Texas-size rattlesnake pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Hate snakes. We have some of the most venomous in the world. Our most savage one in our area is the Brown Snake,they can be quite hostile. The other snakes that we have are red bellied black snakes and blue bellied black snakes. There are some Copperheads and Tiger snakes as well.
There seems to be more of them about when its dry and hot and they are looking for water.
They recently found a Taipan down in the Clarence Valley to our east,they normally never come down that far south as the winters are too cool. They are one if not the most venomous snake in the world. They move fast and strike many times.
Our country is still very safe despite these reptiles. If you leave them alone they won't cause you any trouble.
Colin

Beefy":1icmtu0o said:
Well, i completely blame this posting for my little suprise waiting for me under the water trough this afternoon. i had jsut got the thought "i havent seen a rattlesnake on our farm (rented ones a totally different story!) in about 10 years" out when the help and i found a rattlesnake under the trough we were tipping over to clean out in the cattlepen. i bout shat in my drawers. and it was only about a foot long but still i had just put my hand about 3 inches from it (under the trough). thanks alot guys. :roll:
============
beefy..beefy...guru..beefy,

Living in snake country and putting your hand under something where you can't see? :oops: :shock: ...that's a no no! You must have been thinking about something else other than what you were doing.

Now you can't be offended if we refer to you as .."lucky beefy". :lol:

Wow...that's a close call!!!!

Beefy":23dvu9x8 said:
Well, i completely blame this posting for my little suprise waiting for me under the water trough this afternoon. i had jsut got the thought "i havent seen a rattlesnake on our farm (rented ones a totally different story!) in about 10 years" out when the help and i found a rattlesnake under the trough we were tipping over to clean out in the cattlepen. i bout shat in my drawers. and it was only about a foot long but still i had just put my hand about 3 inches from it (under the trough). thanks alot guys. :roll:
Did you get it properly murdered?

:roll: snakes aren't that bad. admittedly, poisonous ones aren't that nice, but they do have their uses. such as keeping the rodent pop down and hopefully some of the barn cats, too.

I live in Oklahoma and the two things I the most (snakes and ticks) are suposed to be real thick this year.

I know they are here for a reason...rodents...frogs..would probably take us over except for them...but, I just can't keep myself from killing them buggers when I get a half chance.

Last fall we saw a black racer/snake killing ..and watched him eat a copperhead 1/2 to 2/3rds his size. 8) The cucumber smell was all around the area they had been fighting. I just couldn't bring myself to take him when he was through. :roll:

I saw my first snake trap of this type yesterday. I was in a local wilderness area and came upon a short section of fence. It was about 12 feet long with tin on the bottom then it had a couple of about 6 foot wings off of that. At each end was a box buried flush with the ground. I ask the local ranger what the heck it was. He said they were trying to determine what type and how many snakes were in the area. I didn't look in the boxes but I was kinda flabergasted at this setup. This area is prone to rattlesnakes and copperheads. I just thought it odd to trap them like this. is this the normal setup for a snake trap?

bama,
Did the boxes have a netting over them..with a hole in it? Don't know what else would keep the snakes in the box...if it was d e e e p so they couldn't get out...I doubt they would go down in it!! HUMMMMM? Interesting.

Hope they killed them suckers after they count 'em!!! 8)

Bama":1qa1j46z said:
I ask the local ranger what the heck it was. He said they were trying to determine what type and how many snakes were in the area.

Ah yes, tax dollars at work. The wilderness ranger who doesn't know jack but will not hesitate to enforce ridiculous rules and regs to preserve and protect the wilderness. All he would need to do is ask some of the locals. They would tell him what type of snakes there are in the area. As far as how many, they would tell him "too many."

This area is prone to rattlesnakes and copperheads.

You already knew that, hu Bama. Bet you didn't need a wilderness ranger with a biology degree to tell you either. Ha.

I just thought it odd to trap them like this.

Once again, your hard earned tax dollars at work.

Craig-TX

He said that there were about 20 traps in the wilderness. I only saw the one. He said some of them had 5 gallon buckets at the end. I didn't look in the box I don't know how deep it was. I think I'll go back and get a better look. I can't figure out what holds the snakes once they get in the box. What if a hungry king snake gets locked up with a meal. This leaves me with more questions. The ranger said that Alabama A&M university was doing the study. They aren't wellknown for studies like that.I gotta take another look. Its funny the rangers can tell you about stuff on the roads. They don't know hardly anything about stuff away from a road.

most (all?) box snake traps have a funnel design which keeps them from getting out. you'll probably see this if you go back and take a look. you can bait these or put them on a winged fence. pretty common. was a wildlife biology major for a year and half. :roll:

When we bought a piece of property with a VERY OLD house on it that nobody'd lived in for years and years, we went and looked under a big piece of plywood that covered an old well (I think)...anyway, in the well were a lot of dirt ledges, and MANY black snakes of all sizes "sleeping" (I guess)...I think it was winter at the time...creepy...couldn't wait to put that plywood back....!

A friend took care of our animals for a couple of days last summer...she saw a copperhead leave the barn (slithering toward one of the donkeys) so she stepped on it repeatedly to kill it and when she did this, numerous 1" baby copperheads emerged and she stepped on them too....all this while wearing flip-flops yet!!! Gotta wonder about her sometimes....

The snake trap I was referring to was not bought, it was handmade. I still gotta go back and look at the boxes at the end.

yeah mice, frogs, whatever is around that the snakes would normally eat. do a search for snake trapping, i'm sure you'll get results. the ones we used in school were made not bought. you know the cones like they put under duck boxes or birdfeeders...same idea. also you can get the snake "fence" to put around ponds, they just get tangled up in it.

Latest posts