one, she asked for another "pork mcnugget" was off of a smaller hog, but still good eatin.

Wild hogs! :shock: I can't imagine.The more I am on this board the happier I am to live where I do. We don't have hogs tearing up the fields - gophers can be a bit of a problem but at least there's no chance of being taken down by one of them! :p
I find it incredible, we all have the common bond of cattle, but just learning about what everyone deals with in different places is fascinating. Raising my cows among wild hogs, snakes and alligators is something I can't even imagine. :shock:
It's interesting to read about it though! ;-)

Latest posts