Texas Wild Hogs, Lots of Them

Help Support CattleToday:

Those in the pics are feral hogs, it takes somewhere in the range of 3-5 generations to turn truly wild. You can tell by the colors of them. The one's we have around here are black with a very few having a red patch on them. I can't believe that anyone would let one go out of a trap! Once they've been trapped they get trap shy. We have a LOT around here. I've been trapping and night hunting them. You can eat a boar just as good as a sow, you just have to know how to handle the carcass and the meat. We've eaten both and I guarantee you couldn't tell the difference. Here's a small one I trapped.
hog.jpg

Your are right I believe, these are feral hogs. They are wild as jack rabbits and tough. There are some pure black ones, I've killed several. Once when I was sitting in camp looking down to the trap (I had corn in it and the door tied up to let them get used to the trap) I saw the trap fill up with as many as could get inside and one big black one was too tall to get in the door. I could see his tusks shining from a pretty good distance. It was just before dark.
I have caught the same ones in the trap more than once. I just can't see killing them if I don't have anything to do with them right then. I don't set it much, just when someone wants a hog or two. With as many as 16 in there at once I just didn't know what do do with them at the time. I just wasn't prepared. Now that it is cool again I'd like to have a nice one to eat.
bk

Buck -- in some parts of Texas from time to time there is apparently a decent market for the bigger hogs. The deer lease I used to have out near Llano was overrun with hogs and the sublessor told us to leave the 200+ pounders for him to trap, as he could get decent money for them -- supposedly some went to the asian market and some got sold in New York eateries as "wild boar" :lol: May be worth your time to look into it.

You might consider an ad or two in your local paper, to line up some country folks that might want to pay you a little something for a small one that they can feed out and then butcher. A friend of mine had a 400 acre oat patch up near Madisonville and had to resort to trapping to save his patch. The very first time out he caught two decent sized sows and 16 piglets. He ate the sows and sold all of the piglets in town for $5 or $10 each without much effort.

Don't know how you feel about gun hunters but it is something to consider, and also hog hunting is pretty popular with the archery folks. As you probably know, many Texas ranchers make a tidy pile of cash from leasing hunting rights.

Arnold Ziffle":v5tntago said:
Buck -- in some parts of Texas from time to time there is apparently a decent market for the bigger hogs. The deer lease I used to have out near Llano was overrun with hogs and the sublessor told us to leave the 200+ pounders for him to trap, as he could get decent money for them...

That's right AZ. Sale barns that handle swine will take the sows and barrows same as they will take domestic hogs.

I've seen a few that would tear up the sale barn -literally- not to mention the trailer getting them there. I sure as heck wouldn't want to load the darn things in to a trailer.

The Hogzilla in the picture previously was shot near Orlando, FL. The guy was having trouble with something tearing up his cattle feeders for a few years and didn't know what it was. The hogs hooves led him to believe it was just one of his cows or bulls. He went to check the herd one day and saw one of his cows down in the pond, thought it looked different. Hogzilla saw him and charged. Luckily the guy had trusty iron in the truck with him and capped it.

I didnt know the answer to your question, we've always called em russian boars, so I assumed they came from russia. But after reading your question it made me wonder too, where did they come from since they aren't native.'

Here's what I found out....

There are 23 subspecies of hogs worldwide (most of them warty), but there is only one species in the US: Sus scrofa (The family is Suidae, thus the hog call, "sui".) Just as our countless breeds of dogs were all derived from the wolf, our varieties of domestic hogs and all of their feral relatives were all derived from the Eurasian Wild Boar. They are incidentally not at all related to the southwest's javalina (collared peccary).

"The ancestors of the hog go back to the Ice Age, and their domestication was somewhere between 5000 to 9000 years ago. The American continents have no native hogs as the cold, snow and glaciers of the Ice Age blocked the hog's access to the North American Continent. Columbus in 1493 brought 8 hogs to the West Indies. Importation to the American mainland was in the mid 1500's by Cortez and De Soto, and in the mid 1600's by La Salle. Pure Eurasian boar were not brought here until they were imported for sport hunting in the early 1900's.

In the US the pure Eurasian hog is classed as an exotic, and the rest of the wild boar, originally domestic animals gone wild, are feral."

from this website....

http://www.suwanneeriverranch.com/wild-boar.htm

Carlos D.":3484wov1 said:
Are these wild hogs native to texas --or were they brought in from some place?

My clan hauled a bunch of them in from Alabama in the early 1800's we called em Piney Wood Rooters. Man I am excited this morning I thought we just had hogs now to find out they exotic.

Caustic Burno":5kczwy0p said:
Carlos D.":5kczwy0p said:
Are these wild hogs native to texas --or were they brought in from some place?

My clan hauled a bunch of them in from Alabama in the early 1800's we called em Piney Wood Rooters. Man I am excited this morning I thought we just had hogs now to find out they exotic.
Almost as Exotic as Miss Piggy, Hah CB?

Victoria":1i2y599n said:
Wild hogs! :shock: I can't imagine.The more I am on this board the happier I am to live where I do. We don't have hogs tearing up the fields - gophers can be a bit of a problem but at least there's no chance of being taken down by one of them! :p
I find it incredible, we all have the common bond of cattle, but just learning about what everyone deals with in different places is fascinating. Raising my cows among wild hogs, snakes and alligators is something I can't even imagine. :shock:
It's interesting to read about it though! ;-)

Yeah it's pretty interesting. And we don't have to deal with the issues in 60 below zero.

