Texas Wild Hogs, Lots of Them

Help Support CattleToday:

BuckBenham

Reaction score
Saw an ad for wild hog removal on one of the Cattle Today home pages. They can realy rip up a pasture after a rain when the ground is a little soft. Here are a couple of pictues of some that I've trapped. I've had up to 16 pigs in that trap at one time.
1007_348.ts1022377052000.jpg
1009_348.ts1007180826000.jpg
1008_348.ts1007180500000.jpg

That's some kind of trap!!! I wouldn't want to be the person who has to unload it...wouldn't mind watching though! Or do you kill them before taking them out of it?

you sure did catch alot in that trap at once.lest those wild hogs wont grow up.scott

Buck,
What DO you do with those hogs? You eat'em by any chance or shoot 'em and let the buzzards do the clean up?

I don't just kill them. I've had quite a few people want one to eat. (The females are great, the males aren't.) I've let most of them go. I have roasted a couple and once for a company party, BBQ, I furnished 5 hogs dressed out and cut up to cook. Everyone raved about the good meat and most didn't know where it came from. Couple more pictues.
1010_348.ts1007927202000.jpg
808_348.ts1071872346000.jpg
809_348.ts1071872354000.jpg

BuckBenham":12k94fv1 said:
I've let most of them go.
Unbelievable. Things must really be different in South Texas. I think we'd hang somebody for turning hogs out around here. :x

Texan":17byc7f8 said:
BuckBenham":17byc7f8 said:
I've let most of them go.
Unbelievable. Things must really be different in South Texas. I think we'd hang somebody for turning hogs out around here. :x

I don't know the first thing about wild hogs so I'm wondering why this would be the case? Thanks!

No wild hogs here either. We have ground hogs but nothing like that.
What do you bait the trap with?

Thanks, guys. Mahoney, your response does an excellent job of clarifying the situation, even thought the wolves are in the northern part of Wyoming and I live in the southern part!

Msscamp, they can do enough damage in a Coastal hay meadow in one night to make a grown man cry. And the big problem is, they'll be back to do it again. Takes a pretty good disc to break up ground like some of the big boars do.

Cert, Mahoney is right, but I like to bait with sour corn. The more sour, the better. They can smell it for a long ways and it helps keep the deer and other critters out of it.

I'm definitely getting the picture and I can certainly see why it would not be a good thing to just turn them loose once trapped.

they aren't hogs that have just been "turned out" they are wild, russian boars, yes some have crossed with the occasional domestic hog that's gotten loose...But they have a totally different look than a domestic hog. Long snoot, big tusks, and the males have a shoulder plate...kinda like armor under the hide.
They can root up a hay field over night, make it look like someone's taken a root plow in and turned the ground.
They are good to eat (sows) but the boars have a hidious smell, that just won't go away. We have them here too, have trapped em in traps like that, snared em with lil wire snares attached to fence posts, shined em at night and come home with 4 or 5 at a time to dress out. But you can see them any time of the day. I dont know the proper word for a group of hogs...lol but we've seen "herds" of em with as many as 40 to 50 at a time. Oh and have seen boars weigh as much as 600 lbs

Our little ground hogs will get mean with you if you are between them and their hole. They will come at you and you better have the gun loaded.
I reckon these things are alot meaner hu?

I very much appreciate all the input and information I'm getting. I don't know the first thing about domestic hogs, much less wild ones. Thanks everyone!

Latest posts