Texas-size rattlesnake pic

Help Support CattleToday:

to me it tastes like chicken sort of but sweeter. and the texture is different of course.

4-H,

While In army special forces survival school in the s/w desert...snake sidewinder and rattler along with cactus frogs and scorpoins were our staple food....with some others thrown in.....we cut them into 3/4 inch medallions and pan sauted them ...not bad..especially when you are hungry. They taste a little like chicken...and the taste changes a little the longer they are cooked...to knda a sweetish taste. Cactus partially skinned... is good too..... brushed with a little olive oil and grilled.(I emphasize we were hungry!!!!!)

My Dad and most of my family live in and around Stephenville, and to tell you the truth, I have not even heard of this snake before this. If it had been found near there I would suspect someone in my family would have heard of it, but maybe not? Interesting though. I have an uncle that lives in Weatherford that catches rattlers for the roundup. He makes a lot of money doing that - I would never do something that crazy though!

Latest posts