For all you wild hog hunters (not sure of the date of this news release, just found it on another site today); please be careful:

News Release
Texas Animal Health Commission
Box l2966 * Austin, Texas 78711 * (800) 550-8242 * FAX (512) 719-0719
Bob Hillman, DVM * Executive Director
For info, contact Carla Everett, information officer, at 1-800-550-8242,
ext. 710,
or ceverett@...

For immediate release---

Goin' Wild Hog Huntin'?
Pack Gloves with Those Guns!

Texas is a sportsman's paradise for hunting wild hogs. With an estimated population of more than three million of the prolific feral (wild) animals roaming across the state, many ranchers welcome hunters to help with population control.

"Today, almost all feral hogs are actually domestic hogs that have escaped or were released from pens. With each generation in the wild, the pigs refine the traits needed to survive," explained Dr. Bob Hillman, Texas' state veterinarian. "The animals are alternatively praised for hunting,
and hated for damaging crops and fences, gouging holes in pastures, and killing young lambs, goats or ground-nesting birds."

"Like any wild animals, feral swine can carry parasites or diseases, some of which could be transmitted to humans. One is swine brucellosis, a bacterial disease that has been detected in about one percent of wild hogs tested. When handling carcasses, hunters should take basic precautions to protect against disease and pest exposure, and most importantly, prevent blood-to-blood contact with the animals," said Dr. Hillman, who also heads the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), the state's livestock and poultry health regulatory agency.

Dr. Hillman urged hunters to:
1. Avoid eating or drinking (or reaching for cigarettes or chewing tobacco) when field-dressing or handling carcasses. Don't risk putting "germs" directly in your mouth!
2. Put on latex or rubber gloves before making the first cut.
3. Wear long sleeves to avoid getting animal blood into scratches, open wounds or skin lesions.
4. Wear a dusk mask and glasses or safety goggles to prevent blood or bodily fluids from splashing into eyes, nose or mouth.
5. As much as possible, avoid contact with reproductive organs and fetuses.
6. Wash hands thoroughly and disinfect knives when finished.
7. Launder hunting clothes in hot water as soon as possible.
8. Follow safe-handling procedures with the meat and cook it to at least 160 degrees F.

Although rarely seen today, swine brucellosis can be contracted by humans, with symptoms that can include night sweats, swollen joints, back pain and general illness. If a hunter is cut while field-dressing a feral hog, exposed to the animal's blood or bodily fluids, or develops symptoms comparable to those listed, a physician should be consulted, so appropriate diagnostic tests can be run. Medical care and antibiotic treatment are essential for recovery, said Dr. Hillman.

"Hunters should not be overly concerned, but they should practice good hygiene when handling carcasses of any animals," said Dr. Hillman. "These basic biosecurity measures are a good habit to develop; one that can protect your health."

I've dressed out quite a few of these pigs now and so far haven't had any ill affects. I have always tried to be careful while doing the work.
The worse thing I've experienced is getting the fleas from the pig on me. These pigs have fleas and lice aplenty on their hides. I've been told that the lice are "hog lice."
Somewhere I got the idea of killing the lice, ticks, and fleas before I started working on them and remembered that I used to "dip" my coon hounds in water with pine oil/ pinesol mixed in. I started mixing up some of the pinesol/water mixture and spraying it all over the hog and letting them lie for awhile. I then used a water hose on them and washed them off, then started to work on getting the hide off. I was able to do this because at my camp site I have a well that allows me to hose them off. The bugs will be dead after this treatment.
I've been in on quite a few hog butchering days back in Oklahoma and the way it is done there, with domestic hogs anyway, is they are dipped into a barrel full of boiling water and then the hair is scraped off. This leaves the skin on and makes for a real neat job. I tried this with a wild hog and the hair is so thick and course that it just wouldn't slip like a tame hog's will. A layer of skin came off all over the hog which still left it looking pretty good. I might try that again.
BK

I just took a CEU for my pesticide applicators license in Franklin, TX yesterday. While I thought I knew a lot about controlling feral hogs, I did not know about their history.

What state were hogs first introduced:
A. New Hampshire
B. Texas
C. Washington DC
D. Louisana

The answer - A. New Hampshire. They were introduced in the 1500's in an enclosed area. They escaped.

True Russian hogs are only found in 2 states - Texas and New Hampshire.

Swine brucellosis is a very real threat to humans. A man was just treated for swine brucellosis after processing a wild hog.

While hogs have excellent sense of smell and can hear well, they can see almost as well as they can hear.

It is illegal to poison hogs. In fact, a man and his son from Tyler were just imprisoned for attempting that. They poisoned corn, which the deer ate and died from. The vultures ate the deer and died. The man and his son are serving 5 years for killing vultures.

Hey Ya'll, Thought I'd share. I got about a 250-300 lb boar Wed. night. I was stalk hunting and shot him at 15 steps from me. There were hogs practically all around me, I could smell them, and it is quite amazing how much noise they make. It is almost un-nerving at night.

That's great, Sidney. I bet he had a pretty thick gristle shield over his shoulders. Did he have tusks of any size? I've started making a necklace of tusks from large hogs, just sort of a corny thing to wear around the hunting camp --- like the old mountain man did with griz claws in the movie Jeremiah Johnson. But I don't suppose a young lady like you would have much interest in such nonsense. :lol: Good luck on your future hunts.

Yeah, the skin and gristle was at least an 1 to 1 1/2 thick. I had a heck of a time getting the backstraps out. He had about 2 to 2 1/2 inch tusks. I was going to make a european mount out of the skull but there was a rather large hole through his head :lol:

Latest posts