Texas-size rattlesnake pic

Help Support CattleToday:

txag

Reaction score
Arnold Ziffle":sfu7hdbm said:
Speaking of rattlers, I've emailed a picture of a monster to "txag" to see if she can post it here on the boards for folks to see. I imagine that many quail or dove hunters would quickly get a case of "soiled drawers" if they were to walk up onto a rattler like the one in the picture. :shock: Supposedly its an 89 pounder and just under 8 feet long!

ok, AZ, i can take a hint. time to get that picture posted. :lol: :lol:

4fd1c369.jpg

whew... that is quite a snake and it gives me the creeps just looking at it... sure would hate to walk up on that dude..

jt

I wouldn't want to eat this one, he would be really rotten by now. I got this same picture a year or year and half ago.

I was told that the snake wasn't as big as they are saying, as you can see the guy is holding him way out in front of him several feet closer to the camera, which makes him look bigger, also, the snake is not dragging the ground.

cul8r":2nddqcqw said:
I wouldn't want to eat this one, he would be really rotten by now. I got this same picture a year or year and half ago.

I was told that the snake wasn't as big as they are saying, as you can see the guy is holding him way out in front of him several feet closer to the camera, which makes him look bigger, also, the snake is not dragging the ground.

When you catch a big one hold it close to your body for the picture so we can see how big it is.

:roll:

txag":1ctdeedf said:
Arnold Ziffle":1ctdeedf said:
Speaking of rattlers, I've emailed a picture of a monster to "txag" to see if she can post it here on the boards for folks to see. I imagine that many quail or dove hunters would quickly get a case of "soiled drawers" if they were to walk up onto a rattler like the one in the picture. :shock: Supposedly its an 89 pounder and just under 8 feet long!

ok, AZ, i can take a hint. time to get that picture posted. :lol: :lol:

4fd1c369.jpg
I think that picture might be photo chopped. An 89 lb rattler and the guy is holding it up with one hand? Not likely unless he puts his cape on in a phone booth. Bout as true as the mountain lion killin mule I'm sure. ;-)

his right hand is holding the end of the stick, he is using two hands.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1jnmghut said:
Salicylic":1jnmghut said:
I see that now. Thanks for pointing it out. Still don't think it's true. :cboy:

MPR, I was thinking the same thing earlier, but if you'll notice also, the stick he is using is starting to bow close to the part where it goes through the snake.

Any idea how they killed it? I dont see any bullet holes or large chunks missing from a shotgun blast. Dont believe I'd be chasing that one down with a shovel or a machete either, now that I think about it. :D

eric":3kqscdf3 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3kqscdf3 said:
Salicylic":3kqscdf3 said:
I see that now. Thanks for pointing it out. Still don't think it's true. :cboy:

MPR, I was thinking the same thing earlier, but if you'll notice also, the stick he is using is starting to bow close to the part where it goes through the snake.

Any idea how they killed it? I dont see any bullet holes or large chunks missing from a shotgun blast. Dont believe I'd be chasing that one down with a shovel or a machete either, now that I think about it. :D

He's still alive in that pic.

It's alive. The grass is green but it's probably a safe bet he caught it on a snake hunt. If it's cool enough to wear a jacket it's cool enough that the rattlers will still be in their dens or sunning just outside them. Odds are that he gassed a den. I'd bet he got a bunch more than that if the den had one that big in it. No telling if the reported length and weight are accurate. But it's a big snake.

Craig-TX

Many thanks to txag for posting the picture -- I was WAY too computer challenged to get it from my email to this site. The picture in the original email is much larger, and it seems clear that the guy's right hand is holding the other end of the "stick". Also notice how the guy's left arm is held right up against his body for additional support, which to me is indicative of a pretty heavy load being held. In the larger picture the stick in fact looks to be a steel bar with a hooked end, a bit similar to a crowbar, and it looks like the guy sort of stabbed the snake with it. He's sure not just hanging limp on the end of the rod so it appears that the snake, though severely wounded, is still very much alive; I sure wouldn't want to hold him real close to my body! The brief story that came to me along with picture is that the snake was caught & killed on a late season dove hunt near Stephenville, Tx.

I have no idea how long that email has been circulating or how tall the guy is, and clearly the snake is somewhat closer to the camera than the guy, causing some optical illusion effect (I don't think near as much as with some of the trophy bass pictures one sees) so clearly there is some validity to Cul8r's observation. But its a darn big snake in any event and I sure wouldn't want to have an unplanned close encounter with him!

Craig-TX":2dy9cm5s said:
It's alive. The grass is green but it's probably a safe bet he caught it on a snake hunt. If it's cool enough to wear a jacket it's cool enough that the rattlers will still be in their dens or sunning just outside them. Odds are that he gassed a den. I'd bet he got a bunch more than that if the den had one that big in it. No telling if the reported length and weight are accurate. But it's a big snake.

Craig-TX
It is a Rattlesnake! 'Nuff said! That dog in the background doesn't seem too happy either.

DOC HARRIS":1f9d6uih said:
Craig-TX":1f9d6uih said:

Craig-TX
It is a Rattlesnake! 'Nuff said! That dog in the background doesn't seem too happy either.

"WELLLLLLLL! That certainly answers that argument - - - -doesn't it?"

That's not the guys real head. I guess the names and faces have been changed to protect the innocent.

Well, i completely blame this posting for my little suprise waiting for me under the water trough this afternoon. i had jsut got the thought "i havent seen a rattlesnake on our farm (rented ones a totally different story!) in about 10 years" out when the help and i found a rattlesnake under the trough we were tipping over to clean out in the cattlepen. i bout shat in my drawers. and it was only about a foot long but still i had just put my hand about 3 inches from it (under the trough). thanks alot guys. :roll: